Classic Mac software

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
pr0gram the pr0grammer
Donator

Classic Mac software

Post by pr0gram the pr0grammer »

Firstly, is there a serial terminal app for classic Macs that can use the Text-To-Speech system (Macintalk?) so I can send it some text via the serial port and have it read it out loud?

If not, how do I go about developing software for a classic Mac? I'm fairly familiar with Pascal and I'm getting the hang of C/C++, but what's the best development environment to use?
pr0gram the pr0grammer
BetaArchive retiree | OSBA Expat

pizzaboy192
Staff

Re: Classic Mac software

Post by pizzaboy192 »

You may want to check the Low End Mac Vintage Mac mailing lists (they are linked on the LEM site, but I have school, and don't have the time to link them for you.)
If someone else has more time, maybe they can either link you, or just copy\paste the text about software development that can be done on the classic macs

milatchi
Donator

Post by milatchi »

pr0gram the pr0grammer wrote:Firstly, is there a serial terminal app for classic Macs that can use the Text-To-Speech system (Macintalk?) so I can send it some text via the serial port and have it read it out loud?
LOL WUT?
pr0gram the pr0grammer wrote:how do I go about developing software for a classic Mac? I'm fairly familiar with Pascal and I'm getting the hang of C/C++, but what's the best development environment to use?
It took me forever to remember the name, Macintosh Programmer's Workshop.
I never used it, I know it was the Apple-provided solution for Mac OS programming. I also know it was far outweighed in popularity by MetroWerks' CodeWarrior. That fact alone could mean something
IRIX enthusiast | OSBA refugee

EngiNerd
FTP Access

Post by EngiNerd »

pr0gram the pr0grammer wrote:
how do I go about developing software for a classic Mac? I'm fairly familiar with Pascal and I'm getting the hang of C/C++, but what's the best development environment to use?
It took me forever to remember the name, Macintosh Programmer's Workshop.
I never used it, I know it was the Apple-provided solution for Mac OS programming. I also know it was far outweighed in popularity by MetroWerks' CodeWarrior. That fact alone could mean something
You can download Macintosh Programmer's Workshop directly from Apple FTP site:

ftp://ftp.apple.com/developer/Tool_Ches ... /MPW_etc./

BTW, another IDE used for the Macintosh was Symantec C++ (but this one is still commercial and rare to find)

eraser
FTP Access

Post by eraser »

You can find some development tools for the classic Mac OSes here:

http://machut.valleyofthelights.com/