BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 4d, 6h, 29m | CPU: 47% | MEM: 5215MB of 11513MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: URGENT: Need to find out the connector for this floppy drive        Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:21 am 
Donator

Hey guys, I just recently bought a Osborne 1 laptop (well, its more of a lunchbox xD), and I would like to stuff Windows 1.00 on it, but I dont think this laptop has an hdd in it. I found a 5 1/4" floppy drive (what the Osborne uses), and I need to know what kind of connector this is.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: URGENT: Need to find out the connector for this floppy drive        Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:26 am 
Donator

It's just a 5.25" floppy connector. Good luck finding a cable though.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: URGENT: Need to find out the connector for this floppy drive        Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:09 am 
Donator

Is there a link where you could show me what it is? I have no experience with 5.25" floppies

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: URGENT: Need to find out the connector for this floppy drive        Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:10 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone

The big one at the right of the picture.

Well, they are common, some times you can buy them still in stores, othertimes search ebay for such cable, otherwise buy an old computer (like 486, Pentium 1) they have such ones.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: URGENT: Need to find out the connector for this floppy drive        Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:13 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
I'm almost certain I have a few of these lying around. Where I have no idea, I struggled to fine a standard IDE cable last week...

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: URGENT: Need to find out the connector for this floppy drive        Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:22 am 
Donator

So thats what that connector is for the problem is the cable I have with it I can't find it either as I know I had a bunch of IDE cables.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: URGENT: Need to find out the connector for this floppy drive        Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:19 pm 
Donator

/me looks into his collection of cables, which all seem to be IDE (lol andy)

I found it in a computer box I got free a while ago, and the drive was just in there, so maybe there is a cable in there. Well if there isn't then everyone I know is gonna say im stupid for buying an old pc lol.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: URGENT: Need to find out the connector for this floppy drive        Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:06 pm 
Donator

That just shows how much of a packrat and a computer geek I am. I actually found a cable for this drive laying around, now I just need to get floppy disks for it...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: URGENT: Need to find out the connector for this floppy drive        Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:10 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
haiku
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Flat-Floppy-Hard ... otohosting

:wink:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: URGENT: Need to find out the connector for this floppy drive        Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:12 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
haiku
ha ha i need to type faster. you beat me to it. good luck with the machine:)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: URGENT: Need to find out the connector for this floppy drive        Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:15 pm 
Donator

If the BIOS supports 3.5" drives why don't you juse use one of those and copy the floppies you have on to 3.5" disks? But I guess you would need a 5-1/4" drive setup to copy them. Have you looked online for disk images of what you're trying to install? 3.5" disks are either 700 something KB or 1.44MB, 5-1/4" disks are only like 1.2MB. So you should be able to write 5-1/4" disk images on to 3.5" disks.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: URGENT: Need to find out the connector for this floppy drive        Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:22 pm 
Donator

QuiescentWonder wrote:
If the BIOS supports 3.5" drives why don't you juse use one of those and copy the floppies you have on to 3.5" disks? But I guess you would need a 5-1/4" drive setup to copy them. Have you looked online for disk images of what you're trying to install? 3.5" disks are either 700 something KB or 1.44MB, 5-1/4" disks are only like 1.2MB. So you should be able to write 5-1/4" disk images on to 3.5" disks.

I would use 3.5", but I don't think I can just shove any old floppy drive into the Osborne. Also, this is just for collecting purposes, Im not going to use this everyday for something lol.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: URGENT: Need to find out the connector for this floppy drive        Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:31 pm 
Donator

Oh my, probably not.

Also

Quote:
Also available is the Double-Density Disk Drive Option. This is an additional circuit board which must be installed inside the system.
Doubles the amount of data storage per diskette.
Recognizes these formats:
-- Osborne 1 single density - 92K per diskette
-- Osborne 1 double density - 182K per diskette
-- Xerox 820 single density - 82K per diskette
-- Cromemco single density - 80K per diskette
-- IBM Personal Computer (CP/M-86 format) - 156K per diskette
-- DEC VT-180 - 171K per diskette

Good luck finding disks to work in those drives, unless you already have some.

Does the machine actually pick up the floppy drive? Is there even any way to tell? On a machine this old...how do you even configure it? Is there an option to enter a BIOS? Jumpers...DIP switches!? LOL

Out of curiousity, do you happen to have any of the software that originally came with the machine?

Last edited by QuiescentWonder on Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: URGENT: Need to find out the connector for this floppy drive        Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:36 pm 
Donator

Yeah, i know. I'm hoping the one I bought will come with copmatible disks already.

Top  Profile