How to activate Windows 8 Developer Preview now?

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
smartboyhw

How to activate Windows 8 Developer Preview now?

Post by smartboyhw »

Question: How to activate Windows 8 Developer Preview now? I want to use it, since 8250 and 8400 are no good. Waiting to get 7989 after I get 10 posts.
Windows ME: Crap! Windows XP: Awesome! Windows Vista: Crap! Windows 7: Awesome! Windows 8: (Crap!) (c) 2012 smartboyhw
My Blog
Windows ISO's Forum Administrator

BAV0

Re: How to activate Windows 8 Developer Preview now?

Post by BAV0 »

What do you mean by "8250 and 8400 are no good", IMO they're better than the DP.
A good resource for activating builds is http://www.microsoftcollectionbook.com/.
Find me elsewhere on the web:
ImageImageImage

TheCollector1988
Donator

Post by TheCollector1988 »

just remove slui.exe, sppsvc.exe and slwga.dll and voila, disabled activation and even timebomb

BAV0

Post by BAV0 »

I just look it up on the MCB and there are no tools there to activate it.
Microsoft released an update that extends the expiration date on the DP to January 15, 2013, read about it here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2671501/en-us
Find me elsewhere on the web:
ImageImageImage

fexuaz555

Post by fexuaz555 »

So just delete these files:
SLLUA.exe
SLUI.exe
SLUINotift.dll
sppsvc.exe
slwga.dll
Main OS : Windows XP
Windows 9x Series : Good! Windows 2000 Good! Windows Vista : Not bad Windows 7 : Very good!
Windows XP = Love!!

smartboyhw

Post by smartboyhw »

fexuaz555 wrote:So just delete these files:
SLLUA.exe
SLUI.exe
SLUINotift.dll
sppsvc.exe
slwga.dll
The issue is, fexuaz555, that Windows Developer Preview's timebomb is, according to my sources, impossible to remove pre-installation. So, can you also remove the timebomb?
Windows ME: Crap! Windows XP: Awesome! Windows Vista: Crap! Windows 7: Awesome! Windows 8: (Crap!) (c) 2012 smartboyhw
My Blog
Windows ISO's Forum Administrator

spynoodle

Post by spynoodle »

SLLUA.exe
SLUI.exe
SLUINotift.dll
sppsvc.exe
slwga.dll
Can anyone vouch for this? I'm running 8102 because it's the last build to allow for the RPEnabled registry hack. I've been scouring the web for a way to remove the timebomb after installation. Does this method work for my build?

maxtorix
Donator

Post by maxtorix »

smartboyhw wrote:
SLLUA.exe
SLUI.exe
SLUINotift.dll
sppsvc.exe
slwga.dll
The issue is, fexuaz555, that Windows Developer Preview's timebomb is, according to my sources, impossible to remove pre-installation. So, can you also remove the timebomb?
However, I recommend for those who will choose offline option to combine it with my method for timebomb removing,
(li) Every box with any belongings in it is just Isus's theft from ŽL. :evil:

spynoodle

Post by spynoodle »

maxtorix wrote:
smartboyhw wrote:
SLLUA.exe
SLUI.exe
SLUINotift.dll
sppsvc.exe
slwga.dll
However, I recommend for those who will choose offline option to combine it with my method for timebomb removing,
I saw your posts in that thread, and the only problem for me is that I dread the prospect of having to do a clean install on both my Win8 rigs. Does the method described in this thread work as well?

Smorgan

Post by Smorgan »

Ummm guys I'm pretty sure that you can remove the time before the install.
-Smorgs

Given the fact that nothing is surprising in the tech universe if you know whats coming its actually quite boring to watch.

Pwned
Donator

Post by Pwned »

I'm doing the 2hr timebomb defeat stuff. I'll probably make a patch.

Smorgan

Post by Smorgan »

That being said Pwned I just created a Developer Preview copy that installed without any issues in regard to the actual date inside of Vmware. My methods remain my own however this looks promising so the question is what do you do wtih an OS that never expires theoretically and is beta?
-Smorgs

Given the fact that nothing is surprising in the tech universe if you know whats coming its actually quite boring to watch.

spynoodle

Post by spynoodle »

Pwned wrote:I'm doing the 2hr timebomb defeat stuff. I'll probably make a patch.
I'll be looking forward to this. :)

Smorgan

Post by Smorgan »

I'm rather more looking forward to the RTM as I've gotten board of the Release Preview everything has been said and done for it. Timebomb removal - done as well as activation stuff. Means I need a new toy to play with lol.
-Smorgs

maxtorix
Donator

Post by maxtorix »

Removing of files make activation unnecessary, however is not the same filing like when timebomb is removed and system activated.

First we'll have problem in Impressive PC settings where from time to time it says "by new product key".

I've ask Daz (MDL) for adding support on his loader for Windows 8 RP but he says: "Modifying system files isn't my area of work."

After that I ask for help creator of Advanced Tokens Manager - for backing up whole legal windows 8 activation, which I intend to restore it after January 2013 -he tell me that they can't restore the Windows 8 Evaluation Activation, and also mention this: "The TimeBomb is embedded on the Windows, not on the activation"

So I've tried to remove time-bomb and I wasn't totally successful (like on CP), especially because I wasn't able to remove Expiration string from Winver without editing shell32.dll.mui.

Now I think probably first loader for RTM build should work on RP build too, but main problem still remain - disarming timebomb.
(li) Every box with any belongings in it is just Isus's theft from ŽL. :evil:

Smorgan

Post by Smorgan »

Ok lets check off what your saying that is right and wrong.

Daz only does slic activation and is correct in that regard.
Your fully incorrect on the Advanced Tokens manager as well as timebomb being part of windows. Killing time bomb is 100% possible in most versions of Windows 8.
Your doing this the wrong way look at it from a licensing perspective.

I'm not into loaders so I have no answer in that regard.

I wish for people to learn how to do this on there own so I'm not going to give the keys.

In regards to what is happening we are going for a minimal mod to remove time-bomb meaning zero Activation file removal such as sppsvc.exe, slui.exe, sppc.dll, aka none of those file types.

Is this possible without deletion of those? I'll be honest yes it is on certain Editions.
-Smorgs

spynoodle

Post by spynoodle »

Here's what I'm wondering: does deleting the activation files negatively affect Windows in any way? Also, given that the RTM is out now, has anyone released another method of timebomb removal? I'm probably a rare case given that I'm running Developer Preivew, but it seems as though the Developer Preview timebomb has already been removed somehow fairly easily. Could anyone elaborate on this?

Smorgan

Post by Smorgan »

Removing the activation file or files is out of the question since office 2013 and windows 8 use the same files in order to be licensed. Its too early for anything to be released for the rtm I'm still giving it a spin right now. My method for time bomb removal remains my own since its so effective I'd rather not share with the world exactly what I did which is even more so the case concerning the activation if anything were to happen there lol
-Smorgs

spynoodle

Post by spynoodle »

Smorgan wrote:Removing the activation file or files is out of the question since office 2013 and windows 8 use the same files in order to be licensed. Its too early for anything to be released for the rtm I'm still giving it a spin right now. My method for time bomb removal remains my own since its so effective I'd rather not share with the world exactly what I did which is even more so the case concerning the activation if anything were to happen there lol
I don't use Office 2013, so can I delete the files? I use Office 2010. Also, I know you want to keep it secret, but could you PM me your method or something? I really want to know. :$

spynoodle

Post by spynoodle »

Any news on this? The timebomb is only a few months away, and the RTM has already been released.