How to switch off ACPI in VMware Workstation?

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
Archive Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
Archive Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
winlego3210

How to switch off ACPI in VMware Workstation?

Post by winlego3210 »

Just as the title says, how to I switch off ACPI in VMware Workstation 9?
x86 assembly: imperial
68k assembly: metric

RentedMule
Donator

Re: How to switch off ACPI in VMware Workstation?

Post by RentedMule »

You don't switch it off in VMWare itself, you switch it off in the guest os.

Lukas Marsik

Post by Lukas Marsik »

RentedMule wrote:You don't switch it off in VMWare itself, you switch it off in the guest os.
Yeah sure... add this to the VM's .vmx file, make sure it is the last line:

Code: Select all

acpi.present = "FALSE"

cantasan99

Post by cantasan99 »

You can select VM > Power > Power on to BIOS and BIOS will open, so that you can disable ACPI.

Turkish translator of Wine/Known as ctasan in ReactOS Forum
ReactOS Community Changelogs - Don't miss improvements!

winlego3210

Post by winlego3210 »

How about VirtualBox?
x86 assembly: imperial
68k assembly: metric

MegaDragon998
Donator

Post by MegaDragon998 »

winlego3210 wrote:How about VirtualBox?
You realise that question can be easily answered by google?

WinPC

Post by WinPC »

MegaDragon998 wrote:
winlego3210 wrote:How about VirtualBox?
You realise that question can be easily answered by google?
Except that this community at least has a great deal of experience with virtualization, since the whole point of this community is to install and test operating systems and software, something which is done primarily by way of virtualization.

In my opinion, we need a dedicated page (or thread for that matter) with information on installing and configuring a wide variety of emulators and virtualization packages for each platform (by "platform" I mean both, host and guest), so that members won't have to ask themselves or search for information from other sources.

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

WinPC, that's what the tutorials section is for.

WinPC

Post by WinPC »

Andy wrote:WinPC, that's what the tutorials section is for.
Only no one uses it anymore. It seems to me that people have somehow abandoned it.

And it's not like it is a centralized thread dedicated solely to emulation and virtualization either - while it does infact have several topics related to such, what we really need is one (stickied) thread dedicated to that subject entirely, so that members won't have to constantly search through loads of unrelated topics or worse, searching elsewhere entirely.

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

And they'll continue to do so unless people post tutorials there.

MegaDragon998
Donator

Post by MegaDragon998 »

WinPC wrote:
Andy wrote:WinPC, that's what the tutorials section is for.
Only no one uses it anymore. It seems to me that people have somehow abandoned it.

And it's not like it is a centralized thread dedicated solely to emulation and virtualization either - while it does infact have several topics related to such, what we really need is one (stickied) thread dedicated to that subject entirely, so that members won't have to constantly search through loads of unrelated topics or worse, searching elsewhere entirely.
What's the problem with google? Google does it pretty good and in my opinion we don't need to fill forum with useless tutorials which are usually one of 3 top results on google search.
I know some users really want to use BA for their personal encyclopedia, but that's not really possible.Adding tutorial for every single thing would overload the forum.Also, if user really can't find any help on google, he (or she) can always ask on IRC channel on which im sure they would easily fix the problem.

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

BA is supposed to be here to keep these tutorials available. Off-site tutorials won't exist forever so our aim is to compile that information ourselves in one place.

MegaDragon998
Donator

Post by MegaDragon998 »

Andy wrote:BA is supposed to be here to keep these tutorials available. Off-site tutorials won't exist forever so our aim is to compile that information ourselves in one place.
Since when is that? Also off-site tutorials can be archived using web archive which archives most of the stuff these days.(If they are not archived, they are mostly still there as i found few tutorials written in 1997 or so)

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

Not everything is archived by the web archive, and even if it is, it can often be years behind in actually publishing it. We're an archive site not just for the files but for everything associated with it as well. Why can't you accept that? That is our purpose, otherwise you might as well say we shouldn't exist because the web archive might have copied of everything we have on the site too.

MegaDragon998
Donator

Post by MegaDragon998 »

Andy wrote:Not everything is archived by the web archive, and even if it is, it can often be years behind in actually publishing it. We're an archive site not just for the files but for everything associated with it as well. Why can't you accept that? That is our purpose, otherwise you might as well say we shouldn't exist because the web archive might have copied of everything we have on the site too.
I can accept that we must archive stuff, but i think this is going to be too much.

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

Archiving the web would be too much for us, but archiving related topics to beta's is not. That's why this site existed from day one.

WinPC

Post by WinPC »

MegaDragon998 wrote:What's the problem with google? Google does it pretty good and in my opinion we don't need to fill forum with useless tutorials which are usually one of 3 top results on google search.
I know some users really want to use BA for their personal encyclopedia, but that's not really possible.Adding tutorial for every single thing would overload the forum.Also, if user really can't find any help on google, he (or she) can always ask on IRC channel on which im sure they would easily fix the problem.
BetaArchive is dedicated to installing and testing operating systems and software. How does that not involve virtualization? Most people use virtualization when they test it anyway, so having virtualization-related topics is quite important for us when people are searching for information on how to get each operating system and each piece of software to work.

Also, the problem with Google is that it often takes words out of context. Just yesterday, when I was searching online for information on how to enable MIDI support in VirtualBox with Windows NT 3.51 as the guest operating system, in just about every case, the words were taken out of context in such a way that nearly all of the search results that I received were pretty much unrelated.

Add to that the fact that not all information is even readily accessible from Google, and even then, this is after all, a forum that is dedicated to installing and testing software, so I don't personally see how virtualization-related questions are at all inappropriate here.

I also agree with Andy; sometimes sites go offline, so we should be aiming to preserve these tutorials as much as possible in case that happens.

MegaDragon998
Donator

Post by MegaDragon998 »

WinPC wrote:
MegaDragon998 wrote:What's the problem with google? Google does it pretty good and in my opinion we don't need to fill forum with useless tutorials which are usually one of 3 top results on google search.
BetaArchive is dedicated to installing and testing operating systems and software. How does that not involve virtualization? Most people use virtualization when they test it anyway, so having virtualization-related topics is quite important for us when people are searching for information on how to get each operating system and each piece of software to work.

Also, the problem with Google is that it often takes words out of context. Just yesterday, when I was searching online for information on how to enable MIDI support in VirtualBox with Windows NT 3.51 as the guest operating system, in just about every case, the words were taken out of context in such a way that nearly all of the search results that I received were pretty much unrelated.

Add to that the fact that not all information is even readily accessible from Google, and even then, this is after all, a forum that is dedicated to installing and testing software, so I don't personally see how virtualization-related questions are at all inappropriate here.

I also agree with Andy; sometimes sites go offline, so we should be aiming to preserve these tutorials as much as possible in case that happens.
Ok, BA should archive every single thing that someone needs and should be another wikipedia.Hmm...that reminds me of....why dont we use BA wiki for tutorials if they are so precious?

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

That is a good idea. The forum or the wiki can be used for such things. Feel free to copy them over to the wiki if you wish.

MegaDragon998
Donator

Post by MegaDragon998 »

Andy wrote:That is a good idea. The forum or the wiki can be used for such things. Feel free to copy them over to the wiki if you wish.
I'm glad we share opinion on that. :)