BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 6d, 14h, 11m | CPU: % | MEM: 7745MB of 24567MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Living with Windows XP RTM. Is it possible?        Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:33 pm 

Favourite OS
Anything but with Aero
Well, today i installed(and i writting in this os right now), and Firefox 10.whatever esr is working fine.
But using as everyday os? what do you think (Besides upgrading to SP3)

Discord account: winnet#6215 (avaible all time)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Living with Windows XP RTM. Is it possible?        Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:04 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows XP MCE 5.1.2600.1106
Other than the usual, "you shouldn't use *os without any updates in years as an everyday os". Other than some abandonware you will have a tough time finding any modern software that will run on it, almost everything requires at least SP2.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Living with Windows XP RTM. Is it possible?        Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:50 pm 
Donator

I will never understand the masochistic behavior that children on YouTube put themselves through for these "use a time piece as a daily driver in 2017!!!?!!!11eleven" posts. No, why? Why bother? For any new task you will do you will spend hours trawling the web for an ancient version. Obviously because you're artificially limiting the service pack, you have giant security holes. Mozilla is finally calling it a day with support for Windows older than 7. You will not get root certificate updates, and as encryption standards evolve you will be locked out of more and more of the internet. Gaming selection will thin out to the system's era. Will you be able to do office work? Sure, but that's it.

It's 2017 and unless you're some unfortunate sap who is stuck supporting an extremely poorly written enterprise application that is bound to that OS and that generation of hardware, it's time to give up the ghost and treat it for what it is. A museum piece.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Living with Windows XP RTM. Is it possible?        Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:05 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
OpenNT
Well everything is possible. If you're able to find and feel comfy to use ancient versions of software, like Office 2000 or XP (2003 requires SP1a). Also it depends for what you're going to use that PC. If only for stuff computers were used in 2000s then it'll work like a charm (no HD videos or youtube watching). In fact, I did and experiment last March and I lived entire 2 weeks with Windows 3.11. But the only thing I used that PC was playing DOS games, browsing some ancient webpages and using Word for Windows.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Living with Windows XP RTM. Is it possible?        Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:55 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Of course it's possible, but is it wise? Not sure why you'd do it unless you absolutely have to, e.g. due to old hardware or legavy app support). And even in the latter case you have virtual machines and such...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Living with Windows XP RTM. Is it possible?        Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:57 pm 

Favourite OS
Anything but with Aero
Well, my expirement is ONLY using web browser, no games (I'm such a bronze gamer).
Using Old Apps. And Making your hobby on your PC(a.k.a. Painting).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Living with Windows XP RTM. Is it possible?        Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:28 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
OpenNT
So then just install it to VirtualBox and play with it as long as you want to.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Living with Windows XP RTM. Is it possible?        Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:51 pm 

Favourite OS
Anything but with Aero
I preffer VMware. It's more stable, it can handle (better) aero.
P.S. i got 2 ORIGINAL windows xp home sp2 disks, but i don't know where these discs are.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Living with Windows XP RTM. Is it possible?        Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:07 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
There be viruses - antivirus programs will not work, only if older ones. Then, it functionality lose much more than without at least sp3. Oh, and dont forget updates that needed by some programs, WMP for example. It's better to use WLP or PosReady systems, but they cost too much $

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Living with Windows XP RTM. Is it possible?        Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:53 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Win10 v1703
I've done this "Use an old OS as a main one for a certain period of time" project before, 2 years ago I've tried to use Windows 2000 on an HP e-PC computer as a main system for a few days, Was it worth it? Depends... Internet browsing was 50/50 for me because while some basic sites worked fine, Others stated that my browser (Firefox 3.6) was outdated and launched the mobile version of the site, Not to mention the changing standards of the internet and the risk of being exposed to threats.

For productivity work, It may be interesting to try as long as you know what software to use, I personally do typewriting on a Windows 2000 laptop with Notepad, and used Office 95 just for the heck of it.

TL;DR, To answer your question. I agree with most of the other responses, I'd keep internet browsing to a minimum and mainly focus on offline work if you're serious about keeping the system in good shape for this experiment.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Living with Windows XP RTM. Is it possible?        Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:54 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows ME
It is possible but I wouldn't recommend it, unless you must use some software that doesn't work with a more modern OS.
And if it is a weaker system (less than 2GB RAM, single core etc.) than I would simply install some linux variant on the PC.
Not only because of security, but also usability. I normally prefer Windows over Linux, but Windows XP is showing its age and for browsing the web Linux is absolutely fine.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Living with Windows XP RTM. Is it possible?        Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:36 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Pencil and paper
Were there any significant usage differences between XP RTM and SP3? I don't recall that there were.

There were a few drivers and possibly application that broke on later service packs. And likewise many newer applications for XP expect a later SP version for API compatiblity.

But for day to day use, I would expect them to be about the same.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Living with Windows XP RTM. Is it possible?        Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:13 am 

Favourite OS
NT 5 & 6
SP2 and 3 had some changes to API, hence why those some apps do version check on SP level
but since XP is abandoned, no reason to run SP0 level

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Living with Windows XP RTM. Is it possible?        Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:23 am 
Donator

I'm running 50.1.0 on my XP machine.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Living with Windows XP RTM. Is it possible?        Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:46 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
NT3.X Family
First few days you'll get your high and feel great about happily using this OS.
Then you'll want to do more, and start encountering limits as to just what you can and can't do.
Soon you're kicking yourself in the rear because you got so burrowed in going back and forth between "I have to keep it" or "I have to leave it".

Next thing you know, you're back on something newer. That's just how it works.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Living with Windows XP RTM. Is it possible?        Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:29 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Amiga OS3, LH 4074 DWM
(For me, when i try to use old os , is only because of the Theme/skin, if for exemple Windows 10 lets me got the fully theme of Windows 95 or XP or Longhorn .etc..
i will use Windows 10.) Its a bit possible with theme modification , for sure.. but never 100%.))

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Living with Windows XP RTM. Is it possible?        Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:30 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows XP
Keep in mind that if you're going to run XP RTM you are going to have most-- if not all-- the same limitations of Windows 2000. Windows 2000 may perform faster.

The majority of programs dropped support for Windows 2000 at the same time that they dropped XP RTM and SP1.

Firefox 12 and 10 ESR are the final official versions, Flash 11, Office 2003, etc. Google Chrome, released in 2008, was never released for Windows 2000, and was not designed to run below XP SP2 (System requirements Google Chrome Beta). You can get old portable versions to run if you wish.

XP does have a nice interface, and some functionality already built in (IE 6, compressed folders, unzipping, etc) that might make it your worthwhile. Otherwise, Windows 2000 may run faster on the same hardware.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Living with Windows XP RTM. Is it possible?        Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:43 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7(Build 7601)
Yes.my school is still using windows xp

我從使用 Tapatalk 的 SM-N9200 發送

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Living with Windows XP RTM. Is it possible?        Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:27 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows NT 4.0
DiaoSlime wrote:
Yes.my school is still using windows xp

我從使用 Tapatalk 的 SM-N9200 發送

Well, I think you misunderstood him, your school is probably using Windows XP with latest updates and service pack, as there is no sense in not doing it.

He wants to use the RTM version, which is the version released first, aka the original Windows XP (or SP0) with no updates at all.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Living with Windows XP RTM. Is it possible?        Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:54 am 

Favourite OS
Windows 7
Yes, it's possible. It's also possible to live with Windows 3.1. The question is - should you?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Living with Windows XP RTM. Is it possible?        Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:08 pm 
Donator

It's possible to live without a computer. 

Windows Defender for great justice! Bugs are an international trading company. I need to defeat the anti-debugging and obfuscation methods. It wasn't for Intel's absurd ability to load in ie6. Why even waste time with people in an envelope?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Living with Windows XP RTM. Is it possible?        Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:39 pm 
FTP Access

Well, as others said, can't you install in a virtual machine? Or you can install some light linux distro and install windows games/programs with playonlinux.... You didn't specified your machine resources, so i guess you want an old firefox's version due to low ram memory (for that you can use many linux browsers as well, such as "midori" and "dillo", each one with different capabilities) .
And if you need to reinstall it for some reason you'll need to install all the drivers again, pretty boring...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Living with Windows XP RTM. Is it possible?        Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:44 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
Wheatley wrote:

In this day in age, not really. Almost everything has gone online these days, and doing things on paper or through mail is done away with for the most part.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Living with Windows XP RTM. Is it possible?        Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:56 pm 
Administrator

MrFreeman wrote:
Wheatley wrote:

In this day in age, not really. Almost everything has gone online these days, and doing things on paper or through mail is done away with for the most part.

Ever heard of cellphones? Tablets? You don't need a computer or Windows to live a life...

Either way I don't understand why anyone would consider running any of these old OSes for any other purposes than nostalgia, research, history education or getting a really old application working, which would work just fine in a locked down VM. But not for everyday use.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Living with Windows XP RTM. Is it possible?        Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:49 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
mrpijey wrote:
MrFreeman wrote:
Wheatley wrote:

Ever heard of cellphones? Tablets? You don't need a computer or Windows to live a life...

Not everybody uses smartphones or tablets so you can't use that as an argument.

Top  Profile