BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 28d, 11h, 23m | CPU: 41% | MEM: 5546MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 PostPost subject: How Do You Store Your Betas?        Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:45 am 
FTP Access

Hrm... I have a problem... What's the best way to store all these betas?

I damage CDRs/DVD-Rs too easily because I tend to flip through them all the time and storing them on spools on my desk isn't the greatest idea, I can't keep them in good enough condition to use them (especially with cheaper media)... Call me lazy, I just never manage it, no matter how careful I try to be... Jewel cases take up a lot of room when you've got a lot of them, so that doesn't help much either.

I'm lacking in HDD space, so that's not really an option, especially with a growing collection, it's really pushing the limits of my poor machine's capacity...

What I had considered was something like CD wallets for A4-sized cardboard binders, or perhaps those box files... Something I can easily flip through without damaging the discs but I haven't found anything like that for sale in stationers. I could buy a whole load of paper (or plastic) CD wallets and hole punch them, but that doesn't sound very... I dunno... tidy...

Any ideas appreciated, I'm sure a few people would be interested in cool ways to hold CDs like this. :)

Y'know, I've noticed I feel like I type really awkwardly when I post here, I've no idea why, apologies if any of my posts seem badly worded or kinda disjointed :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:48 am 

I have beta on my HDD on computer pentium III 800 mhz 448 mb ram.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:07 am 
Donator

I store my betas twice:

1) On CDs/DVDs which are kept in bags and I only take them out when I actually need them, so they're protected against damage.

2) On an external 250GB HD where I have them all as ISOs or RAR archives. Going to get a bigger HD soon because it's slowly getting full (I currently have about 20GB left on it).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:23 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Win2000
I bought a CD holder with about 96 CD slots. Then I burn all betas I got to DVDs (some of them are even DVD DLs)
Right now I have 32 DVDs of betas (9 of them were DL) and they're all in good condition in my CD holder... :)

If you don't have the budget to upgrade your whole computer, buying a big HDD and an IDE to USB cable would save money and come in handy :) (Unless your computer so too old that doesn't support USB 2.0)
Just make sure that your OS supports 48bit LBA or the whole HDD's partition would be screwed up....I've ruined my 250GB HDD's partition many times before I know 48bit LBA... :cry:

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:33 am 
Donator

I store them als ISO on a hdd and burn them to DVDs. So if one storage fails I have the other one left :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:37 am 
FTP Access

empireum wrote:
2) On an external 250GB HD where I have them all as ISOs or RAR archives. Going to get a bigger HD soon because it's slowly getting full (I currently have about 20GB left on it).

I had considered an external HDD but budget prevents me from doing so right now... besides that, I'm not sure I trust drives that big :p

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:37 am 
Donator

tpemail wrote:
I bought a CD holder with about 96 CD slots. Then I burn all betas I got to DVDs (some of them are even DVD DLs)
Right now I have 32 DVDs of betas (9 of them were DL) and they're all in good condition in my CD holder... :)

If you don't have the budget to upgrade your whole computer, buying a big HDD and an IDE to USB cable would save money and come in handy :) (Unless your computer so too old that doesn't support USB 2.0)
Just make sure that your OS supports 48bit LBA or the whole HDD's partition would be screwed up....I've ruined my 250GB HDD's partition many times before I know 48bit LBA... :cry:

Regarding 48bit LBA and USB2.0 – the OS only needs to support 48bit if the HDD is connected internally and addressed using an OS driver, e.g. atapi.sys. If you're using some external USB/1394 gear, it's the job of the converter you use to get this sorted out.

Luckie wrote:
I store them als ISO on a hdd and burn them to DVDs. So if one storage fails I have the other one left Smile

Exactly what I do :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:45 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
As you all know I have two copies of everything too, soon to have a third.

1. The FTP server.
2. My backup/storage server.
3. (coming soon) DVD's, 1 beta to a disk (except the 3.1/95 etc)

EDIT: Regarding large drives, do you know why they fail? Heat. Ive had 2 drives on now 24/7 for two years, heavy use. They both have fans on them and they run at 15-25*c depending on the ambient temperature. Anything over 30*c is likely to harm them. Also, lots of spinning up and down and temperature variances is likely to reduce their lifespan too. Coolers are only a few quid each and can save that expensive disk and the data on it.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:04 am 
FTP Access

Andy wrote:
EDIT: Regarding large drives, do you know why they fail? Heat. Ive had 2 drives on now 24/7 for two years, heavy use. They both have fans on them and they run at 15-25*c depending on the ambient temperature. Anything over 30*c is likely to harm them. Also, lots of spinning up and down and temperature variances is likely to reduce their lifespan too. Coolers are only a few quid each and can save that expensive disk and the data on it.

Hrm, didn't know that's what kills them... mine are generally around the high 20s to mid 30s IIRC... maybe those cheapo coolers aren't such a bad idea... as for spinning up/down, wouldn't that mean the power saving on laptops is probably a bad thing?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:11 am 
Donator

moonlit wrote:
Andy wrote:

Hrm, didn't know that's what kills them... mine are generally around the high 20s to mid 30s IIRC... maybe those cheapo coolers aren't such a bad idea... as for spinning up/down, wouldn't that mean the power saving on laptops is probably a bad thing?

My drives pretty much run 24/7 as well and are in between 30C and 40C. And I've never had one fail on me. Regarding the spinning up/spinning down, 1.8"/2.5" notebook drives are optimized for many more spin-up/down cycles than 3.5" desktop drives, and so the laptop power-saving is absolutely no problem. Frequent turn-off/on is more a concern with the 10Krpm/15Krpm server drives, they aren't meant for that, they're meant for 24/7.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:27 am 
FTP Access

With lappy HDDs able to spin up/down that much and the whole being tolerant to movement/vibration thing I suppose they're quite different to desktop HDDs when you think about it... though they're essentially the same mechanically... they're quite complicated when you really look at them. :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:35 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
It is the heat that kills them. When they warm up and cool down they can warp, which is what causes head crashes. Keep them at a constant temp or a low temp and they wont warp. Easy.

Its well worth a few quid for a cooler. Every HD I own except for this pc and laptop has a cooler on it. They've never let me down.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:38 am 
Staff

So a constant of 29*c is good?
I never really knew what the temperature should be but I had a good idea it was something to do with heat.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:39 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
29*c isnt too bad. Its on the limit of my recommendation of 30*c maximum.

And BTW, although HD's are rated for 60*c it doesnt mean they'll work well at that temp (we've had this conversation before...).

Last edited by Andy on Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:41 am 
FTP Access

Hmm... a steady 35'C here, at least for the HDD that has a temperature sensor... maybe it's time to get a cooler :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:44 am 
Donator

Andy wrote:
29*c isnt too bad. Its on the limit of my recommendation of 30*c maximum.

And BTW, although HD's are rated for 60*c it doesnt mean they'll work well at that temp (we've had this conversation before...).

Yeah, we had this conversation, I remember. And we don't have to have it again... :wink:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:46 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
If people want this convo again so be it :) Maybe more opinions will crop up :)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:59 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074
empireum wrote:
I store my betas twice:

1) On CDs/DVDs which are kept in bags and I only take them out when I actually need them, so they're protected against damage.

Wow. I do exactly the same! (i've just used my HDD with betas)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:17 am 
Staff

Since I wasn't on topic in my first post,
1. All betas stored on my computer.
2. Backup of them all on my HD backup drive.
I like the idea of CD's/DVD's in bags which I might consider doing.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:59 am 
FTP Access

I've got them stored on HDDs then removed and bagged.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:28 pm 
Donator

i don't really store many os betas (the ones i do are on cd/dvd somewhere). but i keep all my game betas on my hdd

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:05 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Whistler
Once a Beta Downloads, I burn it, and just stick it in a case, or one of my CD Folders.

Once that's done, I send it to my External Tape Drive Deck.

And HDDs? Mine run at 48C, mainly because I have 6 HDDs in my main system, and no way to cool them down, but it doesn't bother me, if one fails, I just buy a new one, or take one out of my External Firewire HDD Stack.

Never had a Tape fail on me so far, and since they're 450GB Uncompressed tapes, I have plenty of Backup storage (6x Tape Drive Deck)

My Mark; Shall you RIP. 15/06/1960 - 11/04/2014

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:22 pm 
FTP Access

500GB Western Digital MyBook Premium.

It survived a fall (while off) and all that was damage was a bit of the outer rubber. Everything else is great :P

I might consider burning some Whistler builds to a DVD too (maybe about 12 per disc)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:15 pm 
Donator

I dont have many at the moment but mine are going to be stored on DVD once I get more.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:14 pm 
Donator

Alexsis wrote:
Once a Beta Downloads, I burn it, and just stick it in a case, or one of my CD Folders.

Once that's done, I send it to my External Tape Drive Deck.

And HDDs? Mine run at 48C, mainly because I have 6 HDDs in my main system, and no way to cool them down, but it doesn't bother me, if one fails, I just buy a new one, or take one out of my External Firewire HDD Stack.

Never had a Tape fail on me so far, and since they're 450GB Uncompressed tapes, I have plenty of Backup storage (6x Tape Drive Deck)

what are those tapedecks like? they worth it?

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next