What are the origins of the fake Longhorn sounds?

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
Longesthorn

What are the origins of the fake Longhorn sounds?

Post by Longesthorn »

I'm talking about those sounds that lots of people think was actually used in Longhorn builds. They also appear in the fan-made Royale Remixed theme for Windows XP (except the startup, which had its own unique sound). From what I've found, the sounds appear to be fan-made, though the startup and shutdown jingles sound fairly professional. This is one mystery I want to get to the bottom of.

Where do these sounds originate from? Who is the 'fan' that made them? Also, it seems these sounds are relatively old as the date modified date for all files is December 17, 2006.

cassiodoroVicinetti

Re: What are the origins of the fake Longhorn sounds?

Post by cassiodoroVicinetti »

If I am right, they should come from the Vista Transformation Pack or some other transformation pack.

DiskingRound

Post by DiskingRound »

cassiodoroVicinetti wrote:If I am right, they should come from the Vista Transformation Pack or some other transformation pack.
I believe it comes from somewhere hidden here [dead link]. The XP sound was used until a certain Release Candidate, after which they immediately used the sounds seen in Vista, 7 and beta 8... and just for those wondering... this is also fake. I don't know where it came from, but I'm certain it was never included in any builds.

These may be of interest:
https://channel9.msdn.com/Blogs/scoblei ... ng-session
https://channel9.msdn.com/Blogs/Charles ... sta-Melody

feandesign

Post by feandesign »

The sounds were actually made in 2003 and I think they were used in some sort of LH transformation pack.
Windows Never Released FTW!

BoltznNutz

Post by BoltznNutz »

Did Robert Fripp make them as one of the few placeholder startup sounds but were unused?

Longesthorn

Post by Longesthorn »

BoltznNutz wrote:Did Robert Fripp make them as one of the few placeholder startup sounds but were unused?
I highly doubt it. I don't think Microsoft would hire a name as big as Robert Fripp to compose sounds that would only be used temporarily. If Microsoft wanted placeholder sounds (such as the NT 5.0 startup/shutdown sounds, composed by Matthew A. Felton), they would likely hire someone who is cheaper and not as famous.

BoltznNutz

Post by BoltznNutz »

I didn't mean placeholder. I just meant it was a sound that he created during the beta Vista, but didn't want to reveal it until the final release. However, he didnt like those sounds (probably for him didn't sound very technological or sounded like a song) and started to make different sounds. Or someone else made the sounds that was in Microsoft. Because back then in 2006, when a person made a theme which he leaked the sounds, I don't think anybody could fake sounds like that back then.

windowsuser9999

Post by windowsuser9999 »

These sounds are fanmade, I listened on Vista Inspirat 2 (an skin pack or BricoPack for XP).
I don't know the origin.

YueLing11

Post by YueLing11 »

windowsuser9999 wrote:These sounds are fanmade, I listened on Vista Inspirat 2 (an skin pack or BricoPack for XP).
I don't know the origin.
These sounds likely came from Longhorn Refined theme from 2003, as these sounds dated back then. But original composer hasn't given, only creators of that theme.

Longesthorn

Post by Longesthorn »

Necrobumping this thread with new information that I have discovered.

The fake Longhorn sounds appear to originate from the Deep Fantasy sound scheme that was available on NEO Sounds in the 2000s. There was also an Orchestral sound scheme, but these sounds are too synthetic to be that, plus apparently an XP mod has that sound scheme and it sounds different. According to this page on archive.org, that seems to be where they come from. While Longhorn Refined has yet to appear in today's world, I'm confident it used those fake sounds, as the date on archive.org corresponds with the sounds.

bowling_ninja

Post by bowling_ninja »

Longesthorn wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:52 pm
Necrobumping this thread with new information that I have discovered.

The fake Longhorn sounds appear to originate from the Deep Fantasy sound scheme that was available on NEO Sounds in the 2000s. There was also an Orchestral sound scheme, but these sounds are too synthetic to be that, plus apparently an XP mod has that sound scheme and it sounds different. According to this page on archive.org, that seems to be where they come from. While Longhorn Refined has yet to appear in today's world, I'm confident it used those fake sounds, as the date on archive.org corresponds with the sounds.
Thing is though, Youtube user Billy O'Reilly who has tested almost every leaked build of windows and only includes real sounds in his videos has been able to date the sounds back to 2003, which doesn't match the neosounds copyright date on the website of 2004-2005, there's a chance that the sound scheme was up before 2004, but we can't verify due to no snapshots from 2003 existing. There are snapshots from 2001, but the website was "coming soon" at the time so it's not much help.

Longesthorn

Post by Longesthorn »

Yes, I'm aware that the sounds are from 2003. Good point about the website copyright date though. Also, on further inspection, that link on archive.org seems to have been added only a few months ago. I'm not sure how that person was able to trace them back to NEO Sounds, but I feel they could still be right seeing as the filenames I have for them correspond with the event names on the website. NEO Sounds was actually established 10 years before their website was in 2004, so it's possible they were available from another site before being moved to their own site.