Whistler beta 1: Application binding information

Tutorials for Operating Systems, Applications etc can be posted here.
boxmaker

Whistler beta 1: Application binding information

Post by boxmaker »

Many applications will fail with the following message when you try to run them on Whistler beta 1 (2296):

Windows was not able to process the application binding information.

The reason for this is that the manifest format has changed between earlier whistler betas and the final release version of XP. If you want to run such an application, you have to override the manifest which is embedded as a resource inside the executable file.

Let's say the executable file is called myprog.exe

In the same directory, create a text file called myprog.exe.manifest and put the following code inside:

Code: Select all

<assembly manifestversion="1.0">
</assembly>
This is the shortest possible old-style manifest that is valid for Whistler beta 1. It will make the application use the "classic theme" for its common controls.
If you want to enable the new (watercolor) common controls, change the manifest to the following:

Code: Select all

<assembly manifestversion="1.0">
<dependency assemblyname="comctl32" version="6.0.0.0" />
</assembly>
If your application crashes when you have watercolor enabled, but runs OK when the classic theme is globally enabled - this is what happens with Firefox for example - you can try to remove references to uxtheme.dll as described here: Running Firefox on Whistler

4tified
Donator

Post by 4tified »

Thanks for the info... I had some problems with that lately with Whistler Build 2250, but thought there was no fix. Thanks again.
Laptop: Precision M6300 2.4GHz Core 2 T8300 / 4GB RAM / 320GB HD / ATI Quadro FX 3600m
Server: PowerEdge 1950 (Gen III) (x1) 2.5Ghz Xeon E5420 / 24GB FB-DDR2 / 1.5tb 7.2k SAS RAID 0
Desktop: Precision T5500 2.66GHz Xeon X5650 / 24GB DDR3 ECC / 2x 300GB Seagate 15k7

adun
Donator

Re: Whistler beta 1: Application binding information

Post by adun »

Sorry for the late post but I need your help.
Your Guide (Both, the classic and the watercolor manifest) dont work in Build 2257, tried evrything.
Is there something I must pay attention of ?
Must I add something more to the manifest file.