BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 101d, 19h, 19m | CPU: 51% | MEM: 6667MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Microsoft to offer browser choice in EU        Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:54 am 
FTP Access

Quote:
Microsoft has offered to let European PC customers pick the browser they want running on Windows PCs, hoping to placate anti-trust regulators.

Users will be able to pick one of five most popular browsers via a proposed Ballot Screen, which will be available for download to Windows Vista and Windows XP via software update, according to Microsoft.

Microsoft also plans to ship the screen with future releases of Windows. That means that if Microsoft's offer is accepted by the European Union regulators, Windows 7 will be Microsoft's first client operating system that lets users chose a browser at the start rather than work only with Internet Explorer. Windows 7 will still ship with Microsoft's own browser, IE.

The five browsers offered will be determined by averaging monthly use-share date for the past six months.

Once a browser is picked, an install link will connect the user to the browser manufacturer's site to begin download, Microsoft said.

The offer is part of package of proposals for EU regulators, who this year said Microsoft had violated anti-trust law by integrating Windows with IE

The Register

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft to offer browser choice in EU        Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:13 am 
Donator

Beats the crap outta removing all browsers from the OS, will prolly save me some time going to different pages downloading each browser too.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft to offer browser choice in EU        Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:32 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Ultimate
The ballot box idea was the best idea to begin with. I'm not sure why Microsoft didn't do it to start off with.......

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft to offer browser choice in EU        Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:21 pm 
FTP Access

merty wrote:
The ballot box idea was the best idea to begin with. I'm not sure why Microsoft didn't do it to start off with.......

Well why should they be forced to include a competing product to begin with? Apple seem to be allowed to distribute OSX without including anything alternatives to Safari, or iTunes, or any of the other included apps that are defaults for the OS. Yet the EU is mysteriously silent when it comes to them. One set of rules for Apple, another for a company they can actually make money from...
The whole thing is utterly ridiculous.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft to offer browser choice in EU        Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:28 pm 
Donator

As mentioned before, the EU targets companies with a greater than 10% marketshare, Apples marketshare is currently slightly less than 10%

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft to offer browser choice in EU        Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:49 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
The EU should make Apple ship Mac OS X with a ballot screen, and what then. Remember when Apple force Safari on to iTunes user through the automatic update?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft to offer browser choice in EU        Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:14 pm 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
The EU is also greedy and knows Microsoft will-can pay.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft to offer browser choice in EU        Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:58 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7
2 things to say about the apple should be force to do this two..

1 apple is an insignificant bug that only sheep care about
when it actually gets anywhere if ever then its control stance will git its teeth knocked out by the EU

2 apple uses a OS derivative of Linux called Darwin while NO OSX isn't OS
its made from OS

abut the ballot.. i would prefer an XML page rather then IE
like they say in those stroke commercials "time lost is brain lost"

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft to offer browser choice in EU        Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:39 pm 
FTP Access

Frozenport wrote:
The EU is also greedy and knows Microsoft will-can pay.

Correction, Microsoft is greedy so the EU is making them pay. Lets's get it right why don't we.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft to offer browser choice in EU        Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:53 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7
angelwolf71885 wrote:
2 things to say about the apple should be force to do this two..

1 apple is an insignificant bug that only sheep care about
when it actually gets anywhere if ever then its control stance will git its teeth knocked out by the EU

2 apple uses a OS derivative of Linux called Darwin while NO OSX isn't OS
its made from OS

abut the ballot.. i would prefer an XML page rather then IE
like they say in those stroke commercials "time lost is brain lost"

Correction, Darwin isn't a derivative of Linux, but based on BSD, UNIX.

And I disagree that Microsoft is greedy, if they were... then there's be a hell of a lot more lawsuits flying around.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft to offer browser choice in EU        Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:14 pm 
FTP Access

You can disagree, but the fact remains that Microsoft didn't get where it is by playing by the rules, they got there by bending them and in some cases, breaking them. They are not alone in that respect, however some people seem to think that the EU just likes to pick on MS when that is not the case. Microsoft is a multi billion dollar corporation, what else is the EU supposed to do? Fine them $10 and continue to allow them to break the law? Please. They have gotten off lightly.

Microsoft has had its fair share of lawsuits. No doubt a lot of smaller companies would rather ignore Microsoft's actions than be bankrupted by legal costs due to Microsoft dragging their feet, something they can more than afford to do and a common tactic used in the business world to squeeze out smaller competitors who dare to attempt legal recourse. Microsoft got what they deserved, they got a fine which won't really dent their financial position, and the consumer got more choice. The EU did their job for once.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft to offer browser choice in EU        Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:17 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 (7600)
Like I said in the other topic, IE - is a nice utility for downloading Opera or Firefox :)

Top  Profile  ICQ
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft to offer browser choice in EU        Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:23 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Ultimate
STKD wrote:
merty wrote:

Well why should they be forced to include a competing product to begin with? Apple seem to be allowed to distribute OSX without including anything alternatives to Safari, or iTunes, or any of the other included apps that are defaults for the OS. Yet the EU is mysteriously silent when it comes to them. One set of rules for Apple, another for a company they can actually make money from...
The whole thing is utterly ridiculous.

The ballot box idea was a better idea than including no web browser at all.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft to offer browser choice in EU        Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:22 am 
Donator

Agreed, puting aside my thoughts that Microsoft should be able to do whatever they want within their own OS, I quite like the ballot box idea, might even lead me to download the E version of Windows.

ADD: Not that it really matters anyway, most home users keep the OEM installation that comes with the computer, and garaunteed the OEM's will install IE, hopefully Firefox too.

ADD2: They should make it so the ballot box appears on a sysprep'd install.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft to offer browser choice in EU        Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:52 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
Note:

The EU is not picking on them.
The lawyers and goverments are, the general public has NOTHING to say about it.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft to offer browser choice in EU        Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:07 pm 
Donator

DjRob wrote:
Note:

Well its not like they can really go wrong... picking the 4 top alternative browsers would leave near 99% of people perfectly happy.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft to offer browser choice in EU        Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:04 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
zamadatix wrote:
DjRob wrote:
Note:

Well its not like they can really go wrong... picking the 4 top alternative browsers would leave near 99% of people perfectly happy.

I meant about the lawsuit against them, not against the alternative browsers.
But it is it all from the goverments not the people, the people just want to use a computer to browse or e-mail, play games and so on and most of them are familiar with Windows and Internet Explorer.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft to offer browser choice in EU        Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:39 pm 
FTP Access

So the "Windows 7 E" is death ?!?!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft to offer browser choice in EU        Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:43 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
joecool wrote:
So the "Windows 7 E" is death ?!?!

I think not.

The CRC has been posted on an German Technet Blog.
So people in the EU still have to buy it (but if it's an indication of the ''N'' version sale here, it would be just the ''normal'' installation).

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft to offer browser choice in EU        Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:43 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 (7600)
Windows 7 E is not cancelled. But users of the "E" version will get in a very stupid situation: to install a browser (Opera, for example), user must download Opera from the internet with the help of other browser... but there is no other browser!

Top  Profile  ICQ
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft to offer browser choice in EU        Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:43 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
onghornLay 4029/Whistler 2419
As I believe I have said before, MS' Market share for IE wont go down much, because many people who are offered a choice will still choose IE because it is familiar to them and because they have no real reason to change. Those who want to download an alternative browser would have downloaded it anyways and by trying to offer users a choice of browsers the first time the computer is run will only inconvenience those who choose IE or would have chosen IE anyways. Those who would download something else will be only as inconvenienced as before, seeing that they will still have to download and install the browser after being given a link to the download page.

IT departments will still run IE as a default, seeing that many of them are still on XP and IE6 meaning they would stick to a browser name they recognize when upgrading, users who don't like change will still choose IE, many OEMs will still choose IE because that's what users are familiar with and those who would choose otherwise would have chosen otherwise anyways. All in all, I feel this is very pointless and time consuming and will, in the end, only hurt the quality of Windows 7 and Microsoft's reputation in Europe and even though the EU is to blame for enforcing it, users will blame MS for inconveniencing them. I begrudge Opera a little over this lawsuit, but I remain mostly unaffected since I live on the other side of the Atlantic and I am willing to accept that Opera Software started this suit and still use Opera.

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]