I found that windows 98 beta book

Download requests and offers should be made in this forum.
Do not request a download if you have under 10 posts. You will be ignored.
Forum rules
Please read the following rules before posting a download request in this area:

1. Don't post a request if you have under 10 posts as stated in the rules. If you do anyway, it will be deleted without further notice.
2. Requests for anything against our rules will not be entertained and you will be warned.
3. Check that we don't already have the file on our FTP servers by using the database linked in the navigation.
louisw3

I found that windows 98 beta book

Post by louisw3 »

in the library... I imagine it is in the archive?

Anyways I did like that version it felt a hell of a lot more responsive than the released version... Or maybe it was me.
"Those who don't understand UNIX are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." – Henry Spencer

betaluva
Donator

Re: I found that windows 98 beta book

Post by betaluva »

what windows 98 beta book?
Never Fear,Captain Sweatpants is Here!
*http://osbetaworld.b1.jcink.com/*

louisw3

Post by louisw3 »

This one:

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows ... 1572317469

I think it was kind of interesting as it was the first 'real' open beta from microsoft, all you had to do was waltz into a bookstore and pay your $30 USD and you had your review kit and CD!
"Those who don't understand UNIX are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." – Henry Spencer

z180
Donator

Post by z180 »

3 of the NT 3.1 betas were also sold to anyone.
Stephen Elop….I curse you, that after your death your soul will be forever trapped in the sourcecode of Windows and one day Microsoft will fall because of that virus code!

The Distractor

Post by The Distractor »

What build did the CD contain ?

louisw3

Post by louisw3 »

The Distractor wrote:What build did the CD contain ?
I was thinking of another windows 98 book/cd set. this one just has IE4. :(

louisw3

Post by louisw3 »

z180 wrote:3 of the NT 3.1 betas were also sold to anyone.
but they were not sold retail.

soulman
Donator

Post by soulman »

Looks and sounds really interesting. I remember finding a Windows 95 Preview Programme booklet. Got halfway through scanning it when the HDD failed. Haven't bothered attempting to scan it in since, nor can I remember where I placed it :S

os2fan2
Donator

Post by os2fan2 »

I do recall seeing the book in the shops at the time. The last one i recall seeing is one for vista. Seems they use some awful methods to get their stuff out.

I also had seen the vista one, a sampler was included on the front of a magazine. I have a copy of that.

Daniel

Post by Daniel »

I have this book at home. Can dump the disc if someone is interested...

CaptainPeanut
Donator

Post by CaptainPeanut »

I'm interested.

The Distractor

Post by The Distractor »

depends on what build is included :P

DeFacto

Post by DeFacto »

nah, who cares what's the build, dump it anyway... :D

Daniel

Post by Daniel »

The disc does not contain any build, anyway, here it is:

Windows 98 Official Preview Kit, October 1997
File size: 136MB, MD5 checksum: 54747DE565B935CD207ACA9A1E485D89

Code: Select all

---------------------------------------------
- Microsoft Windows 98 Official Preview Kit -
-                                           -
- Microsoft Press, 1997                     -
---------------------------------------------

This CD contains a wide variety of useful information and applications. When you insert the CD into your CD-ROM drive, an initial Setup window will appear that will allow you to either install or view, as appropriate, each feature included on the CD. 

* Restarting the Initial Startup Page *
If the CD is already in your CD drive and you've shut down the setup, you can restart by running Setup.exe. Click the Run option on the Start menu. In the text box, type d:/demo32.exe and click OK (d being the drive letter for your CD-ROM drive).

* CD Setup Page Options *

New Information
---------------
This option opens a document named Update.doc in WordPad. The document contains information on features added to Windows 98 (or modified) since the initial writing of "Introducing Microsoft Windows 98".

Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0
-------------------------------
If you don’t already have the release version of Internet Explorer 4.0 installed, you can run the setup from the CD. You must have Internet Explorer 4.0 installed to run some of the other components contained on the CD. 

The initial startup screen will be shut down to allow this install to run. To restart the initial page, see "Restarting the Initial Startup Page" at the top of this document.

"Microsoft Windows 98 Official Preview Kit" Online
--------------------------------------------------
You can view the entire contents of Microsoft Windows 98 Official Preview Kit online. This uses the Internet Explorer 4 Help utility to show you an online version of the book that allows you to search the contents of the book. 

Selecting this option runs a setup program that will check to see if you have Internet Explorer 4 installed on your PC. If you don't, you will be prompted to install it. (You must have Internet Explorer 4 installed to run this application.) After you install Internet Explorer 4 (or if you already have Internet Explorer 4 installed) the online book will start.

The setup program will also place a shortcut to the online book on your desktop, but you must have the CD in your CD-ROM drive for it to run.

Discover Windows 98
-------------------
This application allows you to explore features and uses of Microsoft Windows 98. It’s composed of two sections: Windows Overview and More Windows 98 Resources. 

Windows Overview: This section provides you with lessons that will walk you through some of the features of Windows 98. 

More Windows 98 Resources: This section provides you with links to useful Web sites. These Web sites provide additional information on Windows 98 as well as information on other Microsoft Press products that support Windows 98.

You must have Internet Explorer 4 installed to run this application. If you don't have Internet Explorer 4 installed, the application will give you an informational message and then end.

The initial startup screen will be shut down to allow this install to run. To restart the initial page, see "Restarting the Initial Startup Page" at the top of this document.

Microsoft Windows 98 Starts Here, Trial Version
-----------------------------------------------
This feature is a sampling of multimedia lessons from Windows 98 Starts Here, the official multimedia training companion for Windows 98. 

NOTE: Microsoft Windows 98 Starts Here, Trial Version, contains files with long filenames (longer than eight characters). If you have trouble installing and/or running this application, you probably have older CD-ROM drivers that can’t read these files. Contact your CD-ROM drive manufacturer to receive updated drivers that will allow you to run this application, or look for the appropriate drivers at http://www.windows95.com.

You must have Internet Explorer 4 installed to run this application. If you do not have Internet Explorer 4 installed, you will be prompted to install it.

The Microsoft Network (MSN)
---------------------------
Install MSN and get connected to the Internet.

* CD Directory Contents *

The following is the directory structure of the CD and the main executable files and documents under each:

root
----
Demo32.exe - runs the initial startup program for the CD
Readme.txt - this file

Book
----
Setup.exe - run a setup program that will check for Internet Explorer 4, and if it's not found will prompt you to install it. Setup also opens the book once Internet Explorer is installed, and places a shortcut icon on your desktop.

Win98pk.chm - the online book

Book\icon
---------
Win98.ico - the icon for the desktop shortcut to the online book

IE40
----
ie4setup.exe - installs Internet Explorer 4

Memshtv
-------
Setup.exe - the setup program for Windows 98 Starts Here, Trial Version

Memshtv\content
---------------
Files used by Windows 98 Starts Here, Trial Version

Memshtv\setup
-------------
autorun.exe - checks for an install of Internet Explorer 4, then runs the Setup for Windows 98 Starts Here, Trial Version and starts the application

MemSHTV.exe - runs Windows 98 Starts Here, Trial Version

MSN
---
Setup.exe - run the setup for the MSN software

Updates
-------
Update.doc - document viewable in WordPad or Word 6 and later. Contains updated information since the original writing of the book.

W98Tour\Tour
------------
Discover.exe - runs the Discover Windows 98 application

* System Requirements *

Some of the applications mentioned above have specific system requirements you must meet to run the applications.

Internet Explorer 4.0 (for Windows 95 and Windows NT 4.0)
- Windows 95 or Windows NT 4.0
- Minimum 14 MB of hard-disk space

Windows 98 Starts Here, Trial Version
- Microsoft Windows 95 (will not run on Windows NT)
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0 (available on this CD)
- Multimedia PC with a 75-MHz Pentium or higher processor
- 16 MB of RAM
- 6 MB of available hard-disk space
- Double-speed CD-ROM drive
- Super VGA display with 256 colors or better
- Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device
- Windows-compatible sound board required for audio
- Headphones or speakers required for audio

Discover
- Windows 95 (will not run on Windows NT)
- Internet Explorer 4.0 (available on this CD)

Online Book
- Internet Explorer 4.0 (available on this CD)
- The directory that contains either WordPad or Write must be in your path

MSN
- Windows 95 or later (does not run on Windows NT)
- 486/66 or higher processor
- 14.4 Kbps modem or higher
- 16MB of RAM
- 70MB available hard disk space (see disk space requirements below)
- CD-ROM drive (2x or higher)
- VGA or higher resolution graphics card
- Sound card recommended
- Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device
- Disk space requirements:
  - Internet Explorer 4.0  45 MB (requires full installation)
  - MSN                    20 MB
  - MSN Setup               5 MB

* Support Issues *

Interactive Applications
------------------------
The interactive applications on this CD, Discover and Windows 98 Starts Here, Trial Version, are beta releases of upcoming products. All bugs related to these products should be reported to mpibeta@microsoft.com.

MSN
---
For support help with the Microsoft Network (MSN), call Technical Support at (425)635-7019 (English) or (425)635-7020 (French) in the U.S. or Canada.

Comments and concerns about the book or the CD
----------------------------------------------
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of this book and the contents of the companion disc. You can find updated information for this book on the World Wide Web at:
	http://mspress.microsoft.com/mspress/products/1428

For general information or information on other books published by Microsoft Press, go to the following address:
	http://mspress.microsoft.com/mspress/support/

If you have comments, questions, or ideas regarding this book or the companion disc, please send e-mail to Microsoft Press at:

MSPINPUT@MICROSOFT.COM

or postal mail to:

Microsoft Press
    Attn:  Microsoft Windows 98 Official Preview Kit Editor
    One Microsoft Way
    Redmond, WA  98052-6399

Please note that product support is not offered through the above mail addresses.

DeFacto

Post by DeFacto »

Have you uploaded it to the FTP yet?

clt_42

Post by clt_42 »

Thats crazy! Neat, I had a Win95 beta book, given by my uncle who previously was a contractor for MS.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

R.I.P EX OSBA Title :(

DeFacto

Post by DeFacto »

Maybe he also has builds? :D

The Distractor

Post by The Distractor »

DeFacto: a certain tech journalist has the entire contents of the Windows 95 preview program, when he mentioned this in an article he even correctly said that all the discs were different colours. I emailed him about leaking, he refused, giving the usual NDA reason - which I was expecting really.

Ahmed Jebara
Donator

Post by Ahmed Jebara »

@Daniel: Your link doesn't work, it gives "Timeout"
%1

DeFacto

Post by DeFacto »

Because Area13 is down ATM...

RanCorX2

Post by RanCorX2 »

i have a copy of the windows 98 resource kit book, the beta release, contains a sealed windows 98 beta 3 disc.

SuriPolomareFan2003

Post by SuriPolomareFan2003 »

RanCorX2 wrote:i have a copy of the windows 98 resource kit book, the beta release, contains a sealed windows 98 beta 3 disc.
Can you make a ISO of it?

DiskingRound

Post by DiskingRound »

I wonder what disc that is. Is it the quarter flag? Or is it that other disc that is just a preview of some things? What is it?