Armalion

Discuss any beta and abandonware games.
Thraxeman

Armalion

Post by Thraxeman »

Hi guys, today i want to show you all the information i have found about an unreleased pc game called "Armalion".

Armalion was an RPG game developed by Ikarion software, the setting was to be a module of the world of The Dark Eye (Das Schwarze Auge), a german tabletop game. The game was supposed to be the sequel of the "Realms of Arkania" series. Unfortunately the company went bankrupt and the game was never released; although all the work that was done was bought by a comany named "Ascaron". This company used the stuff created by Ikarion to create a different game named Sacred. So Armalion died and later resurrected as Sacred but with different characters and game mechanics.

Here's the Trailer
[youtube2]http://youtu.be/5AIz9XTy7FI[/youtube2]

A little gameplay video
[youtube2]http://youtu.be/T5ZrqObd2dM[/youtube2]

The page created by Spellcraft Studio who created the models, animations and designs
http://www.spellcraft.de/html/e_main_games_armalion.htm

Using the Wayback Machine is possible to see the old site with a lot of additional information and other interesting stuff
https://web.archive.org/web/20020806072 ... malion.de/

The story, from Spellcraft website:

"Since the death of the powerful wizard Borbarad, the East of Aventuria is in a state of turmoil. While the small rebel armies and irregular troops loyal to the emperor try to break the iron grip of the cruel Heptarchs over the Dark Lands, Aventuria is threatened by an even bigger menace growing in obscurity that may soon shake the whole world in its foundation.

Helped by human traitors some demons attempt to create a permanent gateway between the sphere of demons and the sphere of men. Only one hero stands between the world and the hell spawns ready to invade Aventuria."

According to the faq on the site there wew 12 playable characters:

"1. How many characters will there be in Armalion?

There will be 12 different ones at your choice, subdivided into six character-classes and the two sexes. Each of these characters has different attributes, skills and abilities, depending on his or her sex, race and character class. The character classes available are: elf, mage, witch, amazon, priest of Phex, priest of Boron."

An image showing the characters:

Soon i will add other information. :)

MrFlibble

Re: Armalion

Post by MrFlibble »

Nice findings! I have read about the game some time ago in this article about the TDA franchise.

Thraxeman

Post by Thraxeman »

MrFlibble wrote:Nice findings! I have read about the game some time ago in this article about the TDA franchise.
I saw that article too :) i discovered Armalion while i was searching for some infas about weapons and quests of Sacred.

Here's the supposed map of the game (i don't know if it is the complete map):

The box cover images i found on a polish site (i don't know if it is real)
http://www.sacred.pl/index.php?mod=hist ... t=armalion

Many screenshots can be found here:
http://www.sacredwiki.it/wiki/Sacred:Armalion

And the menu of the game (from SacredWiki.it):

I don't understand german; if someone can post the translation of the menu i would appreciate it :D

Hallfiry
Donator

Post by Hallfiry »

Thraxeman wrote:I don't understand german; if someone can post the translation of the menu i would appreciate it :D
Neue Kampagne -> New Campaign
Szenario spielen -> Play Scenario
Mehrspieler Modus -> Multiplayer Mode
Spielstand Laden -> Load Save Game
Optionen -> Options
Heldenerschaffung -> Hero Creation
Spiel beenden -> Quit Game

dezodor

Post by dezodor »

It was posted on the pcgames.de website that they would later release the 500mb betademo or even the source code, but it never happened. (http://www.pcgames.de/Armalion-PC-16353 ... ben-30391/)

I also found an other site which had talk about it:
http://www.orkenspalter.de/index.php/Th ... lion-Demo/
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Lost Alpha

Thraxeman

Post by Thraxeman »

dezodor wrote:It was posted on the pcgames.de website that they would later release the 500mb betademo or even the source code, but it never happened. (http://www.pcgames.de/Armalion-PC-16353 ... ben-30391/)

I also found an other site which had talk about it:
http://www.orkenspalter.de/index.php/Th ... lion-Demo/
I remember that article on pcgames about the the demo; unfortunately we will never see it :(

Anyway i have uploaded all the images i have found on the net during those years (some could be duplicates):
https://mega.co.nz/#!D1YD2JRI!eQU_glW-A ... lnbXj95DVs

Here's the complete FAQ from the old armalion.de website, obtained with the wayback machine:

General information:

Armalion is a fantasy RPG with a new twist. With a clear focus on entertainment value instead of character stats the game mixes the best of role-playing experience with strategy and action gameplay. In-depth charater creation shows the attention to detail, while an easy-to-use interface takes all the pain of boring stats away. The real-time mode of the game can be interrupted at any time. During the game the player will even command small warbands of up to 40 warriors to fight for his goals.

- Choose between 12 playable main characters with different skills
- Highly addictive plot with lots of varying quests
- Opulent and most detailed landscapes
- Full 3-D characters with amazing animations
- Co-operative multiplayer mode (LAN/WAN)
- Low entry level due to elegant interface,
no typing or memory skills required
- Dynamic plot depending on the character-class chosen
- Continuous gaming world without cuts or limitations,
no waiting for loading
- Special skirmish mode for melees between up to 40 characters

Technical details:

System requirements:

Minimal requirements (Win98):

300 Mhz CPU
64 Mb RAM
16Mb graphic adapter

Recommend:

600 Mhz CPU
128Mb RAM ( Win 98 )
256 Mb RAM ( Win 2000)
32 Mb graphic adapter

1. How many characters will there be in Armalion?

There will be 12 different ones at your choice, subdivided into six character-classes and the two sexes. Each of these characters has different attributes, skills and abilities, depending on his or her sex, race and character class. The character classes available are: elf, mage, witch, amazon, priest of Phex, priest of Boron.

2. What sorts of abilities will there be?

There will be 12 basic abilities (climbing, horse riding, jumping, sneeking etc.) and all weapon skills. These will be developed differently corresponding to character class and attributes.

3. Will there be any connections between the first three parts of the Northland-Trilogy and Armalion?

Absolutely NOT. Armalion is an entirely independent program with totally different priorities and different techniques.

4. How many characters will I be able to create at the beginning?

Just one! And plot of the game will be determined the character you choose.

5. How many characters can I play at the same time?

Also just one. If NPCs join your party during a quest, they can be easily managed by a simple and compact "Party Menu". When the quest is completed successfully (defend a village, protect a bridge), the NPCs vanish back into a pool.

6. How do I get quests?

By entering certain areas, by meeting NPCs, by events and other things.

7. Why and when do RTS battles occur?

Within quests you may be asked to fight smaller battles, like defending a bridge or protecting a village, raiding a supply train ... The frequency of these battles depends on the choice of character and on chance.

8. By means of which strategies can I solve the game (fighting, magic, conversation, thievery)?

There is always a multitude of possibilities, like the ones mentioned above. But beside this, the way to success depends on the choice of the main character.

9. How do spells, miracles of the priests, sneaking and stealing work?

Before undertaking an action, the corresponding button on the display is to be pressed. Than the action takes place. There are other abilities, like for example: climbing or horse riding, which are executed with the mouse cursor.

10. Is it possible to deactivate the strategy part to get a pure RPG?

No, for Armalion is - do to the license - a strategy game. But it will be easily accessible also for players not apt with strategy.

11. In how far deals Armalion with the Borbarad campaign?

The story of Armalion uses the Borbarad campaign as Background and basis. Because it is set in the Dark Lands, effects of this campaign are always present, but the actual plot is mainly independent.

12. How intelligent are the enemies going to be?

They will react differently from case to case. They are not going to do the same thing twice and are going to react fitly to the situation.

13. Will there be events in which the character is involved?

Yes, this will happen. It is possible that the player is attacked, or comes to late to save a village, or that he is imprisoned without guilt etc.

14. And what about the multi-player mode?

Up to three players can play a campaign simultaneously. There is principally no difference to the single-player game. The plot as well as the sub-plots and sub-quests will be proceeding in the same way. The first player who starts the quest transfers it to all other participating players. The number and strength of the enemies grows according to the number of players, so that a balanced game is ensured. When starting the game, the sub-quests that are available for the character-classes will be activated.
The course of the sub-plot will depend on the decision of the host and the story develops according to it. The conversations during the game can be made independently by each player. This means, there is no interruption in the game for player B or C, when player A is involved in a dialogue.
When additional troops are needed to solve tasks, each player gets a limited amount of gold, so that the recruiting does not get out of control and the game does not become too unbalanced. The recruited troops can be commanded only be the particular player.
If one of the main characters dies during a mission, the player maintains the control over the troops until the mission is over. He gets his character back by respawning at a suitable location. Because of his death, he gets only a smaller amount of experience points for this mission. If all characters in the game die, the campaign is over.
If one dies during a crucial mission, the same will happen like in a single-player game. The failure of a mission pertaining to the sub-plot a or single mission will not lead to an end of the game, as long as not all characters die.
The participating players can move independently within the game world. Communication is possible over the chat-mode. The course of the campaign is exactly the same as in the single-player game, whereas the final battle will be created specially for the multi-player game. After finishing a campaign, there is the possibility to play the campaign over again with characters with higher levels. The level and number of the enemies will then result from the level of the main character or characters. Since a campaign will take to long to be played at a time, a "save game" function is implemented. Every player in the game can save the game. Not the combination of the party, but the actual quests and the momentary status of the game world will be saved. This means that completed missions will be "blank" a certain points, so that they will not have to be solved again. The status of a loaded game depends on the host. He can decide which quests are activated at the moment and in which condition the game world will be in.

15. What will the combat-system look like?

The battles will take place in real-time, with attack and parade. To integrate a tactical element, the game can be frozen at any time and appropriate actions can be initiated which will be executed afterwards. One example: If you take too many hits, you can retreat from the battle. Or you can concentrate on another, more powerful enemy. Or the weapons need to be changed etc.

16. Why are there not more character-classes available?

We have chosen those that can be used most effectively in the environment of the Dark Lands (just like in the board game "Armalion"). A "joker" would not want to participate in an Armalion battle, and a Thorwal-Viking is hardly to be found that far away from the sea. Arguments like these can be extended to the other character-classes that cannot be found in Armalion. The characters are 3D images drawn with many details and animated neatly. But there will be a much larger choice of enemies and monsters instead.

Hallfiry
Donator

Post by Hallfiry »

Hey, remember my NameRipper? Totally works on Sacred and especially its pak files and the pdb file that comes with the earliest demo. Stuff like this pops up there (some representative lines I picked from the thousands that there are):

Code: Select all

C:\Backup Festpatten\Ikarion\Daten von Ikarion\PAK\DELV_SPECIAL_HHIT_STAB.max
C:\DirkWork\Working\Ringe\Ring_breit_stein_128x128.tga
C:\3dsmax5\scenes\upgrade\welf1.bmp
C:\Armalion\SC_ARMALION\MAPS\TGA\skeleton_warrior.tga
C:\DirkWork\Working\UpDownload\Armor\ruestungen\Warrior\warrior_metal_01.tga
C:\DirkWork\Working\Work_02_07\Animations\Gaulker\Ready\Bell.max
C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Cosmin\Eigene Dateien\Workshop\Seraphim\Armor\Maps\sera_back_02.tga
C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Cosmin\Eigene Dateien\Workshop\Seraphim\Armor\Maps\serahelmet02.tga
C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Lex Luthor\Desktop\Armor\NewArmor\Shoulder\Shoulder_leather.tga
C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Lex Luthor\Desktop\Charackters\VLady rework\New_Animations\VLady_Day_New2.max
C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Lex Luthor\Desktop\Horse\Horse\horse_new2.max
C:\Eigene Dateien\Graphics\StudioII\3D\arrow_blade.max
C:\Eigene Dateien\Graphics\StudioII\3D\arrow_blade.tga
C:\FrankWork\Strauch.max
C:\FrankWork\Strauch.tga
C:\Games\Weapons_Bak\execaxe.MAX
C:\Games\Weapons_Bak\Execaxe.tga
C:\gold.jpg
C:\LIBRARY\Sacred\door_flat5a.bmp
C:\LIBRARY\Sacred\door_flat7a.bmp
C:\Pics\new3\Gitter01.tga
C:\Pics\new\blacksmith.max
C:\Sacred\ralph_artwork\3d\door_hof4b.bmp
C:\Sacred\ralph_artwork\3d\door_jail5.bmp
C:\studio2\Input\Darkelve\elve_magician_arms.bmp
C:\studio2\Input\Darkelve\elve_magician_body.bmp
C:\Temp\questitems\01_GOLDBLUETENBUSCH\leafgreen2.tga
C:\Temp\questitems\02_DEMODREYHEMD\demodreyshirt_001.tga
C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\Bearbeitete Animationen Maxfiles Dunkelelf\DELV_ATTACK_2H_C.max
C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\Bearbeitete Animationen Maxfiles Dunkelelf\DELV_ATTACK_2WAFFEN_A.max
C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\upload\DELV_SPECIAL_HHIT_2WAFFEN.max
C:\WINNT\Profiles\DirkS\Desktop\amulet\Amulett_brosche_128x128.tga
C:\WINNT\Profiles\DirkS\Desktop\amulet\Amulett_Brosche_Edelsteine_128x128.tga
D:\Bloodfire\Barbarian\Animation\Barbarian_attack_2HSword.MAX
D:\Bloodfire\Barbarian\Animation\Barbarian_attack_2HSword_alt_exp.MAX
D:\Effects\skull.MAX
D:\Effects\skull.tga
D:\FrankWork\3D\elve_sorceress\max\elve_sorveress_helmet_leather.tga
D:\FrankWork\3D\elve_sorceress\max\elve_sorveress_helmet_metal.tga
D:\Image Works\Studio_2\UpDownload\Armor\ruestungen\Amazone\amaz_helmet_leather_01.tga
D:\Image Works\Studio_2\UpDownload\Armor\ruestungen\Amazone\amazone_helmet_metal.tga
D:\New_Sacred\Gladiator\Temporary_Gladiator_Mapping\gladiator_arms.tga
D:\New_Sacred\Gladiator\Temporary_Gladiator_Mapping\Gladiator_belt_skirt.tga
D:\Projects\Studio2\LORD\charaktere\Horse\final\horse_Grasen02.max
D:\Projects\Studio2\LORD\charaktere\Horse\final\horse_Scharren02.max
D:\Projects\Studio2\LORD\Items\Sonnenbrille\final\Sonnenbrille_Waldelfe_128x128.tga
D:\Projects\Studio2\LORD\Items\Vorlagen\vamp_weapons\morgenstern_001.tga
D:\SACRED\Checkerboard_256.bmp
D:\SACRED\Heroes\Gladiator\Finished\Gladiator_AxeDoubleHit.max
D:\SACRED\Heroes\Gladiator\Finished\Gladiator_barehand_attack.max
D:\SACRED\Weapons\dagger.bmp
D:\SACRED\Weapons\staff_fight.bmp
D:\SACRED\Wizard\wizard_magicwand.bmp
D:\SC_Armalion\animals\meshes\sheep_04a_CS3.11_mx4.max
D:\SC_Armalion\cow_idle_cs3_03d_mx4.max
D:\SC_Armalion\cow_walk_cs3_02b_mx4.max
D:\SC_Armalion\monsters\animations\skel_warrior_idle_03_rot_01.max
D:\todo\Questgegenstaende\03_Haarlocke\Texture\haarlockenewschwarz_002.tga
D:\Work2\Charackters\VLady rework\New_Animations\VLady_Day_New3.max
D:\Work2\Charackters\VLady rework\vlady_d_arms.tga
D:\Work2\Stuff\weapons\mesh\zweililien.bmp
D:\Work2\Stuff\weapons\mesh\zweililien.max
D:\Work\Animals\Horse\New Bridles\Bridle_Metal_01\horse_bridle_metal.tga
D:\Work\Animals\Horse\New Bridles\horse_zaum_metal.max
D:\Work\Charackters\Elve\elve.max
D:\Work\Charackters\Mage rework\magician_arms.tga
D:\Work\Charackters\Mage rework\magician_body.tga
D:\Work\Charackters\Mage rework\magician_boots.tga
D:\Work\Stuff\Potions\potion_large Kopie.tga
D:\Work\Stuff\Potions\potion_large.max
D:\Work\Stuff\weapons\mesh\Wurfmesser.TGA
E:\3dsmax4\Scenes\Armalion\Objects\Scroll.tga
E:\3dsmax4\Scenes\Armalion\Objects\Scroll2.max
E:\ARMALION\lowpoly\npc\farmer_mal\maxfiles\farmer_06.max
E:\Armalion\Maps\farmer_female.bmp
E:\Armalion\New_Models\warrior_armour_lharnisch.max
E:\Armalion\New_Models\warrior_armour_tuch.max
E:\Armalion\ToBeRotated\Animals\bear_a_unarmed_01c_mx4_rot.max
E:\Armalion\ToBeRotated\Animals\bear_d_unarmed_01d_rot.max
E:\Armalion\ToBeRotated\Animals\bear_dying_01c_rot.max
E:\Armalion_work\cd\animals\animations\bat_a_unarmed_01d.max
E:\Armalion_work\cd\animals\animations\bat_d_unarmed_01d.max
E:\backupDirk\Goblin\Animationen\GBWR_ATTACK_BOGEN_A.max
E:\Bloodfire\Weapons\Maps\Execaxe.tga
E:\DirkWork\S_Door.max
E:\DirkWork\S_Door.tga
E:\Export\axe_barb.tga
E:\FrankWork\3D\MagicShield.tga
E:\FrankWork\3D\MagicShield2.tga
E:\FrankWork\3D\MagicShield2_new.max
E:\FrankWork\3D\MagicShield_new.max
E:\Gamebox\b_ouvert.tga
E:\Gamebox\b_racer.tga
E:\Gamebox\c_disaster.tga
E:\idle\ELFF_IDLE_1H.max
E:\intulo animationen\gigant_spider_attack.max
E:\intulo animationen\gigant_spider_dying.max
E:\intulo animationen\gigant_spider_hit.max
E:\Pics\new\lever_base_1.tga
E:\Pics\new\SACREDSymbol01_01.max
E:\SACRED\Effects\big_gibs.tga
E:\SACRED\Effects\Gibs.max
E:\SACRED\Wizard\wizard_spellcast.max
E:\SACRED\Wizard\wizard_walk.max
E:\Temp\Intulo10\Totem_Adlerfeder.max
E:\Temp\Intulo10\Totem_AdlerFeder_128x256.tga
E:\Temp\Intulo7\Magierstab_shamane_64x256.tga
E:\Temp\Windstrauch\windstrauch.max
E:\Zwischenablage\Animation_Attack\ORCW_attack_armbrust_A.max
E:\Zwischenablage\Animation_Attack\ORCW_attack_bogen_A.max
F:\Sacred\SacredData\Models\weapons\mesh\Kusliker.tga
F:\User\Frank\3DWork\arrow_test.max
G:\Sacred_Heros\Sac_Map\Gadiator_armband.tga
G:\SacredData\Models\Doors\mesh\Door_Gate01.max
G:\SacredData\Models\npc\DarkElve\max\DarkElve_mit_Physik.max
G:\SacredData\Models\weapons\mesh\Handaxe.max
G:\SacredData\Models\weapons\mesh\Handaxe.tga
G:\User\Cosmin\Gladiator\Animation_Export\GLAD_FUN_IDLE_1H.MAX
G:\User\Cosmin\Gladiator\Animation_Export\GLAD_FUN_IDLE_2H.MAX
G:\User\Cosmin\Gladiator\Animation_Export\GLAD_FUN_IDLE_BH.MAX
G:\User\Dirk\DirkBackup\DirkWork\Working\Stuff\Cabinet\Ready\MaxFiles\Cabinet Ready\chest1a.max
G:\User\Dirk\DirkBackup\DirkWork\Working\Stuff\Cabinet\Ready\MaxFiles\Cabinet Ready\chest1a_open.max
G:\User\Dirk\DirkBackup\DirkWork\Working\Stuff\Cabinet\Ready\MaxFiles\Cabinet Ready\chest_01.tga
G:\User\Dirk\Work2\Charackters\VLady rework\New_Animations\VLady_Day_New2.max
G:\User\Dirk\Work2\Charackters\VLady rework\vlady_d_head.tga
H:\SacredData\Models\heroes\DarkElve\max\DarkElve_mit_Physik2.max
H:\SacredData\Models\shields\mesh\shield_kite.max
H:\User\Cosmin\Gladi_Armoure\Hand_Leg_Armoure.tga
H:\User\Markus\Von Dirk\axe_tribal.max
I:\Models\npc\novizin\maxfiles\movizin_legs.tga
I:\Models\npc\novizin\maxfiles\novizin_head.tga
I:\Sacred\SacredData_OBSOLETE\ExportBackups\Gladiator\Gladiator_armor_celal.max
I:\User\Dirk\DirkBackup\DirkWork\Working\Stuff\Cabinet\Ready\MaxFiles\Cabinet Ready\coffin1a.max
J:\SacredData\Models\Items\sunglasses\mesh\Sonnenbrille_DarkElve.max
J:\SacredData\Models\Items\sunglasses\mesh\Sonnenbrille_Gladiator.max
J:\SacredData\Models\weapons\mesh\staff_mage.max
M:\Sacred\3D_Originale\monster\skeleton_warrior\max\skeleton_warrior.tga
M:\Sacred\3DMaster\Exports\Seraphim\sera_attack_2waffen_a.max
M:\User\ralph\vonSteve\lever_axis.tga
M:\User\ralph\vonSteve\lever_gearwheel.tga
M:\User\ralph\vonSteve\lever_main.tga
N:\User\Cosmin\Gladi_Armoure\Gladiator_ArmGloves.max
N:\User\Cosmin\Gladi_Armoure\Gladiator_Armor.max
N:\User\Cosmin\sera\ArchAngel_armor_texturing2.max
N:\User\Dirk\DirkBackup\DirkWork\Working\Work_02_07\Armor\ruestungen\Gladiator\Gladiator_Armor02\Glad_Amulett_01.max
N:\User\Dirk\DirkBackup\DirkWork\Working\Work_02_07\Armor\ruestungen\Gladiator\Gladiator_Armor02\Glad_Armor_02.tga
N:\User\Dirk\DirkBackup\DirkWork\Working\Work_02_07\Armor\ruestungen\Gladiator\Gladiator_Armor03\Armor3_Body.max
N:\User\Dirk\DirkBackup\DirkWork\Working\Work_02_07\Armor\ruestungen\Gladiator\Gladiator_Armor03\G_ARMOR3.tga
N:\User\Dirk\Work2\Charackters\Seraphim\sera_special_multi_2waffen.max
N:\User\Dirk\Work2\Monster\Skeleton\Skeleton_warrior_Head.max
P:\Armalion\ArmaPak\PAK\GrannyR\Items\Granny\Max\ring.max
P:\Armalion\ArmaPak\PAK\GrannyR\npc\farmer_fem\maxfiles\farmer_female_09.max
P:\Armalion\ArmaPak\PAK\GrannyR\weapons\maps\Boronsic.tga
P:\Armalion\ArmaPak\PAK\Textures\Maps\animals\sheep.tga
P:\Armalion\ArmaPak\PAK\Textures\Maps\Weapons\Drachent.tga
P:\Armalion\ArmaPak\PAK\Textures\Maps\Weapons\schlagri.tga
P:\Armalion\ArmaPak\PAK\Textures\Maps\Weapons\schleude.tga
P:\Armalion\ArmaPak\PAK\Textures\Maps\Weapons\sichel1.tga
P:\SacredData\Models\Items\mesh\amulett\elve_sorceress_AM_Wasser.max
P:\SacredData\Models\Items\totem\mesh\Totem_Murrays_Totenschaedel.max
R:\Ikarion\Armalion\lowpoly\animals\chicken\meshes\chicken_07.max
R:\Ikarion\Armalion\lowpoly\animals\crow\meshes\crow_05.max
Z:\Sacred\SacredData\Models\Doors\mesh\door_flat9a.bmp
Z:\Sacred\SacredData\Models\Doors\mesh\Door_Hof01.max
Z:\Sacred\SacredData\Models\Doors\mesh\Door_Villa01.max
And this line (and similar ones) that indicated that some graphics work was done by externals (probably the guys at Spellcraft):

Code: Select all

\\ZEUS\Kunden A-M\Ikarion\Armalion\lowpoly\enemies\black_magician\maps\black_magician.bmp
(Kunden = Customers. So this Path implies that the creator of the file had Ikarian as a customer in the name range from A to M and made stuff for their Armalion project aka Sacred.)

dezodor

Post by dezodor »

didn't know they worked on sacred and armalion in the same time, maybe many stuff from armalion appeared in sacred1

Hallfiry
Donator

Post by Hallfiry »

dezodor wrote:didn't know they worked on sacred and armalion in the same time, maybe many stuff from armalion appeared in sacred1
Sacred is Armalion. After Armalion was cancelled, they made it into Sacred. It's like with Divine Divinity and LMK.

Thraxeman

Post by Thraxeman »

Hallfiry wrote:
dezodor wrote:didn't know they worked on sacred and armalion in the same time, maybe many stuff from armalion appeared in sacred1
Sacred is Armalion. After Armalion was cancelled, they made it into Sacred. It's like with Divine Divinity and LMK.
Exactly :) , Armalion was being developed by Ikarion; when they went bankrupt they sold the work they had done to Ascaron and then Sacred was born. Anyway, cool find Hallfiry :D

Hallfiry
Donator

Post by Hallfiry »

I did some catalog research on Sacred (and filled gaps with stuff from friends and the internet) and found 4 demos of Sacred.

The first is the German demo 1.0.0 that seemingly came exclusively with GameStar 03/04 (all variants of that issue). It is a prerelease demo as far as I can tell and features a 12mb sacred.pdb file along with the 4mb sacred.exe, potentially allowing deep insight into the game's actual source code.
http://www.kultcds.com/Catalog/index.ph ... 36282&o=da

The second demo is German 1.1.0. It came with an Ascaron demo CD in 2004 and iirc was also available online. It might have been on PC Games and other mgazine CDs, too, but sadly my catalog isn't very dense around that time.

The third and fourth demo are both English and numbered 1.0.0. This version number doesn't seem correct to me, but maybe they had reasons for it. One variant was available all over the place (e.g. here: http://www.kultcds.com/Catalog/index.ph ... 40172&o=da and on various websites) the other variant came with the Ascaron demo CD mentioned above and was named "Sacred Demo GB", while the other demo is "sacreddemoeng". The English demos only differ in the file global.res.

I've made all demos available on my games page:
http://kultcds.com/Games/index.php?page=game&game=125

dezodor

Post by dezodor »

If we browse the german demo (which has pdb too), we can find such:
D:\BuildServer\Lord\Source\Armalion___Win32_Master_Release_DEMO\

So they still called it armalion internally i guess, even the world was named like that.

Hallfiry
Donator

Post by Hallfiry »

dezodor wrote:If we browse the german demo (which has pdb too)
dezodor wrote:So they still called it armalion internally i guess, even the world was named like that.
Isn't that both what I said above already? :D

Also: no other demo seems to have the pdb file except the German 1.0.0 version. Idk if the retail version has one though.

I'm not sure how we should further proceed (provided we wanna dig deeper). Maybe we should create a full overview of mentioned and/or existing files and then just try to make some sense of it, like understanding the departments, who did what graphics portions, etc. We could also try to compare it all to the known Armalion screenshots and videos. Additionally we could extract textures and such from the demos (especally the German 1.0.0.)

For further referrence I now declare the following naming system, so we don't have to write the long names anymore:
100g -> German 1.0.0 (gamestar)
110g -> German 1.1.0 (ascaron demo CD and everywhere else)
100gb -> English 1.0.0 GB (french magazine cd and internet)
100eng -> English 1.0.0 ENG (ascaron demo CD)

dezodor

Post by dezodor »

Hallfiry wrote:Isn't that both what I said above already? :D
True :D I'm just a bit overexcited. Currently trying to find a proper pak extractor for it, so I could see the content. The one i found does not keep filenames and extensions, unfortunately. The models are in rad format, probably made with rad-game-tools plugin from max4.0 (RAD 3D Studio MAX 4.x 1.2b 10-4-2000)

Hallfiry
Donator

Post by Hallfiry »

dezodor wrote:
Hallfiry wrote:Isn't that both what I said above already? :D
True :D I'm just a bit overexcited. Currently trying to find a proper pak extractor for it, so I could see the content. The one i found does not keep filenames and extensions, unfortunately. The models are in rad format, probably made with rad-game-tools plugin from max4.0 (RAD 3D Studio MAX 4.x 1.2b 10-4-2000)

Well, I could quickly write one. pak looked uncompressed to me when I last checked. I'll maybe look into that tomorrow.

EDIT: Looked into it. Filenames werent preserved in the pak files in general.There is a silverlining though: Each model has texture paths and the name of the corresponding .max file. I can write an extractor that will give files their max name (or replace .max with .rad there) on extraction. Some files seem to contain only meta info. For example tiles.pak and MODELS.TMP. EDIT2: I think I'll write a program that simply renames the extracted models according to their max file, instead of writing a new extractor.

Thraxeman

Post by Thraxeman »

Here there are the Sacred Model Extractor and Texture Extractor i have found :D

https://mega.co.nz/#!CxBzXAgR!JdfzXoav5 ... jicqwWRYWk

Note: To view the models you need the RAD Granny viewer

The models are in GRN format, animations in grn+

While browsing mobygames i came across the trivia page of Realms of Arkania 3; Hallfiry the first note seems interesting :P

http://www.mobygames.com/game/realms-of ... iva/trivia

Hallfiry
Donator

Post by Hallfiry »

Yet another demo of Sacred surfaced in my catalog:
http://www.kultcds.com/Catalog/index.ph ... dn=&descr=

this time on Gamestar 03/04 Demo. I've uploaded it to Mega and put it on the kultcds games page (that is mostly curated by MrFlibble)
http://kultcds.com/Games/index.php?page ... 125&hl=811

MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

Forgot to ask, what are the differences between all the versions of Sacred demos? Are they purely technical (different builds, languages) or are there any differences in content as well?

Hallfiry
Donator

Post by Hallfiry »

MrFlibble wrote:Forgot to ask, what are the differences between all the versions of Sacred demos? Are they purely technical (different builds, languages) or are there any differences in content as well?
As far as I've seen, there are only such technical differences, nothing regarding content. The only major thing (which still is techy) is the .pdb file, accidentially left with the earliest demo.

MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

Are there any build numbers in the executables/elsewhere, or just version numbers?

Hallfiry
Donator

Post by Hallfiry »

MrFlibble wrote:Are there any build numbers in the executables/elsewhere, or just version numbers?
Just version numbers and PE dates.

Thraxeman

Post by Thraxeman »

I have found an album here with some screenshots, in particular this one shows che character (creation?) screen:

Anyone could translate this screen? :)

Darkstar
Donator

Post by Darkstar »

Left side: these are the classes
* Warrior
* Mage
* Elf
* Wizard
* Priest of Boron (God of Death in DSA/Armalion lore)
* Priest of Phex (God of Luck, Thieves, etc in DSA/Armalion lore)

Right side: these are the primary stats
* Courage
* Intelligence
* Intuition
* Charisma
* Finesse/Dexterity
* Nimbleness
* Strength

The name ("Holgi the Barbarian") and "Next"/"Prev" buttons

On the bottom are the skills you can pick:

First column:
* Acrobatics
* Balancing
* Detect traps
* Disarm traps

Second column:
* Set up traps
* Read tracks
* Bind (people)/unbind (yourself) from shackles
* Fly (only for witches or wizards actually ;-) )

third column:
* Healing medicine
* Climbing
* Riding
* Sneaking

last column:
* Open locks
* Jump
* Pickpocketing
* Hide
I upload stuff to archive.org from time to time. See here for everything that doesn't fit BA

Hallfiry
Donator

Post by Hallfiry »

Nex of tcrf.net and I teamed up to investigate the earliest Sacred demo a bit. Turns out he was able to deactivate the ending trigger (which would summon a super strong monster and fade the screen to black) and traverse a river, so the entire demo map became explorable:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQB0ew5FHpo
Here's his sketch of the map, showing where you could normally explore, and where you can now explore: