BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 58d, 18h, 47m | CPU: 10% | MEM: 6219MB of 10934MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Question(kinda stupid)        Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:34 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074
i have a lenovo n200
dual core 2 ghz
1 gb ram
128 video

it is possible to install windows 98 on it and get drivers for it cause i can only find drivers on homepage of lenovo for vista and xp,so can i get it done ? :D
(i love windows 98,its my favorite)

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Question(kinda stupid)        Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:49 pm 
you could try to look for drivers at producers sites of your components in laptop. But it think you should stay with xp or vista. 98 sux in this times :P

and you will probably have problems with hdd if it's sata :P but maybe you will find drivers for it

PostPost subject: Re: Question(kinda stupid)        Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:00 pm 
Donator

I don't see the point to this, DOS based OS's are incredibly unstable, and IIRC 98 won't support that much RAM. If its the look and feel your after, why not go with 2000 or NT4?
You'd be wasting those specs.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Question(kinda stupid)        Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:13 pm 
But it's his favourite :P

PostPost subject: Re: Question(kinda stupid)        Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:37 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
Short answer, no. Support for 98 was dropped for a very good reason, it is old and out of date, not to mention a lot of modern software won't even run on it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Question(kinda stupid)        Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:00 pm 
Donator

Why don't people try to actually help instead of mentioning one reason after another to drop this? The topic of this post is not to discuss whether this makes sense or not, but whether it can be done.

To get back on topic, you could just try to install Windows 98 on the machine. If you have problems with the HD, look for an AHCI option in the BIOS and disable it (best to do that with no other OS installed). It will, however, use only core of the CPU and while it will recognize 1 GB of RAM, you may run into various problems ranging from the system cache getting too big (easily fixed) to the OS refusing to boot with that amount of RAM (I've experienced this, only fix was to limit the amount of RAM accessible to 800 MB IIRC).

Now, the drivers are a real problem. For graphics, you could try this. For the other stuff – you're on your own.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Question(kinda stupid)        Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:49 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
Has the thought ever occured to you that telling the OP that they have no chance in hell of getting 98 drivers for such modern hardware is helpful? At the end of the day, we cannot offer him a magic solution if one does not exist. If he wants to run 98 then that is up to him, I was just trying to point out that he will be doing it with no drivers and very little modern application support.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Question(kinda stupid)        Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:04 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Whistler
He has more of a chance top be able to use WMD drivers on Windows 98 as it has the newer Driver Model:

Quote:
Windows 98 was the first operating system to use the Windows Driver Model (WDM). This fact was not well published when Windows 98 was released and most hardware producers continued to develop drivers for the older driver standard, VxD. The WDM standard spread years after its release, mostly through Windows 2000 and Windows XP, because these systems are not compatible with the older VxD standard. Today, even if hardware producers are not developing drivers optimized for Windows 98, the drivers written to WDM standards are compatible with Windows 98–based systems.

So yeah, a Windows 2000 WDM driver should work with Windows 98, maybe not stable, but it would still work.

*Kicks his POS VPN for not letting him login*

My Mark; Shall you RIP. 15/06/1960 - 11/04/2014

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Question(kinda stupid)        Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:26 am 
Donator

You'd be better off installing it in a VM of some sort.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Question(kinda stupid)        Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:10 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
Alexsis wrote:
He has more of a chance top be able to use WMD drivers on Windows 98 as it has the newer Driver Model:

Quote:
Windows 98 was the first operating system to use the Windows Driver Model (WDM). This fact was not well published when Windows 98 was released and most hardware producers continued to develop drivers for the older driver standard, VxD. The WDM standard spread years after its release, mostly through Windows 2000 and Windows XP, because these systems are not compatible with the older VxD standard. Today, even if hardware producers are not developing drivers optimized for Windows 98, the drivers written to WDM standards are compatible with Windows 98–based systems.

So yeah, a Windows 2000 WDM driver should work with Windows 98, maybe not stable, but it would still work.

*Kicks his POS VPN for not letting him login*

The problem with that however is that almost all reasonably modern WDM graphics drivers are written to take advantage of NT APIs, I couldn't see them working overly well on 98 in all honesty.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Question(kinda stupid)        Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:44 am 
Donator

Shane wrote:
Has the thought ever occured to you that telling the OP that they have no chance in hell of getting 98 drivers for such modern hardware is helpful?

Yes, I know that.

Shane wrote:
If he wants to run 98 then that is up to him, I was just trying to point out that he will be doing it with no drivers and very little modern application support.

That's what I mean. If he wants to do it it's his decision and eventually he'll decide if it's worth it or not. All I wanted to say is that instead of telling him why it won't work one could also try to find a way to make it work, at least partially.

If my post was a little harsh I apologise, it wasn't meant to be. OK?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Question(kinda stupid)        Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:17 am 
FTP Access

Well, with all honesty, I doubt it would run on a gig of RAM.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Question(kinda stupid)        Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:10 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Neptune/Whistler2419/Linux Mint
i agree with happy dude, install windows 98 in vmware or virtualpc 2007 and run the virtual machine in full screen mode and then it will feel like your still running windows 98.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Question(kinda stupid)        Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:15 am 
Donator

betaluva wrote:
i agree with happy dude, install windows 98 in vmware or virtualpc 2007 and run the virtual machine in full screen mode and then it will feel like your still running windows 98.

Agreed, and VMWare tools will let you run 98 at the resolution you currently use.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Question(kinda stupid)        Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:37 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
empireum wrote:
That's what I mean. If he wants to do it it's his decision and eventually he'll decide if it's worth it or not. All I wanted to say is that instead of telling him why it won't work one could also try to find a way to make it work, at least partially.

Ok, no problem

Quote:

98 can run on a gig of ram, I believe I have ran it on a machine with 2GB of DDR before, but due to the inefficiency of its memory management, and because of its 16 bit dos subsystem it cannot utilise more than a gig, although it doesn't cause it to crash as such.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Question(kinda stupid)        Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:37 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074
Shane wrote:
empireum wrote:

Ok, no problem

Quote:

98 can run on a gig of ram, I believe I have ran it on a machine with 2GB of DDR before, but due to the inefficiency of its memory management, and because of its 16 bit dos subsystem it cannot utilise more than a gig, although it doesn't cause it to crash as such.

:| i tryed to install it but i cant...
it gives me an error and restarts...

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Question(kinda stupid)        Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:51 pm 
FTP Access

Is the error a windows protection error by any chance?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Question(kinda stupid)        Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:40 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
Again, I don't mean to offend, but if you are hell bent on running 98 get a machine roughly from its era to run it. There is honestly no point having a powerful modern computer to run an OS that will not even come close to making use of it. Because 98 is old and no longer supported, you will be unlikely to get it to work.

Best advice I can give you: Run XP on your computer, and just run 98 from within a VM if you are hell bent on using it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Question(kinda stupid)        Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:08 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074
Shane wrote:
Again, I don't mean to offend, but if you are hell bent on running 98 get a machine roughly from its era to run it. There is honestly no point having a powerful modern computer to run an OS that will not even come close to making use of it. Because 98 is old and no longer supported, you will be unlikely to get it to work.

Best advice I can give you: Run XP on your computer, and just run 98 from within a VM if you are hell bent on using it.

can you recomand me a virtual machine with aditions for 98 ?
virtualbox ?
virtual pc ?
vmware ?

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Question(kinda stupid)        Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:10 pm 
FTP Access

Virtual PC and VMware both have tools packages for 98 - I'd recommend VMware Workstation as it tends to give better performance and has more features than Virtual PC, though either will be ok. Be sure to use 98 Second Edition as it had fewer bugs that the original 98.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Question(kinda stupid)        Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:08 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074
Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
Virtual PC and VMware both have tools packages for 98 - I'd recommend VMware Workstation as it tends to give better performance and has more features than Virtual PC, though either will be ok. Be sure to use 98 Second Edition as it had fewer bugs that the original 98.

ok thanks homie :P

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Question(kinda stupid)        Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:53 pm 
Donator

If one likes to pay for software and dislikes copyright infringement I can recommend VirtualBox. It's got great support for older versions, got three VMs running 98, NT4 and 3.11.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Question(kinda stupid)        Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:12 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS X 10.6.3 :D
VMWARE is pretty good and thats what I use, 2nd choice is Virtual Box by SUN.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Question(kinda stupid)        Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:35 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
MS-DOS 3.30a & Windows/386!
I would second virtual box, as it'll allow you to use USB periphials, like VMWare, but it's free!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Question(kinda stupid)        Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:28 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
VMWare is good, but it isn't free. Virtual PC is more limited but is free

Haven't tried any of the others

Top  Profile