Phone software: bloatware?

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
Archive Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
Archive Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
pr0gram the pr0grammer
Donator

Phone software: bloatware?

Post by pr0gram the pr0grammer »

Is it me, or is every single piece of software that deals with polyphonic ringtones completely and uselessly bloated, and badly written??

I've had to install the Nokia PC Suite 6.8 to connect to my phone, and it's a horrible bloated PoS that sometimes works ... after installing it, I realised it wouldn't be able to convert this MIDI file I have here into an SP-MIDI file for use as a polyphonic ringtone, so I had to uninstall it, and install version 5.8, which is two years older but still as big and bloated. I converted the file, then proceeded to connect the phone, but of course 5.8 is too old for it. I reinstall 6.8 and then something corrupts, so 6.8 no longer sees the phone. After lots of reinstalls and repair installs, and poking around deleting bits of software from all over the system (the uninstaller is crap!) ... finally I get 6.8 to see the phone. Then realise that the ringtone I converted ... somehow corrupted. Grah!

So I'm looking at software to convert a MIDI file to an SP-MIDI file suitable for use as a polyphonic ringtone. However, it seems that *every* piece of software that promises MIDI to SP-MIDI has a big purplish UI, is share/nag/spyware, and is a large bloated file. Why?! What is this world coming to?! There don't seem to be any nice open-source apps, or lightweight command line apps to do these kinds of conversion... it's all big fat ugly crapware apps.

...Sorry, I had to vent my frustration somewhere However, if anyone does happen to know of, say, a lightweight MIDI to SP-MIDI converter, that would be greatly appreciated

EDIT: And on an unrelated note, http://arcadetones.emuunlim.com/poly.htm has sweet polyphonic ringtones of retro game music (already in SP-MIDI format )
pr0gram the pr0grammer
BetaArchive retiree | OSBA Expat

___
Donator

Post by ___ »

omg i know how you feel! although my phone is rather old, it still allows midi's. but some work and some don't, really anoying