Microsoft C 5.1 Optimizing Compiler

Discuss any beta and abandonware applications.
Arie

Microsoft C 5.1 Optimizing Compiler

Post by Arie »

I added this to my collection yesterday and I made some quick photos to share with everyone.

First book, from left to right.

In the back of the book is an envelop with an attached license agreement.

Inside the envelop are seven 5,25" diskettes, still looking like new.

First few diskettes.

A close-up of the labels.

Some more diskettes.

Close-up of the labels.

Last few diskettes of the first book.

A close-up of the labels again.

On to the second book of the three books.

In the back of the book is again an envelop with an attached license agreement. Inside are another seven 5,25" diskettes, again looking like new.

The first few diskettes.

A close-up of the labels.

More diskettes.

Again a close-up of the labels.

The last diskettes of the second book.

Close-up of the labels.

The third book, the one on the right, does not have an envelop in the back with diskettes. I do not believe that there ever was an envelop in this book either. I got these books from a client, where I got many of my items from, and I believe that this set is complete.

Hope you enjoy the photos.
Not trying to pretend the enemy that I am

Terra854

Re: Microsoft C 5.1 Optimizing Compiler

Post by Terra854 »

Hmm... looks interesting.

You might want to upload these floppy images to the FTP. I would like to have a look at it.

Arie

Post by Arie »

I would if I would have a 5,25" disk drive/KryoFlux Board ;)

Darkstar
Donator

Post by Darkstar »

oooh this looks definitely exciting!

I guess there are some ppl in the Netherlands who have a KryoFlux and who would gladly dump the disks for you and send them back afterwards. If you're fine with temporarily parting with them, that is.

You could also send them to me for dumping, but I guess it would be easier and cheaper to find someone in .nl
I upload stuff to archive.org from time to time. See here for everything that doesn't fit BA

SoftPCMuseum

Post by SoftPCMuseum »

Arie wrote:I would if I would have a 5,25" disk drive/KryoFlux Board ;)
Do you have a machine with a 5.25 inch drive (1.2 MB)? If so, then ImageDisk will work on any machine running Microsoft MS-DOS and will also run on Microsoft Windows 95 or Microsoft Windows 98 in MS-DOS Mode.

Note that if you also want to provide .IMG or .IMA disk images, you may be able to install a copy of Windows in an emulator that supports the .IMD disk format (PCem does if I remember correctly; still have to look back to be sure), and mount the .IMD disk images from there, then install WinImage within the emulator itself and perform a RAW dump of each disk, which would effectively convert each .IMD disk image to the IMG format (.IMG/.IMA).

NOTE: If and when using ImageDisk, always make sure that you perform a full analysis for each disk, and that you save two copies each for each disk, one without any bad sectors found and one with all of the bad sectors saved, so that in each case, as much data as possible is saved. A full analysis would likely yield more results when searching for data, and likewise, saving all of the bad sectors will preserve even more data.

Also, keeping two copies for each disk, one which keeps the bad sectors (which would preserve the most data, obviously), and one which has all of the bad sectors skipped, could also be very useful if, for example, you wanted to determine which areas of each disk were stored in bad sectors as opposed to which data happened to be stored in good sectors, for potential recovery purposes.
Darkstar wrote:oooh this looks definitely exciting!

I guess there are some ppl in the Netherlands who have a KryoFlux and who would gladly dump the disks for you and send them back afterwards. If you're fine with temporarily parting with them, that is.

You could also send them to me for dumping, but I guess it would be easier and cheaper to find someone in .nl
As I already explained to the user above, ImageDisk would still work on machines with 5.25 inch disk drives for cases where the user doesn't have access to a KryoFlux unit, though I agree that the KryoFlux is the best format for high-quality preservation for several reasons (saving the magnetic stream of each disk and so on...).
Latest release of Virtual Computer emulator available here:
https://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewt ... 72&t=39197

Arie

Post by Arie »

Darkstar wrote:I guess there are some ppl in the Netherlands who have a KryoFlux and who would gladly dump the disks for you and send them back afterwards. If you're fine with temporarily parting with them, that is.
There does not seem to be anyone from The Netherlands on this forum who can help me out unfortunately.

Darkstar wrote:You could also send them to me for dumping, but I guess it would be easier and cheaper to find someone in .nl
Thank you for your offer. I have had the same offer from mrpijey and someone else on this forum already too. Nice to see so many people that would like to help. I feel somewhat uncomfortable though with sending my 5,25" diskettes to someone who I do not know. Maybe in the future. For now I still have plenty of 3,5" diskettes to image, scan and upload.

SoftPCMuseum wrote:
Arie wrote:I would if I would have a 5,25" disk drive/KryoFlux Board ;)
Do you have a machine with a 5.25 inch drive (1.2 MB)?
Like I wrote, I do not have a 5,25" disk drive and neither do I have a KyroFlux Board unfortunately.