Portal 2 F-stop

Discussion of beta and abandonware topics not fit for the other forums goes here.
starcandy

Portal 2 F-stop

Post by starcandy »

Hi,

Does anyone have anything on the beta for portal 2 with the F-stop . I know that valve might use it in an other game. I did find this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YFk1Nk4qac.

Thanks.

Kapi

Re: Portal 2 F-stop

Post by Kapi »

I don't think you're going to get much from anybody, sadly.

The video you linked to is interesting, but it provides no details on the gameplay. In fact, Valve has said next to nothing about it, aside from the game being set in the past.

It was canned about a year into development. According to the interactive book: The Final Hours of Portal 2;
By the summer, an early version of the game was up and running for friends and family to play at the office. And that's when things took a turn for the worse. Players would sit down to play, fully expecting to fire portals and get chastised by GLaDOS' auto-tuned rants. But as they continued to play, it became painfully clear that neither of these elements was going to appear in the sequel. In feedback sessions after gameplay, the message was clear: Had Valve had incinerated its sanity core? The new ideas were fun and exciting, but surely this wasn't Portal 2.
Pages 5-6 to 5-7

So, it was canned because it didn't contain portals. Some people have speculated that it was just the gels at first, but that's false as well, since the mechanics from TAG: The power of Paint, weren't put into the game until later.

It will probably be a while before we hear, or see, much about F-STOp as a whole. But don't get your hopes up, things are always leaked on the Internet...

starcandy

Post by starcandy »

I found a second video from GDC http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvBmyw2wY44
Nothing new but still cool. I'm going to have to dig deeper.

starcandy

Post by starcandy »

Found a image with what might f stop on the whiteboard

I think f stop might be where you stop time move stuff around. Then start time again and watch the chain reactions. This is based off a theory i read.