Rebel Moon Revolution: rebirth of abandoned game

Discuss any beta and abandonware games.
WERTA BEST

Rebel Moon Revolution: rebirth of abandoned game

Post by WERTA BEST »

Hello everybody!

Maybe you can recall some announces in few game magazines about this game planned to publishing in 1997-1998 years. But in the end of 1998 the project was cancelled. In 2012 we managed find one unfinished demo version of Rebel Moon Revolution. In 2014 on http://www.Old-Games.Ru we start to revive this cancelled project on the The War in Heaven engine, so called REV Engine 0.9 (in fact, WiH - it is a Rebel Moon Revolution engine almost finished in 1999). I learnt during three months many text scripts of The War in Heaven files because ones absolutely identical to scripts of unfinished Rebel Moon Revolution files. Todays we managed build and set up one-level demo of new version of Rebel Moon Revolution (NEW resurrected version). Many features were enabled or added. We made two opposite brunches in gameplay: LDF – lunar militia/rebellion and UN – peacemakers/aggressors from Earth as well as it was used in The War in Heaven game (Divine team and Fallen team).

Here some videos about final version of one-level demo

LDF demo mission

UN demo mission

Information about demo
http://www.old-games.ru/forum/threads/d ... jte.68145/

Demo files to free download
http://www.old-games.ru/game/download/4576.html
1. Old unfinished demo 1998 (no gameplay)
2. New resurrected one-level demo 2015 (RU)
3. New resurrected one-level demo 2015 (EN)

Trev-MUN

Re: Rebel Moon Revolution: rebirth of abandoned game

Post by Trev-MUN »

... Huh!

I'm pretty sure I heard of this game's development back in the day, though to see actual video footage of it in action is something else entirely! The engine and appearance almost remind me of Activision's Battlezone remake ... though I wonder if Rebel Moon Revolution served as an inspiration for that more recent astronaut FPS game? Shattered Horizon?

WERTA BEST

Post by WERTA BEST »

Hi everybody! Happy Christmas!
We have added in the demo some music tracks from previous Rebel Moon games. Also speech sounds were added in the briefings. 'The War in Heaven' runic font was removed and replaced by modern style. It seems the demo finished, at all! In the nearest future we will resurrect other levels from Rebel Moon Revolution unfinished demo (1998) for the full game version.

You can see one-level demo in this video:

WERTA BEST

Post by WERTA BEST »

Hello everybody!
I finished second level (for LDF team). You can see all features in this video

LEOTCK
Permanently Banned

Post by LEOTCK »

You were right about the resemblance to x-com alliance.

Both the art style/models and even the engine seems to have a bit of touch of familiraity.

While this is not Unreal engine, it's possible parts of it were based on it. Given how much licensees/source codes of the early unreal engine were handed out.

One early unreal engine game actually ended up rewriting the entire engine to produce one of their own in 1998, but was cancelled anyway. I spoke to some of the guys behind it so I know. Perhaps something similar could have happened here?

Similar thing happened with Metroid Prime even though there it's even more obvious, its obvious usage of "fluidsurfaceinfos" and movers and static meshes, derived from the Unreal Warfare engine license hybrid, but of course in such big names it would be unthinkable to the general public (and hence why it's rather been silenced, but the metroid fans generally don't know a jack about the engines, however both MP and Unreal 2 related games have exact same behavior on certain things like the water surfaces, they look just the same especially when you clip outside of the map and enter the zone and the fog..). So I'd say this is more of its own engine than that of Metroid Prime when it comes to things related (it's obvious the renderer in Metroid Prime is directly based off the UW one), but this possibly could have started as early Unreal Engine game...

The 1998 demo of this game is already in October of that year and the earliest Unreal engine licenses (about twelve of them at first!) were handed out around June/July 1996. I'm not kidding here. And it already had *.ini config structure and more precise one compared to later versions of Unreal(and one that matches this game even more so).
All I'm saying is that if they got their hands on Unreal Engine early on, they would have by 1998 made a pretty decent re-write.
EDIT: All of that is a speculation though and it could have as well been coincidence in this case(not so with that of MP).

I did some research now on this, previously I just merely glanced over it.
I looked up the company and their history, there have been disputes with GTi for example, so these ideas might have been stolen by someone over there for example.
my main project, pls read latest news

https://www.moddb.com/mods/unreal-psx-r ... e-of-jrath

WERTA BEST

Post by WERTA BEST »

I finished that same level but for UN team. So, this is another point of view about combat. Unfortunately I have spoilered supersecret in this video.

Producer of Rebel Moon games is regullary writing in his blog.

About GT Incident and Fenris Wolf
http://voxday.blogspot.ru/2015/12/the-gt-incident.html

Interview with Vox Day (2015)
http://www.reaxxion.com/5962/game-desig ... ng-history

MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

The game looks pretty cool!

WERTA BEST

Post by WERTA BEST »

The third level will be very easy like as 'crash and destroy' type. You can see gameplay in this video.

WERTA BEST

Post by WERTA BEST »

I have finished 3-rd level for both teams (LDF, UN).

LDF team.

UN team.

WERTA BEST

Post by WERTA BEST »

Finished 4 level (LDF)

WERTA BEST

Post by WERTA BEST »

Four levels version of resurrected Rebel Moon Revolution (4 levels UN + 4 levels LDF)
https://yadi.sk/d/1oAmf7TvrihFa

Video (UN, Level 4)

WERTA BEST

Post by WERTA BEST »

Our intro for resurrected game...

WERTA BEST

Post by WERTA BEST »

Today we have a release!
Link for files of resurrected version Rebel Moon Revolution on Old-Games.Ru
http://www.old-games.ru/game/download/g ... 54&modal=1

WERTA BEST

Post by WERTA BEST »

Rebel Moon Revolution announce in Russian magazine Game.EXE (07-1998)

Translate in English
Did you hear something about Rebel Moon Revolution game? The title is smoothly known, but definitely nothing reminds for you? That’s all right, don’t worry. Developers from Fenris Wolf team was trying their attempts for 3D-shooter masterpieces creation during few years, they developed and published two games under Rebel Moon series. Both game
[IMAGE]
projects absolutely were not significantly noted by worldwide gamers community and due the despair the creators have decided change the line of game development into the strategy zone; those guys really have a perspective to amaze the fans of strategy genre. It’s because the fans of strategies are not very fastidious and so they will not be accurately counting FPS rate, but they are traditionally strongly claiming gameplay balance. And additionally, if it will have 3Dfx support, then they would be very happy.

Rebel Moon Revolution this is hybrid genre game including first person shooter and tactical game elements. This plot is very similar to “X-COM: Alliance” game, however it will be published in this winter, but not at the middle of 1999 as well as it was announced earlier. And now some bad news. The graphics engine will not be from Unreal, it will be own-made, developed by themselves (Fenris Wolf team), and this fact may be really the cause for depressing thoughts without any bit of optimism (you can recall and take in account the graphical appearance of Rebel Moon Rising, it was a previous game of Fenris Wolf). Protagonist will be leading the squad consisting of the four space marines, they will be fighting on the Moon surface at one region of Tranquility Sea. Here is a place where occurred Lunar Rebellion. The action will be going in the near future, also the developers have added USA marines codex, including combat instructions, hand interface signs, weapons and even soldier’s occiput widths! Even statistical data of Department of Defense was taken in account during modeling of tables with percentage distribution for body damages. Ladies and gentlemen, it will be seriously game!

The gamer will be able to play as one of four squad members, also he can control the squad from outside. It’s very interesting that before beginning of every mission you can make changes among the squad members and their ammunition. All marines have different specializations, you can give orders to submachine gunners, medics, technicians, heavy weaponry operators and engineers. Every one of them will make only his part of common job, and for you the main goal in game will be to manage them for concordant team actions.

Developers promise the characters will move like alive, they will able to jump, crawl, run, saluting, exchange of their ammunition, show special interface signs, and, of course, they will be truly hard suffering after injury and frankly hands up when they want capitulate.

Apart from common interface elements the developers will offer for us very revolutionary control - the voice controlling. Over 1000 voice commands will be stored in game settings, it will help us to more effectively control of the squad including wishes and swearing. Therefore you need quickly begin learn conversational English. So, what’s the interesting further? Truly physics, clever two-level AI, intelligent mission-builder. The builder will be strongly entangling every corner of Lunar colony (by the way, it is above four square kilometers…) which you always must fully keep in your mind with very hard efforts during your previous levels walkthrough, and after next entangled level will be appear as well as new again. We need to be waiting up for nearest winter and then we can satisfy that GT Interactive always fulfill their promises. Today we very pleasant for releases of such games and it means that in the nearest future, e.g. at 2000, maybe we will see improved X-COM on the Trinity graphics game engine at all.

I will be grateful for everybody who can find the English source for this detailed preview in American or European game magazines. Unfortunately, I can not find any Rebel Moon Revolution previews in American game magazines. It's very strange. The GT Interactive began publish previews in the June-August 1998. Also I had found Rebel Moon Revolution previews in "Secret Service" (Polish) and "PC Games " (Germany). I will post it in this thread some later.

Hallfiry
Donator

Post by Hallfiry »

You asked me via PM and here it is: Rebel Moon 3 content from the PC Player E3 CD:

WERTA BEST

Post by WERTA BEST »

Great thanks, Hallfiry!

It seems there were 7 (seven) Rebel Moon Revolution screenshots only which were included in Press Kit from GT Interactive. All 7 screenshots were published in Polish game magazine Secret Service, CD #58a.

I can add here another four screenshots to complete full collection (but ones are with "Secret Service" logo).

These screenshots are very interesting story. I well know all Rebel Moon Revolution files. There are not screenshots captured from gameplay. These screenshots were captured from 3D editor. In the Rebel Moon Revolution there are nothing such locations at all. But the 3D models of LDF soldiers were got really from the game resources. Unfortunately, some publishers may present a little bit of fake especially if their game projects were in strongly unfinished state.

Polish text in preview

Gry ukazujące się ostatnio nie należą do oryginalnych. Są to zazwyczaj kolejne klony C&C lub Quaka. Nie inaczej ma się ze świeżo zapowiedzianą przez GT Interactive grą pt. Rebel Moon Revolution, która to poszerzy grono FPP.

Revolution jest już trzecią częścią średnio udanej serii Rebel Moon, aczkolwiek w tym przypadku tytuł ma być w pełni adekwatny do tego co zobaczymy na monitorach. Przede wszystkim gra oparta będzie na nowym enginie graficznym, który to według producenta będzie mógł śmiało konkurować z samym Quakiem 2. W ogóle programiści pracujący nad RMR w wypowiedziach wielokrotnie porównują swoje dzieło z gierką chłopców z ID Software, twierdząc, że ich projekt jakościowo zbliżony będzie do króla FPP, a pod niektórymi względami nawet lepszy! (trudno w to uwierzyć, ale miejmy nadzieję, że tak będzie). Jednak nie grafika, a sama warstwa merytoryczna ma stawiać RMR w czołówce gier z tego gatunku. Tym razem nie będziemy już uczestniczyć w bezsensownej jatce, gdzie mordujemy wszystkich (wszystko) dookoła, nie wiedząc kim (czym) były ofiary i za co oberwały. W RMR kwestia ta zostanie wyjaśniona na samym początku gry za pomocą efektownego intra. Mało tego, wszystkie misje będą powiązane za sobą wątkiem fabularnym, co w mniemaniu autorów (i nie tylko) pozwoli na lepsze wczucie się w postać bohatera. Poziomów do przejścia ma być kilkanaście (około 16), doskonale zaprojektowanych i podzielonych na grupy klimatyczne. Na każdej planszy ma roić się od przeciwników, którzy mają wykorzystywać znakomity (napisany specjalnie dla tej gry) algorytm sztucznej inteligencji. Aby szanse były równe, gracz będzie mógł skorzystać z imponującego arsenału broni: granatów, min, karabinów maszynowych, działek laserowych i plazmowych.

RMR zapowiada się na wielki tytuł. Gdy producenci wypełnią swoje obietnice niewątpliwie zyska sobie takie miano.

WERTA BEST

Post by WERTA BEST »

One more preview of the game in Germany game magazine PC Games, 06-1998.

Text.
Rebel Moon Revolution
Dritter Teil der Saga im Januar 1999

Mit Rebel Moon Revolution arbeitet Fenris Wolf derzeit am dritten Teil ihrer Space Opera. Das Spiel basiert immer noch auf der Romanserie von Bruce Bethke, wird aber diesmal um ein paar strategische Elemente bereichert. Sie sind ein Mitglied einer Elite-Einheit und empfangen oder erteilen Befehle an Ihre Kollegen – dennoch soll aber weiterhin der Actionteil überwiegen, so daß sich Freunde gepflegter Ballerei schon auf das 1 Quartal 1999 freuen können: So lange soll die Entwicklung nämlich noch dauern.

[Image1]
Gespielt werden kann auch in einer Verfolgerperspektive.

[Image2]
Rebel Moon Revolution verfügt über eine interessante Farbgebung. Das Spiel steht aber noch am Anfang der Entwicklung.

I will be grateful for any preview of the game from USA game magazines. I’m still not find American previews for Rebel Moon Revolution.

gag2000

Post by gag2000 »

i cant see all of the images / videos in this thread, is it just me ? Someone have a backup of them ?

WERTA BEST

Post by WERTA BEST »

I have little fixed one old image from E3 1998 where Rebel Moon Revolution poster was shown. Now it looks better...

WERTA BEST

Post by WERTA BEST »

Happy Christmas for everybody!

In the demo files of Rebel Moon Revolution I had found one small screenshot.

It seems the small screenshot contains evidence of Voice Input tests in the October 1998. You can see it in the big zoom with good resampling algorithms. After I restored this image with little art variations using the graphics got from resurrected Rebel Moon Revolution.

WERTA BEST

Post by WERTA BEST »

Hello everybody! Let me show an unfinished tech demo from the “Rebel Moon Revolution” cancelled project. This is the latest known version of resource files when exe-file compilation was 12/29/1998. There are few demo levels with very weak simple gameplay. Some of training levels could support voice recognition commands, but that software is not working now under modern OS. You can fire, move, open doors, you can kill the enemy troops and your stance will change due impact damages - stay->kneel->prone. Also there are nothing any conditions for the level endings. It’s important to preserve this demo because it’s the last stage of the game project when it had been finally abandoned.
Link: https://archive.org/details/rebel-moon- ... -demo-1998

All videos from the RMRev tech demo 1998 you can see here:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... uFLWjXrsvG

The game engine (so called REV Engine v. 0.9) left from the “Rebel Moon Revolution” was used to release another game of “Fenris Wolf” team – ”The War in Heaven” in 1999 (then they changed their company title onto “Eternal Warrior”). All files from demo of “Rebel Moon Revolution” are fully compatible with ”The War in Heaven” program base. In 2021 we completed our long time work to resurrect new “Rebel Moon Revolution” using all files from the tech demo and the ”The War in Heaven” game engine.

All videos from the resurrected new-RMRev version (2014-2021) you can see here:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... UgMOzMK-gM

Dzver

Post by Dzver »

Ah, lol. Never heard of that game but i dont know why it reminds of Robot Alliance (Fishlabs). Which was pretty impressive mobile (j2me) game for its time.