BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 19d, 17h, 16m | CPU: 35% | MEM: 5722MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: KB968771, IE8 for Windows 7 E Users        Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:23 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 2000 SP4
Quote:
Yesterday, fellow blogger and enthusiast Paul Thurrott revealed the European edition of build 7264, which, as you all probably know by now comes without Internet Explorer due to some antitrust lawsuits filed by the European Union against Microsoft. Since said lawsuits were filed, many on communities across the internet debated, or should I say flamed each other on this topic, some supporting Microsoft stating that they have the right to bundle in IE with their OS, and others stating that Microsoft is just taking advantage of their market dominance to have a monopoly over the browser market.

Whatever the case, many from both sides of the isle were curious as to how people will get a web browser on the OS. There was speculation that there will be a dialog box of some sort allowing people to download one out of a few of the most popular browsers out there, however, after we got our dirty hands on this build, we discovered that this isn’t the case. While OEMs may bundle in a browser (or several) of their choice in with the PCs that they ship with Windows 7 E, just how will people get IE on the copies of Windows 7 E that will be on store shelves?

CNET and Ars Technica have reported that Microsoft will distribute a feature pack, that will be given out in the form of CDs bundled in with the Windows 7 E packaging. After looking into this feature pack ourselves, we have found that the update name for this standalone update is KB968771.

We have managed to get our hands on said feature pack, and here are the screenshots of the installation experience on the Windows 7 E version of 7264:

Source: http://geeksmack.net/microsoft/457-excl ... ealed.html

Well, anyone have this...I know the normal 7264 leaked that has internet explorer and all, but I'd like to get a hold of this file just for the sake of preserving it and testing it out.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: KB968771, IE8 for Windows 7 E Users        Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:50 pm 
FTP Access

A rather anonymous looking and blatently uninformative dialog box? Are people actually aware that it installs IE or is yet more Microsoft shenanigans to force people into installing and using IE?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: KB968771, IE8 for Windows 7 E Users        Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:00 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2012 Dtc
I found the Euro edition somewhere. :)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: KB968771, IE8 for Windows 7 E Users        Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:24 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
motherboardlove wrote:

The E x64 edition's been on M1 for days if you hadn't noticed 8-)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: KB968771, IE8 for Windows 7 E Users        Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:02 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
There is a fairly simple way to fake this so that it looks real
1: Use a non-E system, and take a screenshot of Internet explorer
2: save the image as a bitmap (important)
3: set the image as your background on the E system (or open it in Paint)
4: open the WinVer window again, and place it over the "IE" Window
5: take another screenshot
It works really well, even shows the glass effets, it would be way more convincing if there was a startmenu included in these shots.

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: KB968771, IE8 for Windows 7 E Users        Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:06 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2012 Dtc
hounsell wrote:
motherboardlove wrote:

The E x64 edition's been on M1 for days if you hadn't noticed 8-)

Didnt notice... I got it from torrent :mrgreen:

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: KB968771, IE8 for Windows 7 E Users        Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:04 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7
OG wrote:
A rather anonymous looking and blatently uninformative dialog box? Are people actually aware that it installs IE or is yet more Microsoft shenanigans to force people into installing and using IE?

yah i think putting it as an update just in itself with a KB#

then putting it in a "feature" pack...

i wish they would of done the "smart thing and have a dialog pp up during OOBE
listed alphabetically and have people choose a browser to install and use..

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: KB968771, IE8 for Windows 7 E Users        Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:07 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
Didn't anyone notice that almost all files for Internet Explorer are copyed to the 64-bit and 32-bit program files folder?

I think it is just an update like WVPC that just enables something and copyes some files.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: KB968771, IE8 for Windows 7 E Users        Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:11 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7
DjRob wrote:
Didn't anyone notice that almost all files for Internet Explorer are copyed to the 64-bit and 32-bit program files folder?

I think it is just an update like WVPC that just enables something and copyes some files.

that wouldn't surprise me given MS has taken a bake everything in and enable it later approach with win 7

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: KB968771, IE8 for Windows 7 E Users        Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:34 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 2000 SP4
DjRob wrote:

So you have this file? If you could do me a favor and put it on megaupload or something that'd be great.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: KB968771, IE8 for Windows 7 E Users        Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:23 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
nookupeous wrote:
DjRob wrote:

So you have this file? If you could do me a favor and put it on megaupload or something that'd be great.

I don't have the file and if I would have it, I would have it uploaded already.

But after a fresh installation I meant.
Almost all files are present.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: KB968771, IE8 for Windows 7 E Users        Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:55 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 2000 SP4
DjRob wrote:
nookupeous wrote:
DjRob wrote:

I don't have the file and if I would have it, I would have it uploaded already.

But after a fresh installation I meant.
Almost all files are present.

Oh, I see. Also what do you mean by "most of the files" do you mean that the internet explorer folder in program files is missing. But the "core files" needed to run iexplore.exe still exist? Or what?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: KB968771, IE8 for Windows 7 E Users        Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:19 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
iexplorer.exe doesn't exist and this the ''core'' file for starting it.
All other .exe files do not work, like the ieinstall.exe.

In C:\Program Files and in C:\Program Files (x86) there are folders with Internet Explorer.

If you wait I will give you a screenshot of the contents of both folders.

I have extracted both folders.
The 64 folder = 64-bit version and 86 = 32-bit version

Top  Profile  WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]