BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 52d, 20h, 16m | CPU: 27% | MEM: 6106MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: [req. good advice] - unable to detect samsung SSD during ins        Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:22 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
OSX
Hi,

I'v bought one of these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820147015

That i put into my Compaq Evo N410c (nice little laptop)

Anyway, when i boot from a winxp installation cd and try to install (same with win2k3) it dosent detect the driver - however, longhorn and vista is working fine..

Any suggestions ?

Run OSX on a pc - Ahsay backup monitoring - Online Backup

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:50 pm 
Administrator

You most likely have the "native SATA" setting enabled in the BIOS... XP doesn't work with that mode unless you got F6 drivers ready. Vista supports it out of the box however. Look in the bios for "native SATA" or "AHCI" and disable it. If you see something along "IDE compatibility mode then" enable it.

Or just get the AHCI drivers for XP and use those. They must be put on a floppy drive tho, and during initial XP setup boot press F6 and you'll have the choice to select the drivers.

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: ...        Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:55 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
OSX
Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

I dont have any such option in bios, and i allready checked samsungs site for a useable .inf driver - but with no success - the weird part is also that the SSD wont allow to be mounted as an external usb disk (on no OS.. not even Linux or OSX)

The SSD works perfect besides that - its incredible how fast they are compared to normal disk.

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:55 pm 
Donator

Initially I was thinking the same, however he's using an IDE drive so this doesn't apply. Furthermore, the laptop is a slightly older model so even if it had SATA ports it would most likely not support AHCI anyway.

It looks as if the problem is a missing driver so we may be on to something. Did it work fine when a HD was installed?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: ...        Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:07 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
OSX
ohh ya.. Longhorn and vista works great.. but vista is a bit evil on a 1,2ghz machine.

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:23 pm 
Administrator

The driver i was talking about isn't for the drive itself, but for the controller in the PC. But if you don't have a SATA interface/drive then it doesn't apply.

If the SSD is an IDE drive and it doesn't work with XP then perhaps the drive needs a firmware update. I've seen this problem before the SSD is actually a SATA drive with a built in IDE bridge. Usually a firmware update is needed, or a BIOS update for the PC. And if it's an IDE drive, check the jumpers on it... however it still does sound strange that it works in Vista but not in XP, since both can utilize IDE drives without any drivers. XP only need drivers if it's an AHCI/EHCI drive or a bus drive (PCI-express/PCI drive etc). So there must be something "special" with the drive that ticks XP off. From what I can read the drive is only ATA33-compliant, perhaps the IDE controller tells XP it's a faster drive or something and XP fails to read it... I don't know, but check the BIOS for ATA modes.

I guess you tried with an slipstreamed installer disc (XP with SP3)? You can also try to see if the BIOS allows you to change the IDE mode. Just to see if XP detects it in any other mode.

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW