Microsoft "Longhorn" Server Beta 3 is here!

New news and release discussion.
Vista Ultimate R2

Microsoft "Longhorn" Server Beta 3 is here!

Post by Vista Ultimate R2 »

"Longhorn" Server Beta 3 is now available as a public download!

Get Beta 3

Registration with a Passport account required, Product Keys supplied following registration. There are direct links to the some of the downloads available here, though you need to register to get a Key (not all of the official links on the registration pages seem to be working yet so you may need the direct links, but it should be all sorted soon).

Build appears to be wsl_6001.16510.070417-1740, and x86 and x64 editions of Standard, Enterprise, Web Server and Datacentre are available in English, German and Japanese, as well as an Itanium edition.

XDude
Donator

Post by XDude »

What do we know, its build 6001!
Congrats, everyone should have guess the build correctly
I'm looking forward to this build

psiren

Post by psiren »

Just downloading the datacenter edition now. Can't wait to get it installed! Crap timing though - I'm trying to twist work into getting a subscription to Technet Plus for this purpose!

pr0gram the pr0grammer
Donator

Post by pr0gram the pr0grammer »

Linkage!
Windows Server “Longhorn” Standard Edition
English URL: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en
German URL: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=de
Japanese URL: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=ja

Windows Server “Longhorn” Enterprise Edition

Windows Server “Longhorn” Datacenter Edition

Windows Web Server “Longhorn”

Windows Server “Longhorn” for Itanium-based Systems

Let's mirror them while they're available, as beta collectors we might be looking for these builds in three years time.
pr0gram the pr0grammer
BetaArchive retiree | OSBA Expat

tristan
Donator

Post by tristan »

installing now, hope it's stable

Luckie
Donator

Post by Luckie »

tristan wrote:installing now, hope it's stable
and hopefully the bugs from the April CTP are fixed
"Theory is when you know something, but it doesn't work. Practice is when something works, but you don't know why. Programmers combine theory and practice: Nothing works and they don't know why."

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

Seems that for each architecture, there are again two images offered for download, one for the Web Server, and one for Standard, Enterprise and DataCenter combined.

Downloading the combined image now, at ~10KB/s...

Vista Ultimate R2

empireum wrote:Downloading the combined image now, at ~10KB/s...
Are you on dial-up or something? I just started downloading it and I'm getting it at between 4 and 7 MB per second, the entire thing's only going to take about 10 minutes

Edit: It seems to have slowed down now, having downloaded the first half of the x86 image really quickly - guess I won't be trying my first LH Server as soon as I hoped!
Last edited by Vista Ultimate R2 on Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

I'm on 1M ADSL. But I have a torrent running in the background, maybe this is the reason. Anyway, it's no biggie for me, I can wait.

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
empireum wrote:Downloading the combined image now, at ~10KB/s...
Are you on dial-up or something? I just started downloading it and I'm getting it at between 4 and 7 MB per second, the entire thing's only going to take about 10 minutes

snip

Edit: It seems to have slowed down now, having downloaded the first half of the x86 image really quickly - guess I won't be trying my first LH Server as soon as I hoped!
OMG what connection is that on?!!

Vista Ultimate R2

Just the one in my room at uni It is a good connection, I remember downloading some of the Vista CPP builds in about 20 minutes We're only allowed 15 GB of bandwidth per month though, and aren't supposed to use P2P (other sorts of warez are OK though - someone has made a search engine to find warez *cough* fully legal files shared on the internal network too) It's gone slow around the halfway point though, there must be an issue at MS/Akamai's end as everything's still fast here

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:Just the one in my room at uni It is a good connection, I remember downloading some of the Vista CPP builds in about 20 minutes We're only allowed 15 GB of bandwidth per month though, and aren't supposed to use P2P (other sorts of warez are OK though - someone has made a search engine to find warez *cough* fully legal files shared on the internal network too) It's gone slow around the halfway point though, there must be an issue at MS/Akamai's end as everything's still fast here
Nice. So whats the connection speed? Do you know? Also, why 15GB? Seems a bit harsh with such speeds available.

Vista Ultimate R2

Andy wrote:Nice. So whats the connection speed? Do you know? Also, why 15GB? Seems a bit harsh with such speeds available.
I guess they think we don't need more than 15 GB for, umm, legitimate purposes. Offering more at such high speeds would just be an open invitation to download tons of warez, no? I think if it was unlimited they would get as few people just downloading extremely large quantities of warez. (You don't really need to any way, given that there's extremely large quantities of warez shared on the network and if they know about it, they don't seem to care)

I'm not sure what the connection speed is - if tested on Speedtest.net it's usually between 10 and 20 MB/s download and 10 MB/s upload, but I don't know how accurate those things are. When we got shown around the server room for the whole uni I think they said their entire connection to the internet is 10 gigabits, but that quite a lot of that is reserved for transferring crazy amounts of data around the place, I think it was for CERN stuff or something.

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

Well 6MB/sec would indicate about 60Mbps of bandwidth, correct?

Well they could offer more bandwidth but reduce the speed to say 4Mbps maximum. Then people wouldnt have to watch how much they download but they just have to wait longer.

What happens if you go over your quota?

Vista Ultimate R2

Andy wrote:Well 6MB/sec would indicate about 60Mbps of bandwidth, correct?

Well they could offer more bandwidth but reduce the speed to say 4Mbps maximum. Then people wouldnt have to watch how much they download but they just have to wait longer.

What happens if you go over your quota?
The speeds I'm getting won't reflect the total bandwidth available though of course, as there'll be lots of other people using it at the same time. I think the main purpose of the connection for us is just web browsing/email etc, so high speed/lower quota is the optimum for that, as opposed to very large files in which case a higher quota would be needed. There's not really any reason why anyone needs very large files apart from warez (and testing Longhorn ) so I suppose that's why they have it optimised for web browsing.

I have never exceeded the limit, but checking the policy it says that if it happens you receive an email telling you, and you are allocated a further 1 GB for the rest of the month. If you then exceed the extra 1 GB within the month then you are disconnected for the rest of the month. It then says that if you exceed the monthly limit three times then you have to go and explain why and you might be disconnected for longer, but it's not clear whether that's the 15 GB limit or the extra 1 GB limit. I'm assuming it's the 1 GB limit as they would have to send you the warning email before they can disconnect you - you get no warnings that you're approaching the 15 GB.

Incidentally, there are actually catalogue terminals in the library that you don't have to log on to (ie they don't know who's using them) and have open connections to the internet and USB ports (my 500 GB hard drive would connect nicely to there...), so you could download as much warez as you want on the fast connection However, I assume they would notice large amounts of traffic to these machines after you'd done this for a while and find someone who understands Group Policy to go down there and sort it out At the moment they seem to think that making the library catalogue app full-screen and setting the taskbar to auto-hide is an effective security measure (hint: the Windows key comes in handy)...They have also restricted a few things eg removed "Run..." from the start menu in such a way that if you press Win+R you get a message saying the operation was cancelled, but left so much open that their efforts have achieved nothing!

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

Ah well. I could probably download lots at college through the same means, but we have to log on to be able to do anything. They have a 10/10 connection but it should be 4/4. Someone put them on the wrong port and its been like that since they can remember.

I actually found an online bandwidth graph for the connection on google when I was searching for the college postcode. Here it is: http://www.sunderland.ac.uk/mrtg/newmrt ... et.uk.html

Quite interesting to look at if you like graphs Notice how it starts at 8 and ends at 4, pretty much bang on

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

Well, my speed's slowly climbing now, I am at 22KB/s currently...

I should have downloaded it at school too, they have at least a 20 megabit/second connection as far as I know (at least these are the speeds I can usually get when downloading).

Seeing I won't be able to install that in the next days –school's keeping me way too busy–, can anybody post some screenshots and tell us a bit about apparent changes as soon as he/she's got it installed?

XDude
Donator

Post by XDude »

I don't know about you, but I was getting ~600KB/s yesterday on MS Connect
about 2 hours ago, they capped it at 100KB/s
I'm going to install it over the weekend

Vista Ultimate R2

empireum wrote:Seeing I won't be able to install that in the next days –school's keeping me way too busy–, can anybody post some screenshots and tell us a bit about apparent changes as soon as he/she's got it installed?
Bear in mind that I haven't used any LH Server builds before this one though so don't really know what the changes/bugfixes are. Just a few from me then:

Same boring boot screen as Vista - I thought the progress bar looked a slightly different colour to the one in Vista, but I'm not entirely sure.

Like Vista...but server-y!

I'm going to be testing the Datacentre edition (thought I might as well pick the "Ultimate" of the server world ) After entering the product key for your edition of Longhorn Server (like Vista, most of the editions come on the same disc) you are asked whether you want the full Server, or just the Server Core. Strangely enough, the 512 MB Ram limit is still enforced even for Server Core, while Server 2003 is a lot more than just a Core and will run nicely on a lot less than that!

Oh dear oh dear oh dear Microsoft...an issue as obvious as that one, in a public build? I also saw the green Vista "Aurora" background for a second after this, before the grey server-y once returned.

The first sighting of the Longhorn Server desktop Rather than having to complete an OOBE wizard and then sit around for ages while it does that "rating your system's performance" thing that Vista does, where you have to sit through the customary adverts for Windows (strange, considering you've already bought it by that stage) and it still gives you a 1.0 rating, you get to log on straight away and this wizard opens so you can configure the server. I guess I don't need a pretty wizard and a performance rating if I'm running a Datacentre Server, huh?

Service pack 1 eh? Looks like maybe they're developing Vista SP1 partly in combination with this? Also, isn't it strange that they licence it to "Windows User" rather than making you enter a name? PS you don't see a "genuine" Datacentre Server very often now, do you?

A slightly strange thing that noticed is that the "Rating" line is in System Properties, and when you first open it you see the text along the lines of "rating not available, click here to rate this PC", but only or a second and then that line becomes blank - it looks like they've taken the rating feature out (or possibly it comes with the Desktop Experience thing), but left it in that control panel.

What happens when you click the link in the "How to share feedback" app to download the beta client.

And then...ummmmm...we seem to have a problem...

By the way, I had a look in the Task Manager and I'm sure there's a lot fewer services running than on Vista - this looks quite nice! With the "Desktop Experience" I'm assuming LHS is effectively a superset of Vista - is there anything in Vista (Business edition) that is missing? A shame that MS have locked Windows down so much now that there won't be a reliable way of using this as a workstation, like you can with Server 2003.

The default configuration is great too - you get Administrator, so no UAC to have to turn off! No Security Centre to kill either, awesome! So much of the bloat of Vista just isn't here - System Restore, Windows Defender, Tablet PC (on Vista this runs all the time on all types of PC unless you turn it off!)? Not here! There's only 31 control panels by default too, which is better than the 50 or so of Vista I think - much more like XP is on a default install.

XDude
Donator

Post by XDude »

I installed it, it's pretty stable

Vista Ultimate R2

Just saw this, which suggests that Longhorn Server might be going to be called Windows Server 2007 when it is released. Running this Google search also brings up several other seemingly official MS documentation that references "Windows Server 2007, while the same search for 2008 results in nothing official.

Calling it 2007 does seem a little strange when products released later in the year normaly use the next year in the name, though maybe actually MS want the product to sound older by being a year further back when the next Windows Server is released? Office 2003 also appeared quite late in 2003 but still carried that year in its name though, so maybe it will be Server '07?
Last edited by Vista Ultimate R2 on Mon May 07, 2007 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

psiren

Post by psiren »

It's been rumoured to be called Server 2007 for a while. What you'll probably find is that they'll release another public beta release after months of delays, then delay again, then give a finaly release date, and then put that back.
Since when have MS ever timed anything right? Have you seen estimates when copying large files? (32735days, 14hours, 34mins 22secs remaining)

Vista Ultimate R2

psiren wrote:Since when have MS ever timed anything right? Have you seen estimates when copying large files? (32735days, 14hours, 34mins 22secs remaining)
The negative values that you sometimes get when downloading very large files using Internet Explorer are rather interesting too (I can't remember if they were for time remaining or the proportion of the file completed though, and I'm not sure if you still get it with IE7 or not).

The server team usually stick to their schedules a bit better than the client side though eg they said 4 years between major releases and 2 years betwen "R2" releases since 2003, and they seem to have stuck pretty close to that so far. What's everyone's impression of "Server 2007" so far - close to completion or still lots of issues to resolve before it can go gold?

psiren

Post by psiren »

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:What's everyone's impression of "Server 2007" so far - close to completion or still lots of issues to resolve before it can go gold?
Well, you've got to look at it how it's meant to be seen. It is a CTP (customer technology preview) after all. My view is that it's just as pointless as Vista over XP. More bells and whistles whilst dumbing down the whole process (funnily enough, going down the same route as some flavours of Linux!)

Vista Ultimate R2

Further to the issue of naming for LHS, check this out:

From here