Archive Access application & upload inquiries

Problem with the site? Got a suggestion? Got feedback? Post here and the staff will discuss it with you.
Hyoenmadan86

Re: FTP application & upload inquiries

Post by Hyoenmadan86 »

troublemind wrote:... once a user has access to the FTP, and downloads a specific item, is it allowed to share said item with other communities, i.e. outside of BA? i am sometimes contributing to another site specifically involved in archiving of floppy dumps, and have found specific dumps which they might also like to include.
You are free to share YOUR stuff with your community besides BA, while still keeping your FTP access, as long as you prove your dumps genuine and yours. Although I don't get why you would do that. If they lack stuff we have then means they don't have any better to offer for archive purpose. Then would be just a sort of incomplete mirror.

What you can't do is share OTHERS stuff found in the FTP. You don't have other contributors permission to do that. What you can do is contact the people who uploaded X or Y item to BA, and check if they are willing to upload a copy to the other site. But i prevent you. Many contributors of BA don't like their stuff running wild in the web. That's why they selected BA in the first place.

SistemaRayoXP

Post by SistemaRayoXP »

DanielOosterhuis wrote:I think the answer is pretty obviously no. If that was allowed, why wouldn't the FTP be open to begin with? Sharing anything from the FTP with non-FTP access individuals is grounds for a permaban.
The reason the FTP isn't open to everyone is because they want you to contribute something before. Some time ago BA provided many sites with software that appeared first here, many people came to register, posted 10 times and done, you've got FTP acess, but after sometime, the number of users and dumb posts was increasing by much and the releases number kinda kept the same, so something should be wrong. To fix this, the site became "closed" in the sense that you cannot "get in" without contributing, in this new way it's a win-win, the FTP gets a release and the user gets full access, and it also reduces the amount of shitpost. But you can share releases with anyone else. I understand you, I initially thought the same, but after some researching trhought the entire forum, I've "known the truth" ;) so it's kinda ok. But it's not exactly recommended to share the FTP, so any ocassional share is ok, but if you constatly share items, better suggest this people or group of people to join and to get FTP access

DanielOosterhuis
Donator

Post by DanielOosterhuis »

SistemaRayoXP wrote:
DanielOosterhuis wrote:I think the answer is pretty obviously no. If that was allowed, why wouldn't the FTP be open to begin with? Sharing anything from the FTP with non-FTP access individuals is grounds for a permaban.
The reason the FTP isn't open to everyone is because they want you to contribute something before. Some time ago BA provided many sites with software that appeared first here, many people came to register, posted 10 times and done, you've got FTP acess, but after sometime, the number of users and dumb posts was increasing by much and the releases number kinda kept the same, so something should be wrong. To fix this, the site became "closed" in the sense that you cannot "get in" without contributing, in this new way it's a win-win, the FTP gets a release and the user gets full access, and it also reduces the amount of shitpost. But you can share releases with anyone else. I understand you, I initially thought the same, but after some researching trhought the entire forum, I've "known the truth" ;) so it's kinda ok. But it's not exactly recommended to share the FTP, so any ocassional share is ok, but if you constatly share items, better suggest this people or group of people to join and to get FTP access
I think the FTP Mirroring rule is quite clear that any sort of sharing with non-FTP access individuals is strictly forbidden. Unless these rules have loosened up over the years, it's not OK under any circumstance.
FTP Server Contents
- Mirroring the contents of the FTP server should be for personal use only and distribution to anyone outside of the forum is forbidden. The reasons for this can be discussed with you if requested.
MCSA: Windows Server 2016 (70-740, 70-741, 70-742)
MTA: 98-349, 98-365

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

We don't mind the occasional sharing as what you download is your own stuff, but systematic distribution to external parties is strictly forbidden. If you want to share stuff then be also ready to contribute to help everyone. The FTP contents is for our members and everyone here worked hard getting the stuff.
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube
Misc: Archived UUP

Stannieman

Post by Stannieman »

If I want to open the threads for the guides linked to in the first post it tells me that I'm unauthorized to view it. Can this be checked?
If ur a pirate, say arrr!

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

I've removed all the links as they are are old and retired. Everything is already covered in the master guide we have.

https://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewt ... 39&t=32742

troublemind

Post by troublemind »

@mrpijey: sorry for asking this here, i am apparently not yet allowed to answer PMs yet. anything wrong with my application? i uploaded a rescan of the booklet as requested.

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

Well this is the right place to ask :).

I am sorry, I've had very little time with applications this week, I will try to process yours and other applicants stuff as soon as possible. You will [all] be notified when I've processed the uploads and applications.

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

All releases are supposed to be packed up in an archive such as RAR, but if you refer to software that hasn't been dumped from a media then no.

needbetabulidsfast

Post by needbetabulidsfast »

Has my files been checked, I actually took photos and added more than what was in my other .rar

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

Impatient are we? :). I will sort it out as soon as I can.

JonathonWyble

Post by JonathonWyble »

Right. So I recently tried to upload something to the FTP, but it didn't really work out. I put the MDF image and the pictures of the media into a 7z file, and then added it to the uploaded folder, but apparently that is very rarely paid attention to. When you upload something to the FTP, do you just leave your file in the upload folder until it is fully added to the FTP?
Offtopic Comment
Sorry for playing a game of "50 questions" lately. I just don't have too much experience in using FTP servers 8-)

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

Yes, once the file is done uploading it's on the server, so all that's left for you to do is to wait for mrpijey to process it.
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

SistemaRayoXP

Post by SistemaRayoXP »

Take in mind that mrp puts in priority the new members' uploads (the public account), that's why it seems that he takes longer to process FTP members' uploads.

JonathonWyble

Post by JonathonWyble »

Overdoze wrote:Yes, once the file is done uploading it's on the server, so all that's left for you to do is to wait for mrpijey to process it.
Oh okay, thanks for telling me that. Also, on the FTP Servers page, it says that you will need to click the "create upload folder" button more than one time as mrpijey will delete empty upload folders. What does that mean?

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

JonathonWyble wrote:Also, on the FTP Servers page, it says that you will need to click the "create upload folder" button more than one time as mrpijey will delete empty upload folders. What does that mean?
No, it doesn't say that at all, you have just misunderstood it. It means that the leftover empty upload folders are deleted by mrpijey after he moves the uploads from them for further processing, so you always need to click the button whenever you want to upload something in order to recreate it.
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

It's not an idea situation I am afraid, but the only way to make it easy for me to keep track of what's new and what's downloaded. It will be better in the future where you won't need to recreate the folder unless absolutely necessary.

AshtonBetas

Post by AshtonBetas »

I don't understand what files I didn't put in (I got not approved) I dumped from Alcohol 120%. Then the files I put in were the .mds, .mdf, and the log, what am I missing (do I have to put a cd image in there, because I don't really have any good camera)

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

You can't skip parts of the guide and requirements, it's all there for a reason. If you don't have a scanner you still need to provide a good picture (not dark, not grainy, not out of focus) all according to the guide. And it's not difficult taking good photos even with an old camera. I will not accept any disc dumps without any artwork.

Lucas Brooks

Post by Lucas Brooks »

No, you need at least 600 dpi scans as described. Also admins on this site hates and looks down at people who don't have FTP right and simply reject whatever they upload while saying they do not meet the requirement. When a Donator or FTP member upload something without a scan, it will get accepted. Trust me, you can have a look at all those old threads and you'll see.

I know this will be removed but what I am saying is right. Also, please don't remove all threads that will affect your reputation, you cannot change the truth.

Darkstar
Donator

Post by Darkstar »

ComputerHunter wrote:No, you need at least 600 dpi scans as described. Also admins on this site hates and looks down at people who don't have FTP right and simply reject whatever they upload while saying they do not meet the requirement. When a Donator or FTP member upload something without a scan, it will get accepted. Trust me, you can have a look at all those old threads and you'll see.
Not true. Donators and FTP members also get their stuff rejected, it's just that we don't post on the forums every time to complain about it... The "old threads" you are referring to are probably from before that rule was created: Many years ago there was no requirement for scans to upload to BA (back then there were different requirements, however, like having more than X posts on the forum etc.).

You're probably just disgruntled that your own uploads get rejected because you are unable to provide scans or good pictures ;-)
I upload stuff to archive.org from time to time. See here for everything that doesn't fit BA

Lucas Brooks

Post by Lucas Brooks »

No, I know lots of other people who don't like BA much because they got their things rejected. I know that many years ago you don't need scans and you don't even need to upload something to get FTP access (10 posts). What a shame I didn't create an account back then (I know BA for a long time.

The rules are far more strict for people that don't have FTP access. Spend a day to browse through the forum and you will find many good examples of mrpijey being biased towards and against other people.

Darkstar
Donator

Post by Darkstar »

The fact that you cannot provide any example to back up what you're saying tells me that you're just angry for some reason, or that you know that you're making all this up. I've been here a bit longer than you have and I have yet to see any recent example where a contribution was rejected because of some sort of "agenda" against new users. In fact the opposite is true, mrpijey recently stated that he prioritized FTP uploads from new members before uploads from regular contributors, just to get them FTP status quicker. And now, with the database in place, you can even check yourself that this is true.

Sure there are lots of people who don't like BA because of the "strict" rules (which are not at all strict or in any way impossible, if you compare them to the hoops you have to jump through for some other private forums or trackers on the internet, for example) but the rules are pretty clear and apply to long-term members too.

As always: If you don't like the rules, you can just leave. Simple as that. Nobody forces you to be a member on BA...
I upload stuff to archive.org from time to time. See here for everything that doesn't fit BA

Lucas Brooks

Post by Lucas Brooks »

I know you've been here longer than me but I am here in the OSBA days (I signed up because I have to), I don't need to sign up for BA to read posts so I didn't until last year. I did read almost all the posts in the open forums.

When I was reading through the forum a month ago, I noticed those mrpijey's dislike towards non-ftpers.

When did I tell you I don't like the rules. I just dislike mrpijey's decisions and him being the way he is, and it is always good to have rules in place.

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

First of all, if you have any issues with me you take it up with me directly and not act out on the forums. I don't have any other feelings for non-FTP members compared to long standing FTP members. The guidelines apply to everyone, regardless of membership status or rank. If you're so much against our "strict" rules then you're free to continue on your merry way to a community where the rules are more relaxed and to your likings, but this is how we've setup the community and it's been successful for many years. The contribution requirements are the way they are for a very good reason, and everyone is required to follow them. If you have a problem with these you're free to get in touch with me to discuss it in a civilized manner and I will explain to you why we have them. In some special cases I will allow relaxing the requirements, and in some even enforce them, but it's on a per case to case basis and has nothing to do with your membership status or persona. The only way I judge a person is by his or her behavior and attitude towards this community and its members.

The guide clearly states you need a scan of 600dpi or higher, or if you lack access to a scanner a good quality photo against a clean and white background will do. It's all laid out in the guide for you to follow. But nowhere in the guide does it say this step is optional. Since the implementation of this guide dozens of members has managed to produce these scans and photos without any issues, and in those rare cases where people forgot them they were reminded of them and obliged. So it's not a very difficult task.

Those "lots of other people" that dislike BA can be easily counted and usually consists of those that refused to follow the simple guidelines or just needed to hate and act out against something they don't fully agree with. Agreeing with us is not a requirement, but following the rules and guidelines is if you want to be a productive member here.

Any further discussion regarding this should be directed to me through PM as this is a forum for FTP applications and upload inquiries.

If you upload a proper contribution I will review it and let you know of its approval status.

Thank you.