Why my laser mouse (wired) keeps freezing every 2-5 seconds

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
Archive Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
Archive Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
TomKTW

Why my laser mouse (wired) keeps freezing every 2-5 seconds

Post by TomKTW »

For those who don't know, I'm using Windows XP SP3 Professional, and my mouse (Genius NetScroll G500, USB) keeps freezing every 2-5 seconds, until it "dies" (I can't move it or anything, it's like turned off). Sometimes it works normally, sometimes doesn't. I really don't know what it causes to keep freezing. This problem doesn't seem to occur in Linux for now and when Windows is in Safe Mode. I'm downloading new updates, but I'm not expecting any kind of positive results, so please do not answer with driver updating. Could you please tell me what to do to fix it properly? Note that mouse is brand-new, bought today.

FoobyZeeky
Donator

Re: Why my laser mouse (wired) keeps freezing every 2-5 seco

Post by FoobyZeeky »

TomKTW wrote:For those who don't know, I'm using Windows XP SP3 Professional, and my mouse (Genius NetScroll G500, USB) keeps freezing every 2-5 seconds, until it "dies" (I can't move it or anything, it's like turned off). Sometimes it works normally, sometimes doesn't. I really don't know what it causes to keep freezing. This problem doesn't seem to occur in Linux for now and when Windows is in Safe Mode. I'm downloading new updates, but I'm not expecting any kind of positive results, so please do not answer with driver updating. Could you please tell me what to do to fix it properly? Note that mouse is brand-new, bought today.
Could be a faulty connection inside the mouse. If you bought it today, try to see if you can get it replaced. I was going to suggest replacing the batteries, then I noticed you said it was wired...
sup

Whistler_fan
Donator

Post by Whistler_fan »

Have you installed any specific Genius NetScroll G500 drivers or just let windows install the universal one ?

FoobyZeeky
Donator

Post by FoobyZeeky »

Whistler_fan wrote:Have you installed any specific Genius NetScroll G500 drivers or just let windows install the universal one ?
Did you not read his post? He said not to suggest driver updates.
sup

Whistler_fan
Donator

Post by Whistler_fan »

FoobyZeeky wrote:
Whistler_fan wrote:Have you installed any specific Genius NetScroll G500 drivers or just let windows install the universal one ?
Did you not read his post? He said not to suggest driver updates.
Yep i read it, i'm not suggesting it, only asking if the universal is installed or not.
It's part of information acquisition, so a solution or a suggestion of any kind can be made.

FoobyZeeky
Donator

Post by FoobyZeeky »

In that case, according to this, the mouse came with a CD containing drivers for XP, Vista and 7. I'm assuming you used that CD, but use it if you didn't.
sup

kinikibu

Post by kinikibu »

Well, assuming the updates don't do anything, I would say that the mouse is probably bad. The only other possible scenarios are that possibly when you run Windows in Safe Mode an alternative universal driver is loaded and thus the mouse works better. This would be a very odd situation as more than likely the mouse wouldn't do so well in reviews because you can't be the only one running XP Sp3. Erratic behavior with any piece of technology tends to fall into the category of bad hardware so indeed if updating doesn't work I would suggest trying to replace it with a different mouse. Best of Luck ^^

TomKTW

Post by TomKTW »

I've done update, seems okay... But I don't think it's going to stay for long that way...

EDIT: And it didn't. Worse thing is that it seems that it fails in Safe mode too...

FoobyZeeky
Donator

Post by FoobyZeeky »

TomKTW wrote:I've done update, seems okay... But I don't think it's going to stay for long that way...

EDIT: And it didn't. Worse thing is that it seems that it fails in Safe mode too...
Most likely a hardware problem, then. Can you get it replaced?
sup