Moto Racer 2 won't launch

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
Archive Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
Archive Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
MugenFox
Donator

Moto Racer 2 won't launch

Post by MugenFox »

Hello. I recently bought Moto Racer 2 from GOG and it won't work (Windows 8 CP x64). The launcher opens, and when it does, I click play. I see a black screen as if it is launching, and then nothing happens. It just goes to desktop. Can anyone help me on this issue?
Offtopic Comment
Is it possible to make my own versions of GOG games? I mean like take my CD of let's say US navy Fighters and make it into a stand alone DOSBox integrated game?
Last edited by MugenFox on Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

evangelikevin
Donator

Re: Moto Racer 2 won't launch

Post by evangelikevin »

The problem could be that you're trying to run it on Windows 8. Win8 has enough compatibility issues with modern games. Older ones are probably even less likely to work. Does it give an error message or anything?
Yawn.

MugenFox
Donator

Post by MugenFox »

It doesn't. Just nothing happens. I wonder though, is it Windows 8 or 64-bit that's the problem? I might just revert back to Windows 7 if this is the issue.

evangelikevin
Donator

Post by evangelikevin »

Well, GOG should have compatibility info on its page. I know my Fallout download works on Win7 64-bit, so I'd check the game's page. If it doesn't list 64-bit compatibility, try it on a 32-bit OS.

EDIT: Looked it up. It has compatibility with 64-bit OSes, so the problem probably lies within Windows 8. Try it on 7 and see what happens.
Yawn.

MegaDragon998
Donator

Post by MegaDragon998 »

MugenFox wrote:Hello. I recently bought Moto Racer 2 from GOG and it won't work (Windows 9 CP x64). The launcher opens, and when it does, I click play. I see a black screen as if it is launching, and then nothing happens. It just goes to desktop. Can anyone help me on this issue?
Offtopic Comment
Is it possible to make my own versions of GOG games? I mean like take my CD of let's say US navy Fighters and make it into a stand alone DOSBox integrated game?
Windows 9 lol :D

neta

Post by neta »

Well, the GOG release of Moto Racer 2 will probably not be hosted by DOSBox.
Win9x-era GOG games deploy with a small startup wrapper that attempts to patch things at runtime (mainly by DLL injection) in order to make the game work on newer systems and/or to circumvent existing DRM schemes.

The guys at GOG spend a great deal of time investigating code faults and fiddling with the resulting game wrapper for each new release, but this process is delicate, error-prone, and of course it does not grant that the game wrapper will make work with later releases of Windows.

Particularly, 64bit OSes are an issue with this approach, while DOSBox-hosted games (Fallout 1 is one), generally do work ok.

MugenFox
Donator

Post by MugenFox »

MegaDragon998 wrote:
MugenFox wrote:Hello. I recently bought Moto Racer 2 from GOG and it won't work (Windows 9 CP x64). The launcher opens, and when it does, I click play. I see a black screen as if it is launching, and then nothing happens. It just goes to desktop. Can anyone help me on this issue?
Offtopic Comment
Windows 9 lol :D
Ahaha sorry my bad. Will edit it now.
evangelikevin wrote:Well, GOG should have compatibility info on its page. I know my Fallout download works on Win7 64-bit, so I'd check the game's page. If it doesn't list 64-bit compatibility, try it on a 32-bit OS.

EDIT: Looked it up. It has compatibility with 64-bit OSes, so the problem probably lies within Windows 8. Try it on 7 and see what happens.
Do you have Windows 7x64? If so, can I send you the game and have you try it? I have no available Win7 PCs right now and I wanna reinstall only if it is a last resort.

evangelikevin
Donator

Post by evangelikevin »

Yes, I have Win7 x64. Not sure how you'll send me the game, but if you can figure it out I'm game.
Yawn.

MugenFox
Donator

Post by MugenFox »

evangelikevin wrote:Yes, I have Win7 x64. Not sure how you'll send me the game, but if you can figure it out I'm game.
This is also a good question haha. Well I guess I might be forced to reinstall. I wanted to go back to Windows 7 anyway, as there are numerous things I don't really like with Windows 8.

MegaDragon998
Donator

Post by MegaDragon998 »

No problem just a little bit funny ;)

MugenFox
Donator

Post by MugenFox »

Apparantly, the game works, but only in 16-bit windowed mode. I do not mind this as I have dual monitor setup, and the second monitor has a low resolution so I'll just play it on there. my only problem is switching back and forth between 32 bit and 16 bit. Is there a way that i can set it to be 16 bit just for Moto Racer and 32 bit for everything else?