Virtual PC on Windows 10

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
Dan43211

Virtual PC on Windows 10

Post by Dan43211 »

Do you remember that we discussed Virtual PC 2007 on Windows 8?

And I thought: what if I try to do the same on Windows 10? As you know, since Windows 8 Virtual PC is not supported. But the exit exists!

What I did:
1. Renamed setup.exe to any name
2. Installed VPC
3. Replaced Virtual PC.exe by updated file created by other user (with the watermark Modded by ProgWare to work in Windows 8)
4. Created VM
5. After starting, I got BSoD Driver IRQL not less or equal (vmm.sys)
6. Then I replaced vmm.sys in C:\Windows\System32\drivers
7. No result. I restarted again.

Any ideas?
No signature available.

Courage

Re: Virtual PC on Windows 10

Post by Courage »

It's apparently due to the 10.0 kernel jump, as it works fine on 9841-9879 but not on 9888 or later.

johnleakedfan

Post by johnleakedfan »

Since you probably cant get it to work in windows 10, just got to use others like VMWare, probably nothing else much you can do

thevistas2004

Post by thevistas2004 »

you can turn off compatibility thingy to make it work

viper
Donator

Post by viper »

Or you could try Hyper-V, if you have a SLAT enabled CPU.
Not sure if it works yet in W10 though, it does fine in W8.1 x64 (for me) though.

curti21

Post by curti21 »

Hyper-V is pretty bad for general virtualization, no 2D/3D acceleration, etc. It's meant for servers and it shows.

Your best bet is to use VMware or VirtualBox. VPC 2007 isn't that good anyways for operating systems newer than Windows 2000.

RuMoR0922
Donator

Post by RuMoR0922 »

If you want the VPC experience, you need to use VMware Workstation or Player. I'd recommend Hyper-V if you were using enterprise-grade stuff and don't need hardware acceleration or sounds since Hyper-V just creates an RDP window for you to use; while VMware creates an actual environment for you to interact w/ the VM, much like VPC.

johnleakedfan

Post by johnleakedfan »

curti21 wrote:Hyper-V is pretty bad for general virtualization, no 2D/3D acceleration, etc. It's meant for servers and it shows.

Your best bet is to use VMware or VirtualBox. VPC 2007 isn't that good anyways for operating systems newer than Windows 2000.
VMWare to me is better to use than VBox
Offtopic Comment
Windows XP and Server 2003 (Including Betas) runs good in VirtualPC (In my experience)

rechly121

Post by rechly121 »

why an organization would choose to host their website or application on a VPS?
Rechly Parker
IT Analyst

TomKTW

Post by TomKTW »

Just a personal note: Windows 9x/DOS VM works best only on Virtual PC 2007 for me due to better networking, sharing, sound and graphics (in some ways) support. VMware doesn't give identical sound output like VPC does and it seems to fail to run some software which runs just fine on VPC (and vice versa). I need both, VMware and VPC.

No one tried to tweak it for Windows 10 as far as it looks.

MSUser2013
Donator

Post by MSUser2013 »

TomKTW wrote:Just a personal note: Windows 9x/DOS VM works best only on Virtual PC 2007 for me due to better networking, sharing, sound and graphics (in some ways) support. VMware doesn't give identical sound output like VPC does and it seems to fail to run some software which runs just fine on VPC (and vice versa). I need both, VMware and VPC.

So I guess the only best alternative for virtualizing old OSes (Windows 3.x and 9x) on Windows 10 would be PCem or PCem-X, I've sort of used it, And it can emulate hardware similar to what VPC emulates, The only issue is it currently doesn't support CD Images so you have to either use physical discs (assuming your PC has a DVD drive) or use a disc mounting tool like Daemon Tools, Never tested it on Windows 10 though.

MrFreeman

Post by MrFreeman »

MSUser2013 wrote:
TomKTW wrote:Just a personal note: Windows 9x/DOS VM works best only on Virtual PC 2007 for me due to better networking, sharing, sound and graphics (in some ways) support. VMware doesn't give identical sound output like VPC does and it seems to fail to run some software which runs just fine on VPC (and vice versa). I need both, VMware and VPC.

So I guess the only best alternative for virtualizing old OSes (Windows 3.x and 9x) on Windows 10 would be PCem or PCem-X, I've sort of used it, And it can emulate hardware similar to what VPC emulates, The only issue is it currently doesn't support CD Images so you have to either use physical discs (assuming your PC has a DVD drive) or use a disc mounting tool like Daemon Tools, Never tested it on Windows 10 though.

You could always use MESS.
Half-Life is a pretty good game.

nabazare

Post by nabazare »

To properly use Virtual PC, it is necessary to switch back to Windows 7

x010
Staff

Post by x010 »

nabazare wrote:To properly use Virtual PC, it is necessary to switch back to Windows 7
You're right , but the issue is that most of us are going to upgrade to Windows 10 when it comes.

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

Or just use something else or get an older computer running 7 or older and VPC.
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

LudaWeb01

Post by LudaWeb01 »

Hi.
But, When I Look Compatibility Center, Virtual PC is "Compatible, Not action requiured" (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows ... al+Preview).
It marks also for Windows 8/8.1 :OD
LudaWeb01

Windows95

Post by Windows95 »

Method of installing vpc2007 is only applicable to 32 bit PC, 64 bit installation will be a blue screen
Baidu Post Bar ljlwin8

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

LudaWeb01 wrote:Hi.
But, When I Look Compatibility Center, Virtual PC is "Compatible, Not action requiured" (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows ... al+Preview).
It marks also for Windows 8/8.1 :OD
It's outdated/inaccurate information that should be ignored for the most part. It's been proven VPC2007 breaks on most Windows 10 builds, and requires some modifications to work on 8.1. Works fine on 7 and earlier, though you may get a compatibility warning that can be bypassed with ease. VPC2004 will only work on 32-bit editions as there is no 64-bit-compatible release of VPC2004.
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

johnye_pt

Post by johnye_pt »

I also used Virtual PC 2007 SP1 with Windows 7 and 8.1.

VMM.SYS from Virtual PC 2007 SP1 x64 is v1.1.654.0.
VMM.SYS from Windows Phone SDK 7.1.1 v1.1.663.0 (includes x86 and x64 versions). With this version and Windows 10, I get a BSOD with a "clock watchdog timeout" error.

Is there any newer version of this file that we can try out? I also use VPC2007SP1 on a daily basis and it's really a bummer that it no longer works with Windows 10 :(

It seems there is also a Windows Phone SDK 8.0 and possibly a Windows Phone SDK 8.1 included with Visual Studio Express 2013 for Windows with Update 2 or later. I don't have those so I don't know if they have newer VMM.SYS that might work with Windows 10. Can anyone check please?
I used to be schizophrenic, but now we're cured.

Goldfish64
Donator

Post by Goldfish64 »

johnye_pt wrote:It seems there is also a Windows Phone SDK 8.0 and possibly a Windows Phone SDK 8.1 included with Visual Studio Express 2013 for Windows with Update 2 or later. I don't have those so I don't know if they have newer VMM.SYS that might work with Windows 10. Can anyone check please?
I'm in the process of re-installing the Windows Phone SDKs and so far I have installed the SDK 8.0 which has a VMM.sys version of 1.1.630.0. The SDK for 10 and 8.1 have also been installed. The 8.1 or later only uses Hyper-V and wouldn't contain the file. WP 8.0 SDK uses it for the Windows Phone 7 emulator.

This is also causing some issues for me as well. Once during the SDK 8.0 setup, the system rebooted without warning, and during the 7.8 update install, it rebooted, and then rebooted again when setup restarted. Looking in the event logs seem to point to a watchdog timeout. It could be a conflict with Hyper-V as it is currently enabled.

EDIT: I tried to launch the WP 7 emulator and the computer rebooted without a BSOD. Guess I'm also looking for a new VMM.sys that works with Windows 10.
Goldfish64

johnye_pt

Post by johnye_pt »

OK, managed to make it work on a EeePC 1005HA (Atom N270, 2gb, SSD 250gb) running Windows 10 Home x86 with only the VMM.SYS swap and executable name change. It still doesn't work on my Compaq 6820s (C2D T8300, 4gb, SSD 120gb + HDD 1TB) running Windows 10 Pro x64. Tried setting affinity of VirtualPC.exe on Task Manager to CPU 0 or CPU 1 (read somewhere that that could be it), 1st one rebooted instantly upon starting a virtual machine, 2nd went BSOD with the clock watchdog timeout error. I disabled controller signature to install VGA drivers, but that sure isn't the problem.

My laptop has now officially BSODed more times in 2 days with Windows 10 (because of VPC trial and error) than with Windows 7 and 8.1 combined :mrgreen:

johnye_pt

Post by johnye_pt »

Has anyone tried anything in the last days?

For now it only worked on my EeePC running Windows 10 Home x86 (not x64 capable), no luck on my Compaq running Windows 10 Pro x64. I stopped trying because I didn't want to risk damaging Windows 10 on my working computer with another BSOD.

Whenever I get my hands on another laptop with a x64 capable CPU I'll try installing Windows 10 x86 to see if VPC2007 works: if it does it's a x86/x64 problem, if it crashes it's a CPU problem.

Lukas Marsik

Post by Lukas Marsik »

It only works on x86 Win10, regardless of your CPU's capabilities