B8: Redesigning chkdsk and the new NTFS health model

New news and release discussion.
linuxlove
Donator

B8: Redesigning chkdsk and the new NTFS health model

Post by linuxlove »

In this blog post, I’ll talk about the new NTFS health model for Windows 8 and our redesigned tool for disk corruption detection and fixing, the chkdsk utility.

We’ve all experienced the frustration that can be caused by an unexpected chkdsk that pops up while restarting a computer at home or a server at the office. Beyond the surprise, there’s the interruption while waiting for the process to complete and Windows to be available. With Windows 8, we provide quick resolution to these problems when they arise, putting the user in control and making systems more available and more scalable.

One of our key design goals for Windows 8 was to increase availability and reduce the overall down-time of systems; this feature, along with other storage features such as Storage Spaces and the new ReFS file system, helps reduce the complexity of fixing corruptions and increases the overall availability of the entire system.
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012 ... model.aspx

Important notes:
  • NTFS/chkdsk appears to be much more fault-tolerent, able to detect and correct disk errors within seconds.
  • NTFS will adapt between the Windows 7 format and the newer Windows 8 format, so you don't have to convert formats or lose data switching between the two.
  • Disk errors are made known to the user through the Action Center and through other dialogs
  • Remember the RAC GUID, that hex-based hash on the end of the build tag? It's still very much alive:
Goodbye.

z180
Donator

Re: B8: Redesigning chkdsk and the new NTFS health model

Post by z180 »

All times bigger code changes happen, MS makes a new incompatible NTFS format.
Tuxeras las driver is from January 22th.
Stephen Elop….I curse you, that after your death your soul will be forever trapped in the sourcecode of Windows and one day Microsoft will fall because of that virus code!

gamelover101

Post by gamelover101 »

I think, compared to the other changes (DVD playing requires you too party, etc.), this new feature will benefit consumers. CHKDSK saved 4 gigs of my files once. :?
Oops!

PlyrStar93

Post by PlyrStar93 »

gamelover101 wrote:CHKDSK saved 4 gigs of my files once. :?
Tbh once I noticed I lost nearly 30GB of files in one of my external hard disks, and I got it back with chkdsk.
Seems it's just a problem with the partition table, but it would be really annoying if that happens again... Anyway the files are OK, seems the same with a backup in another EXT-HD.

gamelover101

Post by gamelover101 »

PlyrStar93 wrote:
gamelover101 wrote:CHKDSK saved 4 gigs of my files once. :?
Tbh once I noticed I lost nearly 30GB of files in one of my external hard disks, and I got it back with chkdsk.
Seems it's just a problem with the partition table, but it would be really annoying if that happens again... Anyway the files are OK, seems the same with a backup in another EXT-HD.
My problem happened when I tried to convert FAT32 to NTFS. For some reason the disk management app crashed. Mah files are gone, I had thought. :$
Oops!