Longhorn 4074 on a Mac?

Discussions about *nix and Other Operating Systems should go in this forum.
F44 Control
FTP Access

Longhorn 4074 on a Mac?

Post by F44 Control »

When I try booting the Longhorn 4074 dvd on my MacBook, the installer will freeze and crash due to (I suspect) the bios that Apple uses for Boot Camp not recognizing the disc as Windows XP or Vista/7 OR the installer Longhorn uses is incompatible with the bios.

Would there be anyway to make an install based on the Vista installer or something like that? I really don't know anything about this stuff. I'm not worried about drivers, I just want to get it installed.

aLinux
Donator

Re: Longhorn 4074 on a Mac?

Post by aLinux »

F44 Control wrote:When I try booting the Longhorn 4074 dvd on my MacBook, the installer will freeze and crash due to (I suspect) the bios that Apple uses for Boot Camp not recognizing the disc as Windows XP or Vista/7 OR the installer Longhorn uses is incompatible with the bios.

Would there be anyway to make an install based on the Vista installer or something like that? I really don't know anything about this stuff. I'm not worried about drivers, I just want to get it installed.
better use it on a virtual machine
i dont know if longhorn suports MAC's,but i gues the answer is 100% NO
there were problems with pc drivers and support.. talk about mac

good luck

tehosc
FTP Access

Post by tehosc »

Better idea, use it on VMware Fusion with the added support on 3D Acceleration if you want to experiment on DWM/Aero.

I'm planning on getting a MacBook Pro so if you want to know a bit more about Longhorn, then I'll see you on M1.

F44 Control
FTP Access

Post by F44 Control »

Swift C. wrote:Better idea, use it on VMware Fusion with the added support on 3D Acceleration if you want to experiment on DWM/Aero.

I'm planning on getting a MacBook Pro so if you want to know a bit more about Longhorn, then I'll see you on M1.
3D acceleration doesn't make Aero work on VMware Fusion, unless you're talking about a special build.

bradphipps
FTP Access

Post by bradphipps »

4074 runs very smoothly under VMware on my Macbook Pro.

The installer will splutter and die if the BIOS date isn't set to April 2004. After you bootcamp and restart it's all down to the disc, which is independent of the Mac. At least that's my understanding of it.

F44 Control
FTP Access

Post by F44 Control »

Oh, well that makes sense.

So is it true DWM doesn't work in VMware Fusion?

motherboardlove
Donator

Post by motherboardlove »

F44 Control wrote:Oh, well that makes sense.

So is it true DWM doesn't work in VMware Fusion?
Im not sure, but a lot of features dont work in Mac / VMware Fusion cause of chipsets and all that other crap Your best bet is to use a 100% IBM or Compatible PC
See my profile for my website link.

Kenneth
Donator

Post by Kenneth »

Actually a machine that has an ISA/EISA bus and is single processor (e_isa_up, hal.dll)

motherboardlove
Donator

Post by motherboardlove »

Windows OCManage wrote:single processor (e_isa_up, hal.dll)
For some reason I think a my dual processor (and quad-core) setup is just as compatible
See my profile for my website link.

Pwned
Donator

Post by Pwned »

In Windows FLP delete install.wim and insert Longhorn's wim to there. But you'll need Windows FLP and Longhorn 4074 key both. Or just play with wim files. This both OSes use xImage 6.0.4059.

James
Staff

Post by James »

Macs are GOOD computers. Its just the EFI doesnt really let you set the date.

I hate anti-Mac zealots.
James *~*~* BA Moderator | Alternate History writer

Whistler2296
FTP Access

Post by Whistler2296 »

You could always try getting the WIM file out of the DVD, and ImageX'ing it to the drive (DarWine needed)

SpAM_CAN
FTP Access

Post by SpAM_CAN »

If I were you, I would install through VMWare or Paralells into a BootCamp partition. Or use NTFS-3g to copy the contents of a VM to the NTFS partition.

StefanDj
FTP Access

Post by StefanDj »

I don't see a point to install 4074 on mac! Mac is better than 4074... but well i'm a LH fan so can't complain!

Tukjedude
FTP Access

Post by Tukjedude »

Because HE maybe dont like so much or he just want the full functions of it, running a OS in a VM is not the best way to get full performance out of your pc.

EDIT: About bootcamp:
You can just run a Windows based OS or any other x86 OS on a mac without using the Botocamp assistant on Mac OS X. Just put CD in the Mac.
Reboot hold ALT key, wait and you should see a cd name: "Windows" move with the arrow keys and hit Enter. Then wait and you can install Windows or linux what ever you like. The only problem is that you need a new partition and you can't resize the Mac OS X partition whil installing Windows. So only thing the Bootcamp assistant does is making a new partition and let you insert the Installation Disk of windows and reboot the computer.

After installing windows you just insert the Mac OS X cd while in Windows. Wich will install the drivers egg sound an grapihc drivers.

Bootcamp isn't a program its a name for a method.... and a simple tool on Mac OS X.
Let this be clear....
"OSBetaCollect, free HTTP beta downloading!"