Can't install 4074 on real hardware

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
Goldfish64
Donator

Can't install 4074 on real hardware

Post by Goldfish64 »

So I decided to attempt to install Longhorn build 4074 onto real hardware. Running the setup via booting from USB or from a PXE-booted WinPE 3 results in setup failing with the "an error occurred while preparing Windows setup to boot into next..." error.

Any suggestions?
Goldfish64

BetaOS

Re: Can't install 4074 on real hardware

Post by BetaOS »

I can try on my Old laptop. But It doesn't run From USB

Wysłane z mojego D2303 przy użyciu Tapatalka
I generally don't surf here anymore, but I might show up from time to time.

Kobi

Post by Kobi »

Goldfish64 wrote:So I decided to attempt to install Longhorn build 4074 onto real hardware. Running the setup via booting from USB or from a PXE-booted WinPE 3 results in setup failing with the "an error occurred while preparing Windows setup to boot into next..." error.

Any suggestions?
First you need to tell us on which hardware you are trying to run this build...

Lukas Marsik

Post by Lukas Marsik »

Goldfish64 wrote:So I decided to attempt to install Longhorn build 4074 onto real hardware. Running the setup via booting from USB or from a PXE-booted WinPE 3 results in setup failing with the "an error occurred while preparing Windows setup to boot into next..." error.

Any suggestions?
Use a CD or upgrade from a previous installation of Windows. Longhorn's PE wasn't really tested using anything else than physical media common for its time and it shows. I haven't been able to install any LH build that uses WIM setup using an USB, no idea about PXE but from what you said it looks like it's the same sort of problem.

Goldfish64
Donator

Post by Goldfish64 »

Kobi wrote:First you need to tell us on which hardware you are trying to run this build...
It's an HP Workstation xw6200 from 2004/2005ish. Dual NetBurst Xeons and 8GB RAM. It should be more than capable of running any builds.
Lukas Marsik wrote:Use a CD or upgrade from a previous installation of Windows. Longhorn's PE wasn't really tested using anything else than physical media common for its time and it shows. I haven't been able to install any LH build that uses WIM setup using an USB, no idea about PXE but from what you said it looks like it's the same sort of problem.
I will install either 2000 or XP (both are said to be supported in the readme) and do a clean install from there.

EDIT: I installed XP SP1 and ran setup from there which went without a hitch except I had to run the detecting devices stage in safe mode as it would instant reboot otherwise. What driver should I use for my 8600 GTS if I intend on getting DCE to work, if that is even possible?

EDIT2: On this hardware, it appears the "map memory above 4GB" setting needs to be turned off.

EDIT3: Swapped for a FX 1300 and got DWM activated:

EDIT4: Replaced the theme file with a patched one and I now have glass titlebars:
Goldfish64