BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 53d, 9h, 53m | CPU: 19% | MEM: 5705MB of 10731MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Run Windows on PS2        Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:13 pm 

Hi. How I can run any Windows system on PlayStation 2 :?: Please help me :P[/i]

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:16 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Whistler
Um...do you know what type of CPU is actually in a Play Station 2!? :|

Good luck on getting it done.

My Mark; Shall you RIP. 15/06/1960 - 11/04/2014

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:19 pm 
FTP Access

That'd be a bit tough. Presuming the existence of homebrew solutions that would let you run your own code on PS2, you'd need to load up an x86 emulator, create a virtual machine, and install Windows to a USB hard drive/thumb drive/whatever.

This solution would be unbearably slow. Windows XP running on the PlayStation 3 under similar conditions takes something in the ballpark of 20 minutes to boot. The processors are simply too different, and moreover the PS2 simply doesn't have the RAM, meaning any free space left on your drive would be virtual RAM. If you were using an external hard drive which actually has the room for this, it would be slower than a glacier. If you used a thumb drive, I doubt you'd have room on it to do anything useful after it finally got you to the desktop.

If you really want Windows running on your TV, just shell out $300 for your aunt's old computer, format the hard drive, reinstall Windows, and hook it up to your TV's SVideo input. If it doesn't have one of those, get a graphics card or accessory that has composite/component/HDMI/whatever output.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:41 pm 

But I find this http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/lin ... uxps2.html But this is Linux, not Windows...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:43 pm 
FTP Access

Linux is open source, so it's easier to recompile for different processor architectures. Windows would have to be emulated.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:43 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
I thought that the PS3 CPU was an PowerPC one.
But I can be totally wrong.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:44 pm 

Can I run this Linux from PenDrive on PS2 :?:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:45 pm 
FTP Access

PS3 does use PowerPC...which is world apart from x86. It was a very big to-do when Apple remade OSX for x86 after years of PowerPC support. Their next OS, Snow Leopard, won't have any PowerPC support at all.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:58 pm 

Can somebody give link to linux for PS2, and give little instruction how install this on pendrive :?:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:01 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Whistler
betamaster wrote:
Can somebody give link to linux for PS2, and give little instruction how install this on pendrive :?:

Here: http://www.google.com.au/search?num=50& ... arch&meta=

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:12 pm 

And I have to install this first from real computer :?: And another question. I have NT 4 for Power PC. How install this on PenDrive :?:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:00 pm 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
Its hard to tell if your kidding... NT 4 for PowerPC was for very specific hardware (~ 6 systems), it will not run on PS2.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:13 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Whistler
betamaster wrote:
And I have to install this first from real computer :?: And another question. I have NT 4 for Power PC. How install this on PenDrive :?:

Are you expecting something as simple as inserting a CD into your PS2 and it installing? Or transfering an OS to a thumbdrive and it magically working? (Directed at Windows Installation)

NOT going to happen, it's hard enough to even install the NT 4 on a PPC system that supports it (One tiny hardware change and boom, not going to work) let alone on a gaming platform with a CPU that has so many different argument changes and hardware differences then the original hardware it was designed to work on (barely designed to work on I should add).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:32 pm 
Donator

I'm think that the PS3 uses a heavily modified PowerPC64, while the other PCs use stock PowerPC Processors.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:10 pm 
FTP Access

Windows OCManage wrote:
I'm think that the PS3 uses a heavily modified PowerPC64, while the other PCs use stock PowerPC Processors.

PCs don't use PowerPC. PowerPC is IBM; they made chips for Macs until Apple began transitioning to Intel. Intel's architecture is called x86, and now x64 for 64 bit chips.

PowerPC = older Macs
x86/x64 = PCs

Just trying to keep everybody straight on their history.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:51 pm 
Permanently Banned

olivergringold wrote:
Windows OCManage wrote:

PCs don't use PowerPC. PowerPC is IBM; they made chips for Macs until Apple began transitioning to Intel. Intel's architecture is called x86, and now x64 for 64 bit chips.

PowerPC = older Macs
x86/x64 = PCs

Just trying to keep everybody straight on their history.

Older IBM systems circa 1996 have been known to come equipped with PowerPC cpu's. It's not the same implementation that Apple uses though, Apple used OpenFirmware and I know IBM did not.

BTW, the PS2 uses some type of MIPS cpu, and when you look at NT for MIPS and PowerPC it's not really too much the CPU support, it would support those CPU's in theroy but it depends on your other hardware and what firmware they use. A lot of firmware solutions are pretty universal, ie: you can have x86 boards with OpenFirmware.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:12 am 
FTP Access

Zimmy wrote:
Older IBM systems circa 1996 have been known to come equipped with PowerPC cpu's. It's not the same implementation that Apple uses though, Apple used OpenFirmware and I know IBM did not.

The Apple chipsets might not have been IBM, but PowerPC is a processor architecture made by IBM. IBM made the central processing units for Apple until 2004, and even a little bit after that until Apple launched the Mac Pro.

IBM still makes the PowerPC chips that power the PS3, XBox 360, and Nintendo Wii. The reasons the Big Three continue going to IBM instead of Intel are a) the chips are cheaper since certain features, like large caches and out-of-order execution are removed and b) IBM has better floating point performance.

To review in summary: Hardware makers have used different chipsets and different firmware, but two things stay constant: IBM makes central processing units, and Intel makes central processing units. The architecture for the former is called "PowerPC," the latter is called "x86" or, lately, "x64."

/rant

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:22 am 
Im pretty sure that it's not possbile :S

PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:58 am 
The fastest and easiest way to install linux on playstations is: for playstation2 - buy PS2 Linux Kit official from sony computer entertainment read about it here: http://playstation2-linux.com/, for PS3 - buy Yellowdog Linux specially designed for playstation3. Playstation3 uses new Cell processor, it is not PowerPC, it is a new Sony and IBM project.[/url]

PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:11 pm 
FTP Access

007russghost wrote:
The fastest and easiest way to install linux on playstations is: for playstation2 - buy PS2 Linux Kit official from sony computer entertainment read about it here: http://playstation2-linux.com/, for PS3 - buy Yellowdog Linux specially designed for playstation3. Playstation3 uses new Cell processor, it is not PowerPC, it is a new Sony and IBM project.[/url]

Cell is very definitely PowerPC. In addition to Sony, Toshiba is also getting some chips to put into laptops. They showed them off at CES a year or so ago but there hasn't been any word about them since. Sony did not manufacture the CELL...they just licensed it and paid to have it fabricated. It is IBM's chip, right down to the transistor. Yes, its architecture is more or less PowerPC.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:05 pm 
FTP Access

I seen people loading XP and Vista using QEMU on the PS3.

AFAIK the author of one Vista-in-PS3 video says that installation takes 4 hours.
It's normal, Qemu is a [s]FAST![/s] SLOW! PC emulator (just kidding with the HTML user docs).

(how can I strikeout on this forum?)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:31 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
HP keystroke RPL
First get the Linux for PS2 development kit, then install it.

Now, you need to hack QEMU to compile for your ancient custom built Sony/Toshiba processor, this shouldn't take more than a few weeks of rewriting the assembly code.

Now, run QEMU, remember you only have 32 mb of RAM, and about 80% of that will probably be used by your X server. So you'll want to set it to use about 1-2 MB of ram, that's probably enough for Windows 2.0

There, you're now running Windows on your PS2.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:08 pm 

Can I legally download somewhere this linux for me PS2 :?:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:27 pm 
Donator

betamaster wrote:
Can I legally download somewhere this linux for me PS2 :?:

Not unless you have a modchipped PS2 which is technically illegal. I'm pretty sure you can pay over the internet for it and have it sent to your house though.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:08 am 
I was able to run linux on my old ps2 with the extension. Nothing too fast but was fun for a while, I run ubuntu on my ps3 now and got windows running through VM software.