IE on NT 4.0?

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
Homers
Location: Bliss, Sonoma, CA ...... (the most beautiful place in the world >>>)

IE on NT 4.0?

Post by Homers »

Hi everyone.

I'm using Windows NT Workstation 4.0 (SP6) on Virtual PC. It rocks! The thing is, every NT 4.0 comes with IE2 (at least mine did -- I downloaded the NT 4.0 ISO somewhere and installed it: it was SP1, I then downloaded the SP6 upgrade on the host PC and transferred it to the virtual and installed SP6 on it, but still IE2...)

I've downloaded IE6 from the host and transferred it to the virtual to try and update IE. But it requires 'Windows Update', and obviously Microsoft don't have update links to NT 4.0 anymore. Whenever I start the setup, it gives the message 'The download location information is damaged. Please clear your Internet Explorer browser cache and retry setup.' I've already tried Googling it but the solutions didn't work and are outdated. I tried for IE5.5, same thing.

So is there any way to update to IE6 (or 5.5 at least) offline?
Long live Windows XP!

ImageImage

roytam1

Re: IE on NT 4.0?

Post by roytam1 »

Homers

Post by Homers »

Thanks for the link but it doesn't work. I downloaded it and transferred to the virtual NT 4.0, but when I double click on the file, it opens and closes a Command Prompt for a split-second, every time!
Long live Windows XP!

ImageImage

ALEXYERGA

Post by ALEXYERGA »

Homers wrote:Thanks for the link but it doesn't work. I downloaded it and transferred to the virtual NT 4.0, but when I double click on the file, it opens and closes a Command Prompt for a split-second, every time!
Try with this: http://www.mediafire.com/?r995lttcrrx75rd

I have download for me when still avalaible in Microsoft download center.
It's a zip with the files, extract in a folder, and run IE6SETUP.EXE
Last edited by ALEXYERGA on Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Favorites OS: Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 7 and Windows 8

Homers

Post by Homers »

ALEXYERGA wrote:
Homers wrote:Thanks for the link but it doesn't work. I downloaded it and transferred to the virtual NT 4.0, but when I double click on the file, it opens and closes a Command Prompt for a split-second, every time!

It's a zip with the files, extrac in a folder, and run IE6SETUP.EXE
Thanks a lot, it worked! Although the installation process is exactly the same (it still says 'Windows Update'), it actually did install everything. Now I can browse the web properly on NT 4.0 - thanks!

(I also installed Windows Media Player 7.0 on it, and now the OS rocks even more!)
Long live Windows XP!

ImageImage

ruojiner

Post by ruojiner »

NT4.0 can install Windows 98 IE6 update.

Homers

Post by Homers »

Just a note for other readers to know, this is the same step to take to update IE on Windows 98 and ME.
Long live Windows XP!

ImageImage

jhleekr2

Post by jhleekr2 »

Windows NT 4.0 supported until IE6.

maxtorix
Donator

Post by maxtorix »

Homers wrote:Just a note for other readers to know, this is the same step to take to update IE on Windows 98 and ME.
With installation of IE4 first, you can install Windows 98 Shell (look-like in explorer), you get extended folder option etc..., and after that you can upgrade to IE6 or IE6 with SP1, also you can install Windows Media Player 7.1, if you extract it first and overwrite setup.exe with setup.exe from version 7.0.

Enjoy! :)
(li) Every box with any belongings in it is just Isus's theft from ŽL. :evil:

RuMoR0922
Donator

Post by RuMoR0922 »

When I installed Windows NT 4.0, I thought it had IE 6.0 (I do have this weird little Plus! folder in my Program Files which is where IE is, though).

Even though IE is great for these types of OSes, I use Opera (b/c IE tends to crash every three seconds no matter what I do).

Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Homers wrote:Hi everyone.

I'm using Windows NT Workstation 4.0 (SP6) on Virtual PC. It rocks! The thing is, every NT 4.0 comes with IE2 (at least mine did -- I downloaded the NT 4.0 ISO somewhere and installed it: it was SP1, I then downloaded the SP6 upgrade on the host PC and transferred it to the virtual and installed SP6 on it, but still IE2...)

I've downloaded IE6 from the host and transferred it to the virtual to try and update IE. But it requires 'Windows Update', and obviously Microsoft don't have update links to NT 4.0 anymore. Whenever I start the setup, it gives the message 'The download location information is damaged. Please clear your Internet Explorer browser cache and retry setup.' I've already tried Googling it but the solutions didn't work and are outdated. I tried for IE5.5, same thing.

So is there any way to update to IE6 (or 5.5 at least) offline?
Here's how I've dealt with Windows NT 4.0 (at least the Workstation and Server editions--Terminal Server and Enterprise Server are a bit different):

[*]Install Windows NT 4.0 (original)
[*]Install SP3
[*]Install IE 4.0 (included on the SP3 CD)
[*]Install the Windows NT 4.0 Option Pack (optional)
[*]Install SP4 for Windows NT 4.0
[*]Install SP6a
[*]Install IE 6.0.

However, I already had the setup files for IE 6.0; I didn't try to download IE from within NT. Everything was OK.
Windows 7: the operating system that just won't die....

3155ffGd

Post by 3155ffGd »

Actually, I would directly go for the Option Pack, as it includes both SP3 and IE4. Saves a lot of hassle.

Once it is installed, you can directly skip to SP6a and install IE6. Preferably you should also install the rollup package. Afterwards, you're good to go.

Terminal Server has IE4 but the Setup fails every time for reasons unknown to me. So you should skip it in setup and get the Option Pack (it says it doesn't work on Terminal Server but I haven't noticed anything to that effect...) and install IE4 that way. Afterwards, grab SP6 and the rollup package and then you should be able to install IE6 as usual.

kinokijuf

Post by kinokijuf »

The shortest way:
- Install SP6
- Hack IE6 installer to install also things like Active desktop etc.
- Install Option Pack
- Install SP6 again

maxtorix
Donator

Post by maxtorix »

kinokijuf wrote: - Hack IE6 installer to install also things like Active desktop etc.
how to hack ie6 installer?
(li) Every box with any belongings in it is just Isus's theft from ŽL. :evil:

wjack12

Post by wjack12 »

RuMoR0922 wrote:When I installed Windows NT 4.0, I thought it had IE 6.0 (I do have this weird little Plus! folder in my Program Files which is where IE is, though).

Even though IE is great for these types of OSes, I use Opera (b/c IE tends to crash every three seconds no matter what I do).
I agree that Opera is a great browser for NT 4.0, but why not relive the days of the browser wars of the 90's and use Netscape?
Visit my site:
http://bit.ly/gmbns

Whistler

Post by Whistler »

3155ffGd wrote:Actually, I would directly go for the Option Pack, as it includes both SP3 and IE4. Saves a lot of hassle.

Once it is installed, you can directly skip to SP6a and install IE6. Preferably you should also install the rollup package. Afterwards, you're good to go.

Terminal Server has IE4 but the Setup fails every time for reasons unknown to me. So you should skip it in setup and get the Option Pack (it says it doesn't work on Terminal Server but I haven't noticed anything to that effect...) and install IE4 that way. Afterwards, grab SP6 and the rollup package and then you should be able to install IE6 as usual.
I agree with that (in fact, whenever I have NT 4, that's exactly how I do it). What I meant, however, is that the Option Pack, SP3 and IE4 are all separate software packages (by which I mean that they are all installed separately), even if they're bundled on a single CD. Of course, if you do have the Option Pack CD, you also have SP3 and IE4, so you don't have to acquire them separately.
Windows 7: the operating system that just won't die....

cantasan99

Post by cantasan99 »

Copy the package to desktop. I could install IE 6 on NT 4.0 version.

Turkish translator of Wine/Known as ctasan in ReactOS Forum
ReactOS Community Changelogs - Don't miss improvements!

Wheatley
Donator

Post by Wheatley »

cantasan99 wrote:
Copy the package to desktop. I could install IE 6 on NT 4.0 version.
Homers wrote:
ALEXYERGA wrote:

It's a zip with the files, extrac in a folder, and run IE6SETUP.EXE
Thanks a lot, it worked! Although the installation process is exactly the same (it still says 'Windows Update'), it actually did install everything. Now I can browse the web properly on NT 4.0 - thanks!

(I also installed Windows Media Player 7.0 on it, and now the OS rocks even more!)
Windows Defender for great justice! Bugs are an international trading company. I need to defeat the anti-debugging and obfuscation methods. It wasn't for Intel's absurd ability to load in ie6. Why even waste time with people in an envelope?