Old Hot Wheels PC game

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
Archive Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
Archive Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Krytus

Old Hot Wheels PC game

Post by Krytus »

One of the many old games that only a few people in the world know about is called Hot Wheels World Race, and as of today, it falls primarily under the category of abandonware. Personally, I still play that game on my compatible systems, as the game has a limitation on the specs of a PC it can handle. So far, the strongest thing I could get it to work on is a Pentium-4 2.80-GHz 533-FSB socket 478 cpu/system. I've been trying to get it to work with newer CPUs like P4 3.20-GHz, at 800 fsb, (hyper threaded superscalar architecture) still on socket 478, but the game freezes when it gets to the main screen. I've tried everything I can think of to fix this; swapped the video card a few times, increased the speed of my cpu fan to keep it cool (P4 3x GHz CPUs tend to get very hot) and it still won't start right.

I have also tried installing it on a system with an Intel I5 CPU, but the installer says its a Pentium-2 processor. The Hot Wheels World Race game was designed with a minimum requirement of a Pentium-3 CPU, but I know that it requires much more colossal power to run at full capacity, so I later tried the installer on an I7 CPU which should work, right? WRONG!! The installer reads I7 as Pentium-3, which really doesn't surprise me as even hardware and processor manufacturers have to re-use their old baseline technology in their newer parts sometimes. Because the game can run a minimum of a Pentium-3, and it reads the I7 as P3, I installed the game to see what would happen...

Same result as with socket 478 P4 3.20-GHz CPU, game starts up but freezes at the main screen. I suspect that this is a very rare error at the original source code within the game itself and the installer program. I don't have any experience with game coding, let alone any program coding, so I need help repairing and re-packing the game to run on newer hardware! Also, it you want to test the game program yourself, just request it here and I'll PM you a download link.
Last edited by Krytus on Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

James

Re: Old Hot Wheels PC game

Post by James »

Actually, the installer detects it as Pentium III because it can't see anything higher. It doesn't understand what Intel i7 is, because it was programmed back in the 1990's. That's unrelated. It could also do with your operating system, it might be too new to play the game.

WinPC

Post by WinPC »

James wrote:Actually, the installer detects it as Pentium III because it can't see anything higher. It doesn't understand what Intel i7 is, because it was programmed back in the 1990's.
You mean the late 1990s. There's a huge difference (both technological and cultural) between the early to mid-1990s (1990 to 1996) and the late 1990s. :)
James wrote:That's unrelated. It could also do with your operating system, it might be too new to play the game.
Probably, it was designed for Windows 95 and Windows 98, so it might not run properly on Windows NT, or at least not Windows Vista and later (still not sure whether the original poster was running it on that or whether he was attempting to run it on Windows XP.

James

Post by James »

WinPC wrote:
James wrote:Actually, the installer detects it as Pentium III because it can't see anything higher. It doesn't understand what Intel i7 is, because it was programmed back in the 1990's.
You mean the late 1990s. There's a huge difference (both technological and cultural) between the early to mid-1990s (1990 to 1996) and the late 1990s. :)
James wrote:That's unrelated. It could also do with your operating system, it might be too new to play the game.
Probably, it was designed for Windows 95 and Windows 98, so it might not run properly on Windows NT, or at least not Windows Vista and later (still not sure whether the original poster was running it on that or whether he was attempting to run it on Windows XP.
The 1990's is still a period of time spanning 1990 to 1999. Cultural or technological differences aside, you don't just divide the 90's in two. (But that's unrelated).

It probably has to do with Windows NT's incompatibility, yeah.

Krytus

Post by Krytus »

James wrote:Actually, the installer detects it as Pentium III because it can't see anything higher. It doesn't understand what Intel i7 is, because it was programmed back in the 1990's. That's unrelated. It could also do with your operating system, it might be too new to play the game.
Trust me, I have tried this game on every windows 9x, xp, vista, and 7 build, and the result is always the same. definitely the processor.

James

Post by James »

Krytus wrote:
James wrote:Actually, the installer detects it as Pentium III because it can't see anything higher. It doesn't understand what Intel i7 is, because it was programmed back in the 1990's. That's unrelated. It could also do with your operating system, it might be too new to play the game.
Trust me, I have tried this game on every windows 9x, xp, vista, and 7 build, and the result is always the same. definitely the processor.
The installer never changes, so it will detect the same.

Krytus

Post by Krytus »

Probably, it was designed for Windows 95 and Windows 98, so it might not run properly on Windows NT, or at least not Windows Vista and later (still not sure whether the original poster was running it on that or whether he was attempting to run it on Windows XP.[/quote]

Wrong. The game works just fine in XP OS with the right P4 CPU.

Krytus

Post by Krytus »

The installer never changes, so it will detect the same.[/quote]

Partly right, but for this particular programming, the game was likely designed to accept a specific line of code from older CPUs.

startmenuisgone

Post by startmenuisgone »

If your PC is not some old brick and can run Virtual Machines at full speed, id suggest simply downloading Windows 2000, then this game. Install 2000 on virtual box, then install this game in the virtual 2000.

Thats what i had to do for a few games that simply downright refused to run on later OS systems and processors.
Please be aware that someone else is using the name "startmenuisgone" on other sites and it is NOT me. I am only registered with that name here and on assembler games. The other accounts are fraud!

Krytus

Post by Krytus »

startmenuisgone wrote:If your PC is not some old brick and can run Virtual Machines at full speed, id suggest simply downloading Windows 2000, then this game. Install 2000 on virtual box, then install this game in the virtual 2000.

Thats what i had to do for a few games that simply downright refused to run on later OS systems and processors.

For the tenth time, the OS is not the problem, it is a matter of processor technology recognition in the game's old code.

startmenuisgone

Krytus wrote:
startmenuisgone wrote:If your PC is not some old brick and can run Virtual Machines at full speed, id suggest simply downloading Windows 2000, then this game. Install 2000 on virtual box, then install this game in the virtual 2000.

For the tenth time, the OS is not the problem, it is a matter of processor technology recognition in the game's old code.
Yes, and the virtual machine should fix that. It also emulates a processor. A few of the games i have from the windows 95 days refuse to run on my 64 bit intel core 2 duo processor, but will run with the virtual machine. Try it.
Please be aware that someone else is using the name "startmenuisgone" on other sites and it is NOT me. I am only registered with that name here and on assembler games. The other accounts are fraud!

Krytus

Post by Krytus »

startmenuisgone wrote:
Krytus wrote:

Yes, and the virtual machine should fix that. It also emulates a processor. A few of the games i have from the windows 95 days refuse to run on my 64 bit intel core 2 duo processor, but will run with the virtual machine. Try it.
Hold the phone-- two things to say here...
1. since when and how does VMware simulate CPUs?
2. I always thought virtual systems were like remote desktop connection but on your own system, and that the background refresh subsystem was really slow. Besides, wouldn't it take massive power to run this kind of thing at full power, let alone at all?

startmenuisgone

Krytus wrote:
startmenuisgone wrote:
Krytus wrote:

2. I always thought virtual systems were like remote desktop connection but on your own system, and that the background refresh subsystem was really slow. Besides, wouldn't it take massive power to run this kind of thing at full power, let alone at all?

A:

1. Not sure. All i know, is that it always solves the issues revolving a CPU. My Windows 95 and 98 games that required certain CPU devices, like 32 bit, but refuse to work on 64 bit, play just fine using VM.

2. Depending on your PC specs and how much ram and memory you allow the VM to use, it should run just fine. This game you are talking is old, and if you have a modern computer that has a processor with Visualization support, it should run just fine. Just dont expect to run Fallout New Vegas or The Sims 3 in a VM. *hehe*

Krytus

Post by Krytus »

startmenuisgone wrote:
Krytus wrote:
startmenuisgone wrote:
Krytus wrote:

A:

1. Not sure. All i know, is that it always solves the issues revolving a CPU. My Windows 95 and 98 games that required certain CPU devices, like 32 bit, but refuse to work on 64 bit, play just fine using VM.

2. Depending on your PC specs and how much ram and memory you allow the VM to use, it should run just fine. This game you are talking is old, and if you have a modern computer that has a processor with Visualization support, it should run just fine. Just dont expect to run Fallout New Vegas or The Sims 3 in a VM. *hehe*
Does VMware stuff work with a socket 478 Pentium-4 3.20-GHz CPU with 800FSB and a 1-MB L2 cache?

MSUser2013
Donator

Post by MSUser2013 »

Krytus wrote:Does VMware stuff work with a socket 478 Pentium-4 3.20-GHz CPU with 800FSB and a 1-MB L2 cache?
It depends on what version of VMware you want to use, VMware Workstation 4.5 works just fine on my Dell desktop with an Intel Pentium 4 2.4 GHz CPU the last time I tried it

clt_42

Post by clt_42 »

Krytus wrote:One of the many old games that only a few people in the world know about is called Hot Wheels World Race, and as of today, it falls primarily under the category of abandonware. Personally, I still play that game on my compatible systems, as the game has a limitation on the specs of a PC it can handle. So far, the strongest thing I could get it to work on is a Pentium-4 2.80-GHz 533-FSB socket 478 cpu/system. I've been trying to get it to work with newer CPUs like P4 3.20-GHz, at 800 fsb, (hyper threaded superscalar architecture) still on socket 478, but the game freezes when it gets to the main screen. I've tried everything I can think of to fix this; swapped the video card a few times, increased the speed of my cpu fan to keep it cool (P4 3x GHz CPUs tend to get very hot) and it still won't start right.

I have also tried installing it on a system with an Intel I5 CPU, but the installer says its a Pentium-2 processor. The Hot Wheels World Race game was designed with a minimum requirement of a Pentium-3 CPU, but I know that it requires much more colossal power to run at full capacity, so I later tried the installer on an I7 CPU which should work, right? WRONG!! The installer reads I7 as Pentium-3, which really doesn't surprise me as even hardware and processor manufacturers have to re-use their old baseline technology in their newer parts sometimes. Because the game can run a minimum of a Pentium-3, and it reads the I7 as P3, I installed the game to see what would happen...

Same result as with socket 478 P4 3.20-GHz CPU, game starts up but freezes at the main screen. I suspect that this is a very rare error at the original source code within the game itself and the installer program. I don't have any experience with game coding, let alone any program coding, so I need help repairing and re-packing the game to run on newer hardware! Also, it you want to test the game program yourself, just request it here and I'll PM you a download link that I started up, just know that it is in a torrent file so you'll need a torrent client program to use the torrent.
clean the old thermal paste off the CPU and it's heatsink and add arctic silver. Do the same for the VGA card.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

R.I.P EX OSBA Title :(

clt_42

Post by clt_42 »

Krytus wrote:One of the many old games that only a few people in the world know about is called Hot Wheels World Race, and as of today, it falls primarily under the category of abandonware. Personally, I still play that game on my compatible systems, as the game has a limitation on the specs of a PC it can handle. So far, the strongest thing I could get it to work on is a Pentium-4 2.80-GHz 533-FSB socket 478 cpu/system. I've been trying to get it to work with newer CPUs like P4 3.20-GHz, at 800 fsb, (hyper threaded superscalar architecture) still on socket 478, but the game freezes when it gets to the main screen. I've tried everything I can think of to fix this; swapped the video card a few times, increased the speed of my cpu fan to keep it cool (P4 3x GHz CPUs tend to get very hot) and it still won't start right.

Same result as with socket 478 P4 3.20-GHz CPU, game starts up but freezes at the main screen. I suspect that this is a very rare error at the original source code within the game itself and the installer program. I don't have any experience with game coding, let alone any program coding, so I need help repairing and re-packing the game to run on newer hardware! Also, it you want to test the game program yourself, just request it here and I'll PM you a download link that I started up, just know that it is in a torrent file so you'll need a torrent client program to use the torrent.
clean the old thermal paste off the CPU and it's heatsink and add arctic silver. Do the same for the VGA card.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

R.I.P EX OSBA Title :(

Krytus

Post by Krytus »

clt_42 wrote:

I've already tried, that, and I assure you it's not a temperature problem.