Install OS from Pen Drive

Tutorials for Operating Systems, Applications etc can be posted here.
tushar_verma_333
FTP Access

Install OS from Pen Drive

Post by tushar_verma_333 »

I recently read an article on how to install an OS from a pen drive but when i tried it I failed since the "boot from" option did not appear so i was wondering of someone could properly explain to me how to install an OS from a pen drive(Ive resorted to doing so because my DVD drive has stopped working)

Zud0
FTP Access

Re: Install OS from Pen Drve

Post by Zud0 »

1. PLZ PLZ write usb-stick instead of "pen-drive", I had to ask wikipedia what it was
2. Look http://translate.google.de/translate?pr ... l=de&tl=en, this explanation is very good (I did it myself that way), but sadly its in german, so I had to use google translator for you, but be assured the text is read- and understandable and if you have questions, aks me!

J.Byrne
Donator

Post by J.Byrne »

If its Vista your trying to install, you should be able to install it within the OS, from the hard drive.
I have no problem with the term "pen drive"...

tushar_verma_333
FTP Access

How can i install it from the hard drive? please explain

J.Byrne
Donator

Post by J.Byrne »

Vista: Just extract the files from the ISO and run the setup prog.

Rob Jansen
Donator

Post by Rob Jansen »

jabster wrote:If its Vista your trying to install, you should be able to install it within the OS, from the hard drive.
I have no problem with the term "pen drive"...
Pen-drive
Thumb-drive
USB-stick
Flash-disk

Pretty much the same, look a like.
I know that somebody comes with an argument, but you know also, they all look a like and are most the same thing.

Frozenport
FTP Access
Location: The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Re: Install OS from Pen Drive

Post by Frozenport »

Jumpdrive anybody?
--=-=-=====

Not all jumpdrives are fast enough to be used for booting an OS.
Part Time Troll - HPC Enthusiast - Spelling Master - Old Fart

ricktendo64
FTP Access

Post by ricktendo64 »

I am having problems with my Vista/Windows 7 installs from USB drives...my Autounatend.xml will not get picked up, any idea as to why?

tushar_verma_333
FTP Access

I have tried a lot of methods and my usb stick just doesnt show up
It gets detected in the BIOS detection but it doesnt give me the option to install the OS from it
I have set the boot priority to the removable disk still it does not work

J.Byrne
Donator

Post by J.Byrne »

Like I've said several times over two threads, extract the ISO to your hard drive, run setup, select custom install and select a partition. It will do a clean install, with the exception of a Windows.old folder on your C: drive that contains all the files from the previously installed OS.

tushar_verma_333
FTP Access

The only problem with that is that i am trying to install a 64 bit OS from a 32 bit OS and the setup cannot be run from windows

J.Byrne
Donator

Post by J.Byrne »

Aah, sorry, didn't realize, just tried running a x64 setup.exe on this x32 OS and it spat out the rudest error message.

tushar_verma_333
FTP Access

I know so is there any other way or will i have to wait till i get a new DVD writer

Zud0
FTP Access

Post by Zud0 »

Have you tried the tool mentioned in the link I posted earlier? Here is a guide in english for the programm, try it, it worked for me!

tushar_verma_333
FTP Access

Zud0-yes i have already tried the tool mentioned above and thar method still does not work for me maybe its a problem with my usb drive
J.Byrne-Ok i tried installing it from using the method you suggested above it does work but it has resulted in a very unstable install of windows 7-build 7000.It keeps freezing even while doing minor tasks such as playing solitaire and it finally gave up today after 2 days of the install and corrupted my entire disk

missingno
FTP Access

Post by missingno »

I don't have the guide off hand, however, a U3 flash drive is an EXCELLENT ISO tool.

Since the U3 platform has both removable storage and emulates a virtual CD drive, you can easily replace the U3 partition with an ISO image of your choice "burned" into the U3 partition... making it easy to boot from since the machine will believe it's a USB CD-ROM drive.

Makes it easy to fix a machine... 'burn' the ISO to the virtual CD drive, copy drivers and a backup to the flash on the stick... boot from the stick's virtual CD... done.
MEDITECH: it's MAGIC!

bob_george33
Donator

Post by bob_george33 »

Not all bios's support boot from usb. Most new bios's should. you can try flashing your bios with the latest update or go to your local computer shop and see how much a second hand dvd drive will cost you.

Rob Jansen
Donator

Post by Rob Jansen »

bob_george33 wrote:you can try flashing your bios with the latest update
I would advise for computer users that cannot handle the system BIOS (just configuring things) you should NOT flash you're BIOS you're self.

If it goes wrong you can throw that motherboard in the garbage.

If the computer is still under warranty bring the PC back to the shop where you got it and let if flash there, if it goes wrong while flashing, it's there fault and not you'res.

IainK
FTP Access

Post by IainK »

In my experience a BIOS will only boot a USB drive if it's formatted FAT 16 LBA, and since FAT 16 is only 2GB then it's unlikely Vista will fit. Possibly multiple USB sticks?
A friend of mine posted a good tutorial about installing XP from a USB pen and it definitely works, but could not get it to work with FAT32
Maybe you could use some of the info here:
http://www.sentire.co.uk/software/softw ... b-pen.html
Last edited by IainK on Thu May 21, 2009 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zamadatix
Donator

Post by zamadatix »

You DO NOT WANT Vista on a usb stick. it took me long enough to get XP running at good speeds... and fit.

I have an ISO of Windows XP Performace edition sp3 USB on my ftp (tell me if anyone finds interest, ill pm em my FTP details, it is not the fastest thing in the world). It installs in about 500mb and works on USB devices obviously (and my favorite part no key and full activation including updates).

If you install XP on a USB stick remove the pagefile from it disable indexing and logging then put explorer.exe and your programs on a second drive.

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

Read, this is not about installing an OS to a flash drive, but from a flash drive

zamadatix
Donator

Post by zamadatix »

I was trying to help IainK with:
IainK wrote: A friend of mine posted a good tutorial about installing XP on a USB pen and it definitely works, but could not get it to work with FAT32

But you are right, the topic is about installing FROM them

IainK
FTP Access

Post by IainK »

Oh dear me, the link I posted was actually for installing from a USB pen but somewhere along the line my brain decided to post the entire opposite! I will edit that prior post.

BigMark
FTP Access

Post by BigMark »

Just last week I used a 2GB stick formatted with FAT32 (I think) to install WinXP SP3.
It worked well.
I used WinToFlash.
All I had to do was Expand the Windows XP SP3 ISO (Using WinRar) and Point WinToFlash to that folder.
It reformatted the usb stick. So I am guessing it put the right formatting, since it booted.

There were two problems:
1) The boot.ini was all wrong after the install, I had to make adjustments after the install.
Maybe putting the USB stick into the computer shifts the drive assignments for windows.
2) I tried some minor ISO customizations, like put in the serial number and user name ahead of time.
That made the installation not pass the very first boot partition selection screen.
So don't mess w/ the image.
Use nLite for customizing the image.