"Competing" sites

Information and news about the website will be posted here.
Andy
Administrator

"Competing" sites

Post by Andy »

Recently too many people have been throwing around false accusations of many kinds. Most of these happen after an attack such as the DDoS we suffered yesterday. Lets just make this clear - we are not in competition with other beta sites and we never will be. The most frequently mentioned of these is WinWorld.

To those of you out there who claim that WinWorld are attacking BA, I suggest you get your facts right. WinWorld have their own problems to contend with. BA is not the only beta site to suffer DDoS attacks and the likes and the last thing WinWorld would want to do is utilise their precious resources to attack us or others.

Myself and an admin of WinWorld (Ka0s) have discussed this issue and both of us agreed that we're not competitors. Only the users consider this, and in many cases they are mis-informed. Both sides consistently blame eachother for theft of files from each site, but just remember that neither site owns said files in the first place.

The aim of BA and WinWorld is common - collect and preserve betas / abandonware. Whether we do that separately or together the goal will not change. Play nice people. Remember, most of you get both of these sites for free (except those able to donate).

WW's post on this: http://winboards.net/viewtopic.php?t=5623

joeastor

Re: "Competing" sites

Post by joeastor »

You already do a nice job in creating a wonderful community Andy!

Thank you.
Windows Longhorn is by far the most amazing piece of software developed by Microsoft. Everything else is just a junk.

TomKTW

Post by TomKTW »

At least proper answer, already got annoyed by people thinking they steal stuff. Do you think you might just to take a note at that in rules thread?

kingof69ng
Donator

Post by kingof69ng »

Very nice Andy, Communities such as this should come together and enjoy the collecting and sharing. Animosity will only lead to self destruction.
Image Well, at least I still am at heart.

jaidev66

Post by jaidev66 »

both sites got their own style both should not be compared.
jaidev66

Nekronata

Post by Nekronata »

Very nice spoken. Also it's sometimes amusing to read who wants to get the main blame for doing something technical illegal ;) (So if they would be smart, they would blame the other Sites for leaking in the first place - considering MS would / could act like Apple on Leaks)

ThePro

Post by ThePro »

BA and WinWorld are 2 wonderful communities, both are nice and both have administrators that aren't stupid enough to DDoS each other.

For a second I thought you were going to say ''WinWorld DDOSED US OH NOES''
Image < HAI.

Rioter
Donator

Post by Rioter »

ThePro wrote: For a second I thought you were going to say ''WinWorld DDOSED US OH NOES''
This is what the 'kiddes' who just assume automatically think.

TechDudeGeorge
Donator

Post by TechDudeGeorge »

Both nice sites, have yet to visit Winworld yet but I guess it's nice. I think it's just the people who have nothing better to do who decide to DDoS the site. I'll happily donate when I get some money :)
Current Windows 8 Leaks: 7850 / 7929 / 7955 / 7959 (x64) / 7989 (x64)
Current Windows 8 Releases: Windows Developer Preview - 8102 (M3) , Windows 8 Consumer Preview - 8250, Windows 8 Release Preview - 8400
Future Release: Windows 8

ThePro

Post by ThePro »

Rioter wrote:
ThePro wrote: For a second I thought you were going to say ''WinWorld DDOSED US OH NOES''
This is what the 'kiddes' who just assume automatically think.
And it seems I'm way to used to seeing kiddies

I actually didn't think WinWorld ddosed.
Image < HAI.

Derf
Donator

Post by Derf »

While I don't think WinWorld did the ddos'ing, I don't think things are as friendly as you'd make them seem between the two sites. I've seen staff of both sites speaking pretty poorly about the other site in recent days over IRC.
Just my two and a half cents.

ThePro

Post by ThePro »

But those are the users that are talking bad, not the admins afaik
Image < HAI.

Rioter
Donator

Post by Rioter »

Derf wrote:While I don't think WinWorld did the ddos'ing, I don't think things are as friendly as you'd make them seem between the two sites. I've seen staff of both sites speaking pretty poorly about the other site in recent days over IRC.
Just my two and a half cents.
The past is the past, before the voice of reason came out.
Offtopic Comment
Notice how I've stayed silent on the matter 8-)

happy dude
Donator

Post by happy dude »

At least theres a "semi official" post about it. WW was around before BA and neither site has been a competitor to each other. Only over dramatic people who say x site stole this file from y .. last time I checked neither owned the files

The two sites are different in some ways too - compare the moderation styles on BA vs WW - there is pretty much no moderation on WinWorld, by choice

Cyberwizard2k11

Post by Cyberwizard2k11 »

what do you mean by "semi official" post? just wondering.

[edit] It's kinda weird that there is such rivalry between two website that have similar goals...

happy dude
Donator

Post by happy dude »

Cyberwizard2k11 wrote:what do you mean by "semi official" post? just wondering.
Someone's come out and said something about it

QuiescentWonder
Donator

Post by QuiescentWonder »

Perhaps one of those points that needs to be driven in a bit more is that you can't really have something stolen that you don't own to begin with. It seems that there are quite a few people that don't understand this.