Make a Mac OS 9.2 bootable CD

Discuss System 1 to System 7, OS 8, OS 9.
Arths

Make a Mac OS 9.2 bootable CD

Post by Arths »

Hey guys,

I would like to install Mac OS 9 on my iMac G3 because I find Panther really slow even with 320mb of RAM.
I downloaded the iMac G3 OS 9.2 image from the FTP and burnt it with ImgBurn, my iMac doesn't want to boot from the CD.
Any help?

-- Arths

DBlake
Donator
Location: Two lefts and a diagonal sidestep from where you are.

Re: Make a Mac OS 9.2 bootable CD

Post by DBlake »

Are you certain that it supports burned CDs?

Arths

Post by Arths »

DBlake wrote:Are you certain that it supports burned CDs?
Yep it does, used to install Panther from burned CDs.
Mhm trying to burn iso with TransMac, it might work.
-- Arths

DBlake
Donator

Post by DBlake »

Most likely it didn't work because OS9 uses an older filesystem, which IMGBURN didn't recognize.

Arths

Post by Arths »

DBlake wrote:Most likely it didn't work because OS9 uses an older filesystem, which IMGBURN didn't recognize.
Sure, so what burning software should I use? Plus I'm on Windows :?
Hey cool nevermind the image was not bootable so burned a OS 9.0.4 disc and it works :D
-- Arths

DBlake
Donator

Post by DBlake »

Awesome.
Offtopic Comment
I got my PowerMac G4 "Sawtooth" with OS 9.2.2. It supported 1440x900 on my 19" monitor. :D

finkmacunix

Post by finkmacunix »

The iMac G3 9.2 CD is for another model… With a different machine ID (something like imac1,1) stored on the system file… Sorta like trying to use a MacBook install DVD in an iMac…
"I not have a time to spend for make fake, and more important thing, this pics are not my."

Pointless. Locked. -linuxlove

Pointless. -James

"If only Windows 8 was as revolutionary as Vista."-hounsell

FoobyZeeky
Donator

Post by FoobyZeeky »

I had problems like this with my iMac G3 (Mac OS 8.6 was messed up), and I still haven't been bothered to resolve them. I downloaded Mac OS 9.2.2 for iMac G3 from the FTP a while ago, burned it with ImgBurn on Windows 7, and it wouldn't boot. Looks like I'll use this topic and when I get round to it, I'll burn a 9.0.4 disc next time!

EDIT: From the posts here, I'm not sure I understood entirely: You did use ImgBurn to burn Mac OS 9.0.4, which then successfully booted on the G3, right? 'Cause I thought my problems were with ImgBurn, to start with.
sup

Arths

Post by Arths »

DBlake wrote:Awesome.
Offtopic Comment
I got my PowerMac G4 "Sawtooth" with OS 9.2.2. It supported 1440x900 on my 19" monitor. :D
Nice, you lucky :cool:
finkmacunix wrote:The iMac G3 9.2 CD is for another model… With a different machine ID (something like imac1,1) stored on the system file… Sorta like trying to use a MacBook install DVD in an iMac…
Thanks for the information :)
FoobyZeeky wrote:I had problems like this with my iMac G3 (Mac OS 8.6 was messed up), and I still haven't been bothered to resolve them. I downloaded Mac OS 9.2.2 for iMac G3 from the FTP a while ago, burned it with ImgBurn on Windows 7, and it wouldn't boot. Looks like I'll use this topic and when I get round to it, I'll burn a 9.0.4 disc next time!

EDIT: From the posts here, I'm not sure I understood entirely: You did use ImgBurn to burn Mac OS 9.0.4, which then successfully booted on the G3, right? 'Cause I thought my problems were with ImgBurn, to start with.
I used TransMac to burn Mac OS 9.0.4, In options -> General options I checked burn using alternate method not primary. Works fine :)
Hope it'll work for you ;)
-- Arths

FoobyZeeky
Donator

Post by FoobyZeeky »

Arths wrote:
DBlake wrote:I used TransMac to burn Mac OS 9.0.4, In options -> General options I checked burn using alternate method not primary. Works fine :)
Thanks for the advice, I'd never heard of TransMac before! I'll probably pirate it, lulz.
sup

Arths

Post by Arths »

FoobyZeeky wrote:
Arths wrote:
DBlake wrote:I used TransMac to burn Mac OS 9.0.4, In options -> General options I checked burn using alternate method not primary. Works fine :)
Thanks for the advice, I'd never heard of TransMac before! I'll probably pirate it, lulz.
No problem, was a pleasure :D
-- Arths

z180
Donator

Post by z180 »

The G4 DA firmware is not updatable from OS X even if the board is almost the same as in the Quicksilver and can run all that models CPUs.
I swapped a classic 9.2.2 drive from a Yosemity in and flashed from there.
Stephen Elop….I curse you, that after your death your soul will be forever trapped in the sourcecode of Windows and one day Microsoft will fall because of that virus code!

gerry555adam

Post by gerry555adam »

If you want, I'll send you my original OS 9 install CD, which you can install. The download the updater to OS 9.2.2 from the Apple website, http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1387 and send my CD back. Just let me know your email address.