Laptop for 180 bucks

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
constrictor
Donator

Laptop for 180 bucks

Post by constrictor »

Should i get it. It comes with Vista Home Premium, 1gb of ram, 160gb hard drive, AMD x64. I really don't know complete specs but it is fairly new and my friend needs money for ski school so he is selling it to me for 180 dollars. BTW it is a compaq.

Sparky195

Post by Sparky195 »

Seems pretty good acaully but it seems like its used...

find out what condition its in if its in good condition its pretty good I'd get it but its up to you if you want to spend your money.(I personally hate compaqs tho)

E: find out the graphics card

happy dude
Donator

Post by happy dude »

Do it

constrictor
Donator

Post by constrictor »

Me and my grandpa are going to my friends house if i can get into contact with him tomorrow. He's loaning me 180 bucks as im short on cash right now but i was planning on making it a Hackbook lol. Good ol' osx86

J.Byrne
Donator

Post by J.Byrne »

Seems like a good deal, I'd go for it.

constrictor
Donator

Post by constrictor »

Yeah i am. Just hoping he's home tomorrow.

J.Byrne
Donator

Post by J.Byrne »

constrictor wrote:Yeah i am. Just hoping he's home tomorrow.
The copy of Vista installed on the laptop, is it legit?

hypr
Donator

Post by hypr »

it seems like a good deal, Vista wouldn't really be my first choice on a laptop though...

Derf
Donator

Post by Derf »

hypr wrote:it seems like a good deal, Vista wouldn't really be my first choice on a laptop though...
What's wrong with putting Windows Vista on a laptop? Windows Vista's fine on 99.9% of all laptops sold over the past three, or four years. I purchased this laptop in February 2006, a MacBook Pro, and it's been running Windows Vista fine ever since the CTPs.

Don't let the uninformed affect your decision, Windows Vista works fine on laptops.

happy dude
Donator

Post by happy dude »

Derf wrote:
hypr wrote:it seems like a good deal, Vista wouldn't really be my first choice on a laptop though...
What's wrong with putting Windows Vista on a laptop? Windows Vista's fine on 99.9% of all laptops sold over the past three, or four years. I purchased this laptop in February 2006, a MacBook Pro, and it's been running Windows Vista fine ever since the CTPs.

Don't let the uninformed affect your decision, Windows Vista works fine on laptops.
Sadly, after two years, it's still word-of-mouth meaning that people still refuse to touch Vista with a ten foot pole.

constrictor
Donator

Post by constrictor »

I don't mind vista. I mean i run it on my desktop with only 1gb of ram. However im prolly just going to make this an osx86 machine anyways and ill probably keep it on dual boot just incase.

Shane
FTP Access

Post by Shane »

The only laptops that I know OSX really runs flawlessly on is some brands of netbook, running it on unsupported hardware can still be a bit flaky, unless you have a specific Need for OSX, I would recommend strongly against running it for anything other than the purposes of testing, dualbooting tbh just wastes disk space when Vista or even XP would run flawlessly on that machine
i7-2700K @ 4.8 GHZ, Kandalf LCS, ATI 6950, 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP, Asus ROG Maximus IV Extreme-Z, 60GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD

Sparky195

Post by Sparky195 »

happy dude wrote:
Derf wrote:

Sadly, after two years, it's still word-of-mouth meaning that people still refuse to touch Vista with a ten foot pole.

I think vista is WAY better than XP by SOO much. once i got my vista laptop I LOVED IT. easy to use, Fast (everyone said its slow as hell), and it works fine for me i'll never go back to XP no matter what

J.Byrne
Donator

Post by J.Byrne »

Lets not go turning this into an XP V. Vista thread eh? I'm way to tired to argue about something like that.
People should use the OS that does what they want it to do, and what each person wants their OS to do varies from person to person, and so, there'd be something terribly wrong if we all used the same OS.

Sparky195

Post by Sparky195 »

I agree totally. it mainly depends on what fits you best and what you use it for.
And if we made this into a XP vs V thread it would be pretty long eh. lol.

happy dude
Donator

Post by happy dude »

So in conclusion, buy the laptop.

constrictor
Donator

Post by constrictor »

Well to my unknowing my other friend who wasn't gonna buy it ended up getting it ahead of me. So it looks like yet another good deal passed me.

J.Byrne
Donator

Post by J.Byrne »

constrictor wrote:Well to my unknowing my other friend who wasn't gonna buy it ended up getting it ahead of me. So it looks like yet another good deal passed me.
That's a shame eh...

Sparky195

Post by Sparky195 »

aww man that sucks :\

buy it from him lol

chantawut

Post by chantawut »

buy a new one

Thlump
Donator

Re: Laptop for 180 bucks

Post by Thlump »

constrictor wrote:BTW it is a compaq.
Compaq computers aren't too good. I had a Compaq laptop with Windows XP Pro with a Intel Pentium 4 with 768 MB of RAM, yet it still runs slow because of the CPU... The CPU is is even older than the laptop itself(Laptop was made 2-3 years ago but the CPU was made in Jan 2003)

happy dude
Donator

Re: Laptop for 180 bucks

Post by happy dude »

Thlump wrote:
constrictor wrote:BTW it is a compaq.
Compaq computers aren't too good. I had a Compaq laptop with Windows XP Pro with a Intel Pentium 4 with 768 MB of RAM, yet it still runs slow because of the CPU... The CPU is is even older than the laptop itself(Laptop was made 2-3 years ago but the CPU was made in Jan 2003)
]

You cant blame a processor on a company. Pentium 4's were the norm in laptops a few years back, which was the stupidest thing ever done.