Would it be possible to install Windows 2K3 with the WRK?

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
coltonspleen

Would it be possible to install Windows 2K3 with the WRK?

Post by coltonspleen »

Is it possible to install Windows Server 2003 with the Windows Research Kernel already compiled and used as the main kernel? I'm just wondering as I'd like to try and do such (the WRK requires Windows Server 2003 with SP1, and not the R2). Just where exactly would I need to put the HALs in such an ISO? And how do you compile the kernel?

Stephanos

Re: Would it be possible to install Windows 2K3 with the WRK

Post by Stephanos »

For compiling WRK, look into this:
https://github.com/stephanosio/WRKRazzle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sReYsGqX52w

For HALs, use the following:
https://github.com/stephanosio/WRKRazzl ... P1HALS/x86

Note that WRK only supports non-PAE multiprocessor builds ( mp ). Uniprocessor (up) and multiprocessor PAE (paemp) builds are not supported.

Creating a WRK install ISO would be as simple as replacing the kernel (ntkrnlmp.exe) and HAL files (hal*.dll) in the ISO image with the one built from WRK. Note that only non-PAE multiprocessor installation would install WRK in this case since you won't get any other executables out of WRK.

coltonspleen

Post by coltonspleen »

Would it be possible to make the WRK usable in all processor configurations? This would require a bit of clean-room code (ReactOS style might I add), and the WRK is the only legal source code for any one of M$'s operating systems, so it's possible for someone to retarget it to all processor configurations "ntoskrnl.exe, ntkrnlmp.exe, ntkrnlpamp.exe (?)".

Stephanos

Post by Stephanos »

coltonspleen wrote:Would it be possible to make the WRK usable in all processor configurations? This would require a bit of clean-room code (ReactOS style might I add), and the WRK is the only legal source code for any one of M$'s operating systems, so it's possible for someone to retarget it to all processor configurations "ntoskrnl.exe, ntkrnlmp.exe, ntkrnlpamp.exe (?)".
Strictly speaking, WRK isn't exactly legal either in terms of what you are trying to do and also if you have not obtained the source code through official routes (i.e. through one of Microsoft Research programmes).

WRK is missing arb, kd64, pnpmgr, po, verifier and tens of source files from other kernel components. These "missing" components are provided in form of pre-built static library. In order for you to compile other targets, you will need to first reconstruct those pre-built portions in source code form (or alternatively, you could just modify all multiprocessor related code in the pre-built library to run on uniprocessor systems, but that's an ugly way to do it; and moreover, it would require an extensive amount of reverse engineering).

I can tell you that the missing portion consists of around 130,000 lines of code, and even ReactOS guys haven't finished fully implementing those (they only have basic functional pnpmgr and minimal po to get drivers to not crash, and no verifier at all).

coltonspleen

Post by coltonspleen »

I have tried installing the WRK with the OS itself, but SFC is getting in the way. Is there a workaround to disable the SFC in the install CD itself? I couldn't find anything in setupreg.hiv that could help with this.

Dibya

Post by Dibya »

coltonspleen wrote:I have tried installing the WRK with the OS itself, but SFC is getting in the way. Is there a workaround to disable the SFC in the install CD itself? I couldn't find anything in setupreg.hiv that could help with this.
patch sfc with nlite

coltonspleen

Post by coltonspleen »

How exactly would you do that?
Offtopic Comment
300th post!

LuLu
Permanently Banned

Post by LuLu »

it offers you in settings to patch it