Pentium 133 Motherboard I/O port header pinout help

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
Archive Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
Archive Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Windows2000guy

Pentium 133 Motherboard I/O port header pinout help

Post by Windows2000guy »

sombody gave me an old Socket 7 Motherboard with a Pentium 133 CPU in it. They junked the case and gave me the boards for what ever reason, and now I don't have any I/O ports to connect stuff. eg. serial, paralell, 25 pin serial & PS/2 mouse. the board is a Baby AT form factor, so all ports except the DIN KB port must be on card slot blanks or mounted to the case. But I don't have the case or the ports, so I was wondering if any of you guys knew the proper pinout and maybe a way to mount the ports.

as far as I can tell the motherboard is a HOT-591P by Shuttle. I'm not sure though.

here is the motherboard:

these are the headers (just a guess, I've worked on these in the past, but its been too long)

I have a 9 Pin serial port & I just need a way to mount it to a slot, and I'd like the pinouts for the others as well ;)

If you have any ideas to mount a PS/2 port, let me know. I can't think of a way to do it. :s
The cake is a lie!

Pwned
Donator

Re: Pentium 133 Motherboard I/O port header pinout help

Post by Pwned »

The DIN port is for a keyboard, and you can connect a PS/2 keyboard to it (through an adapter, though). I don't think this mobo supports PS/2 mice.

Coppermine
Donator

Post by Coppermine »

Nice and rare motherboard! Good luck with it!

Well, there are two common PS/2 pinouts:
Seems your board have the first one. Try to find GND with multimeter.
Also, PS/2 connector (female):

About COM. The newer pinout is:
But very possibly you have older one:
1 6
2 7
3 8
4 9
5 10

Also, try multimeter. If you have the older one, then you should resolder the connector (pucture 2).
Pwned wrote:The DIN port is for a keyboard, and you can connect a PS/2 keyboard to it (through an adapter, though). I don't think this mobo supports PS/2 mice.
That adapter is easy to make - http://pinouts.ru/InputCables/MiniDinTo ... nout.shtml
Long Live Windows XP!

kinokijuf

Post by kinokijuf »

Are you sure the board is AT? It has what looks like an ATX connector to me.

Coppermine
Donator

Post by Coppermine »

kinokijuf wrote:Are you sure the board is AT? It has what looks like an ATX connector to me.
It supports both connectors. The left one is AT.

Well, your motherboard has a different pinout of PS/2 - Image
So you have to reallocate pins of wire.

Also, USB pinout: Image
The most used one:

The manual:
http://www.ace-repair.com/drivers/Mainb ... 591PEN.ZIP
Long Live Windows XP!

Windows2000guy

Post by Windows2000guy »

thanks for the manual link! I couldn't find it after days of searching, and you found it in a couple of hours! :P

I do have a DIN Keyboard, and an adapter, but thanks for the info anyway.
It does support a PS/2 mouse, I circled the header in my picture if you look there.

and I don't have the connectors made yet, so my pinout wires will be custom from old ribbon cables. I do have the serial 9 pin connector, I just need to find a place to mount it.

as for the PS/2 port, I have no clue where I can mount it. The little ps/2 connector I have was de-soldered from a dead motherboard years ago, and for whatever reason I kept it. but it has no mounting points, so that is a problem.

I think the 25 pin serial header is compatible with 9 pin, but I'd like to find a 25 pin pinout just to be correct.
the USB headers are all standard, but I don't think I'll have a use for USB with this project.

thanks for the info so far guys! :)
The cake is a lie!

Coppermine
Donator

Post by Coppermine »

Windows2000guy wrote:I think the 25 pin serial header is compatible with 9 pin, but I'd like to find a 25 pin pinout just to be correct.
It is. Here is a scheme of 25pin-9pin adapter.
Long Live Windows XP!

Windows2000guy

Post by Windows2000guy »

thanks, now I'll have to make a connector, then find a way to mount it to the case! I thought they were compatible, it's just been too long since I've worked with these old machines. :P
The cake is a lie!

Windows2000guy

Post by Windows2000guy »

*BUMP*
I'm going to try to keep this thread for a little longer because I found an IR (infared) header on the board. I want to know what I need to make use of that :)

I have the other headers made, and they work! I need a way to mount them to the case, because they're just hanging out the back of the ATX computer case for now. I used a full tower ATX case so all of my expansion would be available, and I didn't have an old AT case that wasn't in bad shape or not rusted through the bottom, ;) I'm using an Nvidia TNT2 16 MB AGP 1.0 card in it, 16MBx2 = 32 MB of EDO RAM, 64MBx2 = 128 MB of PC-100 SD RAM for a total of 160MB of RAM, an AT power supply because I had one from a long time ago, a 24x CD-ROM drive, a 1.44 Floppy drive (I have way too many floppy drives) a Creative SoundBlaster 16 PCI, a 3Com Paralell Tasking I ethernet ISA card, and a Pentium 133 cpu. oh and a 6.22 GB hard disk with windows 98 SE installed.

so I'd like to know what I could do with the IR header.

pictures coming soon (or eventually, which ever comes first)
The cake is a lie!

dans34
Donator

Post by dans34 »

Windows2000guy wrote:*BUMP*
I'm going to try to keep this thread for a little longer because I found an IR (infared) header on the board. I want to know what I need to make use of that :)

so I'd like to know what I could do with the IR header.

pictures coming soon (or eventually, which ever comes first)
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article.php?id=86