XSOS

Discussions about *nix and Other Operating Systems should go in this forum.
expert01

XSOS

Post by expert01 »

I just saw this pop up on digg, it's some DX9/10 compatible OS supported by MS. I've heard everything from "linux" to "stripped Win2k".

http://rapidshare.com/files/15194180/XSOS_v2.02.rar

dirtwarrior

Post by dirtwarrior »

version 3 is being tested now.

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

AFAIK, this is based on Windows 2000, isn't it?

dirtwarrior

Post by dirtwarrior »

Yes it is. Some a** wipe turned the iso to MS so I dont know what the future of this will be.

iWindoze

Post by iWindoze »

dirtwarrior wrote:Yes it is. Some a** wipe turned the iso to MS so I dont know what the future of this will be.
Hey Dirt!

Hmm... This looks like it should really go in the Custom OSes section if its based on Win2000, shouldn't it?

I'll give it an install tonight and see what it looks like and let everyone know what I think....

--iWindoze

dirtwarrior

Post by dirtwarrior »

It should. I installed and was very impressed. On first boot using 19 mb comitt without tweaking services.

dirtwarrior

Post by dirtwarrior »

V e of this continues. It will not be leaked until testing is completely over. V 4 will be a sort of linux based

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

It looks quite good (I am still installing ATM). I like the "Windows Freestyle" branding and the XPized icons are a nice touch although the optics aren't that important on such an OS. Also a cool thing: It shows the Windows Powered boot screen...

dirtwarrior

Post by dirtwarrior »

Installs very fast. I like but would tweak it with more stuff.

bob

Post by bob »

Reading the original website, this sounds like a ReactOS type project, however you say it is based on win2k?

bob.

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

bob wrote:Reading the original website, this sounds like a ReactOS type project, however you say it is based on win2k?

bob.
Yep, it is. It has the Win2k Pro CD identifiers in the ISO and the Win2k boot string in the loader. And there are many more places where it tells it's based on Win2k. Nevertheless, it's a very fast OS with a low footprint. But that doesn't surprise because it's so small...

iWindoze

Post by iWindoze »

bob wrote:Reading the original website, this sounds like a ReactOS type project, however you say it is based on win2k?

bob.
No, it's definitely windows 2000, unfortunately the rebranding as "freestyle" seems to be hurting me on installing drivers and applications from my mobo manufacturer so I dunno how useful this is (besides the cool factor of a small footprint OS of course) and quite frankly I'm not too thrilled with the Windows Powered bootscreen and would have preferred them to have done their own...

I have one I tossed together a bit back that would look good...unfortunately it's at home and I can't post it here. (I'm on my laptop currently and visiting my parents.) I'd have gotten the one I uploaded to vipertech, but the forums seem to have disappeared!

--iWindoze

PS: dirt, if you still have the one I posted to you there, could you post it in this thread?

Grisa

Post by Grisa »

I can't understand now what this XSOS 2.02 really is. As seemed to me, it's not more than a mediocrely customized and stripped-down W2K, but prove me the opposite if I'm not right.

iWindoze

Post by iWindoze »

Grisa wrote:I can't understand now what this XSOS 2.02 really is. As seemed to me, it's not more than a mediocrely customized and stripped-down W2K, but prove me the opposite if I'm not right.
Don't forget the work necessary to rebrand the thing as "Windows Freestyle" using NTswitch! I don't know if he's done more or not yet as I'm still trying to get drivers to work under this. For some reason the drivers I have are complaining about a "unsupported edition of Windows"...

--iWindoze

dirtwarrior

Post by dirtwarrior »

Grisa wrote:I can't understand now what this XSOS 2.02 really is. As seemed to me, it's not more than a mediocrely customized and stripped-down W2K, but prove me the opposite if I'm not right.
I know 1 of the persons that made. It is not a simple hack job. Nobody will force you to use it.

Bender
Donator

Post by Bender »

It seems, from the ISO that this is a nicely stripped down Windows 2000.
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC; en-US; mimic; rv:9.3.2) Clecko/20120101 Classilla/CFM
"Stupid can opener! You killed my father, and now you've come back for me!"

iWindoze

Post by iWindoze »

dirtwarrior wrote:
I know 1 of the persons that made. It is not a simple hack job. Nobody will force you to use it.
Could you ask your friend what I need to do to get some of the missing driver support I need for the Laptop? It's a Dell Inspiron 5100 and it simply cannot find two devices "unknown" (but I think one of them might be the modem--which complains about bad inf script when I try to install) and the "PC Card to PCI" something which I simply cannot seem to get working and is definitely affecting me because the PCMCIA slot isn't working at all.

I've already tried making an updated Windows 2000 cd (Unofficial SP5) but that didn't help at all. Do I need to try hunting down a copy of Freestyle or something? Just what modifications did they do on this OS???

--iWindoze

dirtwarrior

Post by dirtwarrior »

I dont know if this will help but there is a read me on the iso about drivers.
If this dont work I will ask 1 of the developers about it.

expert01

Post by expert01 »

Download Unknown Device Identifier. If you can't identify the two components by the information it gives, then grab the Vendor ID and Device ID from the program and look them up at pcidatabase.com or http://pciids.sourceforge.net/ or http://listing.driveragent.com/pci/

dirtwarrior

Post by dirtwarrior »

expert01 wrote:Download Unknown Device Identifier. If you can't identify the two components by the information it gives, then grab the Vendor ID and Device ID from the program and look them up at pcidatabase.com or http://pciids.sourceforge.net/ or http://listing.driveragent.com/pci/
Sounds interesting. Does it work well?

expert01

Post by expert01 »

Gets the job done

iWindoze

Post by iWindoze »

dirtwarrior wrote:I dont know if this will help but there is a read me on the iso about drivers.
If this dont work I will ask 1 of the developers about it.
I'll give it another look; I didn't see any readme, so that might solve most of my problems right there! Thanks!
expert01 wrote:Download Unknown Device Identifier. If you can't identify the two components by the information it gives, then grab the Vendor ID and Device ID from the program and look them up at pcidatabase.com or http://pciids.sourceforge.net/ or http://listing.driveragent.com/pci/
Downloading now... I'll report back on how well (or not) it works! Thanks for the recommendation!

--iWindoze

dirtwarrior

Post by dirtwarrior »

here is the read me

XSOS v2.02

Installtime is 5min + 1 extra boot
Installsize = 133mb

[INFO]

You are/will be logged in as:
UserName ="Administrator"
Password ="Administrator"

NVIDIA SATA Raid drivers is now fully working, no need for floppy and hitting F6 ) .
DirectX 9.0c is included as well!!

At the end of install you will be given choices of apps and utils to install with an WPI interface. (due to crappy gfx drivers it will not be in the best res.)

ALL HOTFIXES UP TO 2006-07-15 HAS BEEN MERGED INTO SOURCE PREINSTALL!

The "front" and Explorer of the OS has been modded to an somewhat more pleasant look, I hope you like it...loootsa work there.

The switch for Online/Offline mode has been extended to 4 different modes: (memusage)

OnlineWork - Network access + workgroup/domain joining possible (25MB)

Online - Network access (23MB)

Offline - Offline (21MB) (Default)

BenchMode - Offline + only the very essential services running (19.5MB) (will reboot, be patient!!)

!!!SWITCHES LOCATED AT "Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\System Tools!!!
!!!Benchmode is still in experimental stage, can be VERY long boottime!!!
------------------------------------------

[[[ XSOS v2.0 ]]]

[DRIVERS]

NVIDIA SATA RAID (NF3, NF4) confirmed
ULI SATA RAID (m5228, m5281)
SiL SATA RAID (Si3112r)

[APPS&UTILS]

Evil Player v1.12 added
Kkrieger added

[FUNCTIONALITY]

Network/Domain Joining confirmed
DirectX 9.0c confirmed
Boinc confirmed
Gaim v1.5 confirmed

[Bugs&Fixes]

AMD Dual-Core fix fixed

monitor, "not found" fixed

Daemon Tools fixed (ignore errors)

ATI Tool fixed

[[[ XSOS v2.01 ]]]

[Bugs&Fixes]

halacpi.dll, Error 14 fixed (for sure I hope)

[[[ XSOS v2.02 ]]]

[Bugs&Fixes]

Minor fixes and some tweaks for better performance

[ATTENTION!]

---WHEN YOU INSTALL DRIVERS MAKE SURE TO WAIT FOR ALL THE SEPARATE DRIVER MODULES TO BE INSTALLED BEFORE YOU REBOOT, THIS IS [NOT!] DONE AUTOMATICALLY!!---

You need to be patient when plugging in those drivers, after you started a driver install you must make sure that all the driver components has been installed before reboot (can be multiple popups) ..this does only require for a click on the "automatic install" button...multiple times if you are installing Audio for example. This is a result of the Shell Hardware Detection beeing deactivated...will save resources but requires patience. Decision was made to do this considering that drivers wont be installed everyday...but you surely would like to have the extra resources gained at hand everyday...right?

[Issues]

ADD/REMOVE Program will have issues if not all systemdrivers are properly plugged in, make sure you install all your drivers before messing about with it.

[Greets]

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated!

A side note:
Please try to be realistic when it comes to what to expect of functionality, this is meant for hardcore gaming or benching primarily...not as an 24/7 OS that can install and run all those gadgets you might think of.

/Team

jimmsta
Donator

Post by jimmsta »

I've been using this to test some of my broken systems. What I like about it, is that the microsoft installer service is fully functioning, unlike other heavily stripped-down versions of Win2k that I've tried. Plus, I can install drivers, and still use the OS to play games. XSOS is very useful.

dirtwarrior

Post by dirtwarrior »

Did you have any driver problems?