Best Network Configuration?

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
intellivision
FTP Access

Best Network Configuration?

Post by intellivision »

Hi everyone.
I know a little about networks and recently I've dived into the realm of wireless networks. The individual parts work, but when put together, they form one great puddle of confusion.
Here is what I have atm:
[[Internet]] => [[Linux Gateway with Clarkconnect]] => {switch} => Computers
I want to replace the switch with a WRT54G.
1st, What mode with the stock firmware would be the best way?
2nd, Should the server be a gateway or standalone?
3rd, What would be the best way to integrate a mythtv backend into this setup?
Time can never catch up with me, Zeno proved it.

QuiescentWonder
Donator

Re: Best Network Configuration?

Post by QuiescentWonder »

Depends on which hardware you think is most reliable, really. If you don't trust the Linksys router then go into the web configuration and shut off DHCP, then just plug it into your switch. It's hard to tell how it should be configured without knowing how everything is currently setup. You obviously don't need NAT routing if you are currently just using a switch. Also, if you already have a firewall, you could turn that off in the Linksys router.

The best advice I can give you, considering the information you've given us, is to shut off the Firewall and DHCP server in the Linksys router, give it an IP address outside your current DHCPs range but within the same subnet. Then get rid of the switch and just use the Linksys router if it has enough ports. With this setup the router will be acting as a switch, forwarding your current DHCP, even across the wireless.