BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 58d, 8h, 12m | CPU: 57% | MEM: 6103MB of 10894MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Multi-touch desktop monitors, where are you??        Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:55 pm 
FTP Access

So, where are they? I can't find any announces except the announce of Albatron - they said it would release multi-touch enabled monitor in spring (!!!), and since then there were no news at all...

Finally, WHEN we will see such the monitors available in the market?

Windows 7 is coming in three months and there still be no any announces of desktop monitors from worldwide vendords, no any models in the market at all.

What's up? What do you think?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Multi-touch desktop monitors, where are you??        Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:29 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10 Pro x64
Well you can get touch screens now, but phone forms. I think there coming in the next few months end of this year.

I-i-it's n-not as if I wanted to ban you or anything. B-baka. (「・ω・)「

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Multi-touch desktop monitors, where are you??        Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:15 pm 
FTP Access

Touch screens are pointless and evil.

The only intended market of touchscreen desktop pc monitors i can forsee is the teenage "CSI wannabe" who thinks that hacking involves waving your hands around to techno music whilst flashing 3d graphics represent data.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Multi-touch desktop monitors, where are you??        Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:21 pm 
FTP Access

bob wrote:
Touch screens are pointless and evil.

The only intended market of touchscreen desktop pc monitors i can forsee is the teenage "CSI wannabe" who thinks that hacking involves waving your hands around to techno music whilst flashing 3d graphics represent data.

Anyway it's the next generation of PC interaction, not depending on you seeing the sense in it or not. Some people still live in MS-DOS era though |-)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Multi-touch desktop monitors, where are you??        Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:40 pm 
FTP Access

find me someone who can type faster on a touchscreen, or someone who prefers (real) gaming on one, and i'll believe you. crappy phone games do not count.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Multi-touch desktop monitors, where are you??        Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:49 pm 
FTP Access

bob wrote:
find me someone who can type faster on a touchscreen, or someone who prefers (real) gaming on one, and i'll believe you. crappy phone games do not count.

First of all, multi-touch is a platform. For today I can't remember any applications designed specially for 7's multi-touch except Microsoft's Touch Pack. Not suprisingly - we even don't have monitors with multi-touch support in the shops and only a few expensive laptops are available! It's not a question of typing or gaming, it's a question of applications that will use advantages of new features, making some tasks easier by touching than mouse/keyboard using. And they will.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Multi-touch desktop monitors, where are you??        Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:57 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
The standalone monitor multi-touch monitor is not out yet. The only multi-touch desktop out there is the HP TouchSmart PC.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Multi-touch desktop monitors, where are you??        Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:45 am 
Donator

bob wrote:

When did you ever see any touchscreen marketed towards word processing or hardcore gamers? No one has suggested what you're suggesting, and no one has said that keyboards and mice are going away any time soon.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Multi-touch desktop monitors, where are you??        Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:56 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
This could be just slightly off topic, but do homebrew multitouch tables work with Windows 7's Touch features?

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Multi-touch desktop monitors, where are you??        Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:33 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Whistler
pizzaboy192 wrote:
This could be just slightly off topic, but do homebrew multitouch tables work with Windows 7's Touch features?

I know of Overlays that do work with Windows 7, one of my main LCDs has a touch Overlay, not a multi-touch overlay, just a single; and it works just perfect with Windows 7.

If I could find a not so expensive Multi-Touch Overlay, I'd buy it and try it, but alas not yet.

My Mark; Shall you RIP. 15/06/1960 - 11/04/2014

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Multi-touch desktop monitors, where are you??        Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:27 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
Raiker wrote:
So, where are they? I can't find any announces except the announce of Albatron - they said it would release multi-touch enabled monitor in spring (!!!), and since then there were no news at all...

Finally, WHEN we will see such the monitors available in the market?

Windows 7 is coming in three months and there still be no any announces of desktop monitors from worldwide vendords, no any models in the market at all.

What's up? What do you think?

Microsoft Surface.

They actually work.
I have used one of them at an demonstration, cool!.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Multi-touch desktop monitors, where are you??        Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:01 am 
FTP Access

DjRob wrote:
Microsoft Surface.

They actually work.
I have used one of them at an demonstration, cool!.

Is Micorosft Surface looks like a monitor? :D It looks more like a table :P

SO, nobody has any information about when multi-touch monitors are coming. I mailed to Albatron but got no answer. Ok, let's wait.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Multi-touch desktop monitors, where are you??        Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:58 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
Well, it is a monitor, just flat with an glass on it.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Multi-touch desktop monitors, where are you??        Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:03 pm 
FTP Access

DjRob wrote:

It's not, since it uses a quite different technology for multi-touch than monitors do. :P

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Multi-touch desktop monitors, where are you??        Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:25 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
Raiker wrote:
DjRob wrote:

It's not, since it uses a quite different technology for multi-touch than monitors do. :P

Ah well, I thought it was a contender.
Anyway, why do you need an multi-touch monitor, I find an keyboard and mouse much easier to use.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Multi-touch desktop monitors, where are you??        Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:44 pm 
Donator

I cant see myself using a touch screen monitor as a desktop, your sitting at a desk with a keyboard and mouse to do things like work processing and alike, a touchscreen would just go to waste and you'd get arm cramps reaching out. Laptops and netbooks on the other hand, I quite like the idea of touch screens, seeng as (for me at least) they are more for media and such than for word processing.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Multi-touch desktop monitors, where are you??        Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:05 pm 
Donator

I agree with J.Bryne: For a desktop I don't like the idea of a touch monitor either. Multitouch would have advantages on a desktop but otherwise I don't think it would really be that good.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Multi-touch desktop monitors, where are you??        Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:56 pm 
FTP Access

You forgot Media Center PCs, where multi-touch will be manna from heaven.

Really, again, multi-touch is what will change how we interact with our PCs. Not tomorrow and not immediately with Windows 7 release. You say mouse and keyboard are easier to use, however just think about applications that will be designed especially for multi-touch. Those applications, where many day-to-day tasks will be easier with your hands than with keyboard and mouse. *that you can't imagine them doesn't mean they can't exist ^^ *

Ok, anyway, this topic was about monitors and not about advantages of multi-touch itself :)

Top  Profile  WWW