[Release] Unreal Engine source-code (1996/1997)

Discuss any beta and abandonware games.
hogsy

[Release] Unreal Engine source-code (1996/1997)

Post by hogsy »

This has been on my site for a while but I don't think anyone was really aware of that, so yeah... Here it is!

Download (1996)
Download (1997)
Last edited by hogsy on Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Administrator @ TalonBrave.info; The Dedicated Video-Games Archive
Developer @ OldTimes Software

LEOTCK
Permanently Banned

Re: [Release] Unreal Engine source-code (1996/1997)

Post by LEOTCK »

I can't check the contents now so i am assuming, but full means including the meshes/graphics?
If so the 96 stuff came from earlier test version, the models and graphics that were separate came from a different and earlier version than the compiled one, the sources for 0.83/4 would have had additional unused models but we never recovered/saw those, such as the original impaler which was different weapon.
The 0.864v stuff sources were the only complete ones in that regard, as it was the only version the emissary team had complete with the source and models and graphics standalone.
Just making clear any confusion that might pop up over this. Hope that's fine.
my main project, pls read latest news

https://www.moddb.com/mods/unreal-psx-r ... e-of-jrath

hogsy

Post by hogsy »

Both of these purposefully contain the source-code only, and full meaning the full source-code package. I'll look for the content you mentioned and put another package together :)

LEOTCK
Permanently Banned

Post by LEOTCK »

Ah, well in that case there were more source codes, though most of the installers/archives are passworded. Because the password was figured out I am just going to say it to public rather than being shared among few people. It is m925ab74 and right now I couldn't care if someone doesn't like it to be revealed. Rumor is that it's a source password for all early unreal engine sources.

dezodor

Post by dezodor »

nice! would be cool to see those passworded files too. i wouldnt do much with the sources, but i collect everything unreal related. who knows maybe one day someone will ask for it and i can help :)
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Lost Alpha

LEOTCK
Permanently Banned

Post by LEOTCK »

As far as I know the original passworded archives are in the unreal misc stuff that delacroix packed a while ago and released at certain place. The password goes to these, if he didn't leave them out. I cannot however link to the original upload place because it doesn't belong to me, among other reasons. I don't have capicities to upload large stuff now or even view files or do the usual stuff, so I am glad that people who have/had acess to the whole stuff are uploading it now like hogsy. I never really cared for the source codes and initially stayed away from it despite receiving back in 2011 source codes to unreal 200, ut 400, ut2003 initial version(never actually fully downloaded and checked that, same with the ut2004 initial sources, they were too big anyway) and ut2004. That is however a completely different story and it's not under the same cathegory like sources to beta/alpha versions of Unreal. And plus that I was not meant to receive the retail games sources and never actually asked or wanted it tho
ugh it did contain some interesting stuff like the finished old hud graphics etc. And the later recovered alliance stuff had the early botpack with its 220 source with new weapons just being translocator, chainsaw, impact hammer, redeemer and the double automag, recycled by the same author from a downloadable mod for 200 but ported to 220 as part of what was ut back then.
But as far my opinion goes, the old games sources should have been released officially way before(mind you, for the patches, smirftsch of oldunreal has the sources of the later unreal and ut patches, whether he will someday release them with epic consent is a question but I don't see why not especially given that most people saw many unreal engine leaks and that the ue4 source is so avaiable now to buy for ordinary people). I personally after all that don't see any harm in sharing the leaked source codes at least.

dezodor

Post by dezodor »

ah that misc stuff? That does not have passworded files, I guess he uploaded them unpacked. :)
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Lost Alpha

vibgyorc6

Post by vibgyorc6 »

LEOTCK wrote:But as far my opinion goes, the old games sources should have been released officially way before(mind you, for the patches, smirftsch of oldunreal has the sources of the later unreal and ut patches, whether he will someday release them with epic consent is a question but I don't see why not especially given that most people saw many unreal engine leaks and that the ue4 source is so avaiable now to buy for ordinary people). I personally after all that don't see any harm in sharing the leaked source codes at least.
Tim Sweeney has said somewhere on the UE4 forums that Epic will open source UE1 sometime soon, but no plans have been made yet. As for the others however, there's too much third-party code and proprietary dependencies that it would be impossible to open source them, sadly. But yeah, I do agree with you that it's pointless to keep the sources of the past engines closed, but what can you do? :/

MikeGao
Donator

Post by MikeGao »

Thanks! mate. That really works.
Right now I am working on Unreal Engine4 so there's less time to get the old version compiled.
Anyway. Thanks.

LEOTCK
Permanently Banned

Post by LEOTCK »

dezodor wrote:ah that misc stuff? That does not have passworded files, I guess he uploaded them unpacked. :)
Not sure if it's called misc, i just looked at the site its featured in and its listed at "Unreal - pre release material". Not sure about the contents, but i remeber he put there the original installers but i guess the source doesnt need passwords anymore unlike the original material(aside the extracted source that was there too).

Btw MikeGao this is a source of a pre release Unreal. October 96 and may 97ish. The full/final game was released may 1998. Quite a lot has changed but should be interesting to see/compile anyway.
But as it was said it would be cool if the final unreal source code was just released officially.

WackoReese

Post by WackoReese »

Are the files removed/dead? I've been given a 404 on both links.

hogsy

Post by hogsy »

Sorry about that, links are now fixed.

Asayu

Post by Asayu »

Does it compile ?, The source code say that it has been compiled (or designed to) under Visual c++ 4 but the projects files are Visual c++ 6 ones. I try to compile them with Visual c++ 6 but after warnings and asm errors I finally get a syntax error on the render project with prevent unreal from compiling entierly.. Do you have any ideas that can help me to compile it ?

damaged

Post by damaged »

Asayu wrote:Does it compile ?, The source code say that it has been compiled (or designed to) under Visual c++ 4 but the projects files are Visual c++ 6 ones. I try to compile them with Visual c++ 6 but after warnings and asm errors I finally get a syntax error on the render project with prevent unreal from compiling entierly.. Do you have any ideas that can help me to compile it ?
Your reply wasn't really specific in regards to build revision or errors experienced. The project files contain a rule that specifies .asm files are to be assembled (compiled) using MASM. You only need the ml.exe file which actually comes with the engine source. You can either add it to the 'PATH' environment variable of Windows, or you can copy it to the binary executable directory of Visual C++. Tim's work notes basically specify that Visual C++ 4.1 or 4.2 are to be used. I think I only built revision 0.82 and I was able to successfully compile it.

It's best (IMHO), to establish a virtual machine installed of Windows 95 or Windows 98 and install Visual C++. This way, you're dealing with known issues, rather than new and unidentified issues associated with using Visual Studio 6 or a newer revision of MASM.