Windows 8 M builds more unstable than Windows 7 M Builds?

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
Zack

Windows 8 M builds more unstable than Windows 7 M Builds?

Post by Zack »

Has anyone else found that generally the Windows 8 Milestone builds are more unstable than the Windows 7 ones? I didn't have any particular issues with 7850, but 7955/7959 are quite unstable at times...I don't know personally about newer builds, but I've heard reports that even the 798x builds are very buggy...

Generally I found Windows 7 was way more stable during alpha and beta, but maybe its because they weren't adding as much into the builds as they are to Windows 8. I get the feeling that the main coding was the superbar in Windows 7, and everything else were just cosmetic touch ups to Vista...Windows 8 on the other hand has tons of new features, so maybe this is why it is more unstable?

Anyway, what are your experiences in comparison to Windows 7 and have you found it more or less unstable?

Taylorover9000
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Earth, Universe

Re: Windows 8 M builds more unstable than Windows 7 M Builds

Post by Taylorover9000 »

I dont have many if any problems with M3 Build 7955 ON my computer.
Offtopic Comment
I love aero lite!
6.1.7850 - September 22, 2010
6.2.7927 - Febuary 14, 2011
6.2.7955 - Febuary 28, 2011
6.2.7959 - March 7, 2011
6.2.7989 - April 21, 2011
6.2.8102 - August 30, 2011
Beta Escrow? 6.2.81xx - 12?/DD/2011
Beta 6.2.8xxx - MM/DD/2012?
RC 6.2.8xxx - MM/DD/2012
Final 6.2.8??? - MM/DD/201?

Tourniquet

Post by Tourniquet »

Yeah i think you're right.

I'm also under the impression that the M2 and generally the Windows 8 builds which are leaked are more unstable than the Windows 7 ones. But i think this is exactly why Windows 8 does need a little more time to develop than Windows 7 did. I'm also convinced that the Beta will be as Stable as the Windows 7 was before.

giantsteen
Donator

Post by giantsteen »

Yes, some new features of Windows 8 (like the playing icons) are kind of glitchy and need work. They have frozen on one of my other computers (which I just sold!) but other than that I don't get BSODs and its response time is so much faster than before. I love AERO and how it is software implemented; less work for the GPU! It's gonna be SO much better than Windows 7. And you thought 7 was amazing!

Derf
Donator

Post by Derf »

giantsteen wrote:Yes, some new features of Windows 8 (like the playing icons) are kind of glitchy and need work. They have frozen on one of my other computers (which I just sold!) but other than that I don't get BSODs and its response time is so much faster than before. I love AERO and how it is software implemented; less work for the GPU! It's gonna be SO much better than Windows 7. And you thought 7 was amazing!
Erm, isn't Aero just software rendered if you don't have LDDM drivers installed, and then all it does is massively slows down your computer?

leomate

Post by leomate »

I use windows 8 7955 and still working good. Nothing got problems ;)
Maybe you doesnt install VGA drivers.

zinamo
Donator

Post by zinamo »

As I don't have much time I didn only little testing on Win8, anyway, for the stability problem that users report, I think (as Zack said) that is due to the greater innovations thst win8 include... new features, means more code and more complexity => more possible problems :-)

Zack

Post by Zack »

giantsteen wrote:Yes, some new features of Windows 8 (like the playing icons) are kind of glitchy and need work. They have frozen on one of my other computers (which I just sold!) but other than that I don't get BSODs and its response time is so much faster than before. I love AERO and how it is software implemented; less work for the GPU! It's gonna be SO much better than Windows 7. And you thought 7 was amazing!
I have realized too that 8 is way faster and more efficient than 7. It actually extends my netbook battery life because it uses less ram when running...I think they must have made loads of improvements to the kernel...perhaps that is the reason why they didn't add it to earlier milestone builds i.e 6.1.7850....

In general things are a little more unstable though...

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

Yes they are, probably because 7 was such a minor update stretched out over such a long period, whereas 8 actually brings a number of interesting changes.

jinprairie

Post by jinprairie »

Strange, the only time I got a massive error/BSOD was when I attempted to unmount an ISO from D:
Other than that, I personally surprised by the speed of this release. Coming from a hardcore Linux user's mouth, that is something.

Raiker

Post by Raiker »

Haven't noticed any stability problems due 7955 testing. And the performance is obviously greater than in win7.
Quod licet Jovi, non licet bovi

chasedaron

Post by chasedaron »

I am currently running Windows 8 Build 7955 on my clunky old Dell 2400 with very basic specs. I do this so that I can figure out how bare bones I can take system. This by far is the strongest build I have ran in years. Windows 2000 was my favorite, I could run it on a pancake. However, Windows 8 Beta preforms its functions seamlessly. It recognized even my analog, ten year old devices attached to said computer. I didn't even have to screw around on waiting for drivers for my two printers, zune, iPod, etc, etc... Its the first time I haven't had to fiddle with the Zune and play the 'lets see if Microsoft will support their own devices", game. It just works, they took Vista and created a Foundation. They made the Zune to get more popular and media oriented which taught Microsoft a valuable lesson. Clean, Sharp, and Fresh is how true tech users want to be. They accidentally created the phenomenon of the "Metro UI." Next Microsoft went and got their game on. They created XBOX Live and 360. The marriage of the Zune and XBOX 360 brought the next deal. This birthed the intuitive phone with innovative, yet practical features The Windows Phone 7, which is selling stronger everyday. Now Microsoft will start peeling away certain petals that ultimately created this inside inner flower of Windows 8. This will keep a lot of people busy for a looooong time. Why not have a tablet, laptop, and PC with all the same easy to understand system? Then go a step further and sync them all instantly with Windows SkyDrive. Then you can link that to your facebook that can 'plop' right next to anything. I always want to access my media from my computer at home, but it can be slow and I primarily use a notebook at my home. I don't use it at work, they have one for me. So I have to get some halfass system that is 'streaming' it. Windows 8 will be beautiful. Everytime I look at my hard drive indicator I want to smile. Have you heard of Virt App Store Q: This my friends is the default partition for your sky drive spring board, way cool. I can see and save apps, just to pretty rad. I can't wait to get a later build that I can really dev into. The possibilities will be almost limitless. Finally Microsoft is worth being proud to call my friend for 20 years. Almost done here.

Peterbjornx

Post by Peterbjornx »

Windows 8 6.2.7955 is more stable than 7 for me, i'm using it as my main OS and the only problem i have is that explorer crashes every couple of hours, havent had a single BSOD since i installed it and my pc is on 24/7.

bailey0799

Post by bailey0799 »

If your running windows 8 M3 or windows server 8 you get a new death screen!

SatoMew

Post by SatoMew »

It also has to do with 7955 and later builds using the revised NT 6.0 kernel, as indicated by winver.exe (Windows 8 is NT 6.2). Since the changes are still being developed and tested, it is expected for problems related to the stability of the OS to arise

costello

Post by costello »

well i guess because the OS is not even close to RTM....and it will be released late in 2012..

ViperMatrixXM

Post by ViperMatrixXM »

Well I think Windows 7 was worse. Remember all the driver issues that occurred? Like Wi-Fi not working properly. This project will also run longer than usual. But as of 7989 I haven't had as many problems.

Ciastex

Post by Ciastex »

The Windows 8 M3 is more STABLE than any build that leaked outside of the Microsoft matrix. I can do anything on Windows 8 that i did on Windows 7. W8 M3 is bootin' faster than any build(blah blah)... They has probably done some fixes to memory management and kernel and maybe loader(?).
--

j0n4th4nw

Post by j0n4th4nw »

I'm finding the windows 8 builds just as stable as the windows 7 milestones.