Windows LiveCD

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Panda X
Donator

Windows LiveCD

Post by Panda X »

Is there a Windows LiveCD. I was just curious. It seems like a good move MS could make but they choose not to.

pr0gram the pr0grammer
Donator

Post by pr0gram the pr0grammer »

Google for BartPE. It's an (unofficial) Windows live-CD builder. It can't run everything that Windows will run though because of the limitations of a read-only file system etc. However you can get it configured quite nicely. I use a 350MB BartPE CD for things like Norton Ghost, and for rescuing systems that have gone bad. It works well.
pr0gram the pr0grammer
BetaArchive retiree | OSBA Expat

Namronia

Post by Namronia »

did you mean something like "knoppix"?

yes, "Windows PE" (preinstallation environment)

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

Yes, BartPE is the way to go, as already said. But it's not comparable to Knoppix in its functionality etc. due to some limitations.

Namronia

Post by Namronia »

yes, yore right with knoppix, but how to explain windows pe?

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

I only said that WindowsPE and Knoppix are comparable in terms of being both a live OS directly booting from CD. On top of that, PE has several limitations that Knoppix doesn't have. Simply said, PE is not meant to be used as an everyday OS on several PCs, it's more a rescue media.

Beta Freak

Post by Beta Freak »

I didn't know about this. It looks useful.
Edit: Just built my second image, it consists of everything that comes default and firefox. Seems very handy and still surprised I hadn't heard of it before.

Bertie Bott

Post by Bertie Bott »

Yeah, I love using BartPE. I fix people's computers when they seem to be beyond repair and many times these rescue CDs do just the trick!

bob
FTP Access

Post by bob »

get PE from the vista kit - winpe2.0 is awsome! full image based deployment into RAM, not running from the cd