BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 0d, 11h, 33m | CPU: 45% | MEM: 1873MB of 3609MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

Why do you think the screens are always set at 1024x768?
To pss some if not all of us off 72%  72%  [ 18 ]
Because some specialized application require a certain screen resoulution 28%  28%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 25
 PostPost subject: 1024x768 screen resolution        Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:42 pm 
FTP Access

Recently at the school I got to, there is a certain IT room that has shiny new computers with 19-inch LCD screens with a native resolution of 1280x1024, but the IT manager insists on the screen resolution beign set at 1024x768 for all the PCs. This is annoying, because the screen looks fuzzy and gives me a headache, even if I don't stare at it for long, whereas if I set ti to 1280x1024, I can see everything confortably, even though everything appears smaller.

Why do you think that the IT manager insists on the screens beign set at 1024x768 all the time?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:56 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
Maybe they have some older screens that only can do 1024x786?

But as you said, you can change it higher, so I dont so any problem.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:07 pm 
FTP Access

It is on the machines that are brand new and have ATI HD 2400 graphics. Why insist that a screen that has a native resolution of 1280x1024 be set at 1024x768. Yes, I can change the resolution to the screen's native one, but next time I power up the PC again, it has defaulted back to the 1024x768 one! :x

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:10 pm 
FTP Access

why don't you just tell him about that? and it should be possible to change the screen resolution without admin rights, too ...

well for me it's just strange that in our school vista aero is always disabled alghough it is supported and can be enabled. But it's kind of a symbol for those who knows much about computers ;D
and i hate it if old applications won't run with our vista x64. e.g. we only have office 2000 ... and it won't run under vista. So for most students it's vistas guilt that they don't know much about the installed openoffice :| that's annoying

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:33 pm 
FTP Access

Yes, obviously, my school account doesn't have admin rights, but I am suprised at your school they have Vista. I wonder why they have aero turned off?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:26 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
The reason is simple. Readability. Some people in your school might not have very good eyesight, so to comply with certain laws regarding disabilities, they have to make the screen readable for every single person. My college did the same thing until so many people complained they made a petition. Not one person submitted a request to keep it on 1024x768, so they changed to 1280x1024. Only the teachers accounts remained on 1024x768 to accompany the projectors, which only coped with that resolution or lower.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:02 pm 
FTP Access

Our school does that too - the 1024x768 game.
Weirdly enough the graphics settings "stick" between users, even though our settings clear at logout.

And of course, with Intel's graphics alongside Dell rotatable monitors... people leave the monitor rotated in the software even though it's at normal orientation physically.

The librarian threatened to shut down the lab because she didn't know how to set them back.

I had to write a quick how-to on how to fix the damn things.

For Christ's sake people - CTRL+ALT+UP before you log out, please! And PLEASE don't hit the black button on the LCD panels' back - it releases the panel from the stand >_>

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:32 pm 
Permanently Banned

Andy wrote:
The reason is simple. Readability. Some people in your school might not have very good eyesight, so to comply with certain laws regarding disabilities, they have to make the screen readable for every single person. My college did the same thing until so many people complained they made a petition. Not one person submitted a request to keep it on 1024x768, so they changed to 1280x1024. Only the teachers accounts remained on 1024x768 to accompany the projectors, which only coped with that resolution or lower.

+10. Without my glasses I can't even see 800x600 decently, my vision is that crappy. I don't think Windows has the ability to change a resolution for a single user like MacOS does, thus they lock it out. Schools need to make sure any student (or faculty member at that) has the ability to use all the resources available to them, thus if a blind student enrolled in a school they would have to put in a system with a speech reader and basic braile input. Now if you could set a resolution for your profile only, and when you log off it would return to 1024x768, i would say they should let you adjust it at your will.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:33 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Zimmy wrote:
Andy wrote:

+10. Without my glasses I can't even see 800x600 decently, my vision is that crappy. I don't think Windows has the ability to change a resolution for a single user like MacOS does, thus they lock it out. Schools need to make sure any student (or faculty member at that) has the ability to use all the resources available to them, thus if a blind student enrolled in a school they would have to put in a system with a speech reader and basic braile input. Now if you could set a resolution for your profile only, and when you log off it would return to 1024x768, i would say they should let you adjust it at your will.

It can be done through active directory profiles etc but it wasn't worth the hassle. In the end they set the resolution to a set size except for the teachers.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:57 am 
Donator

I voted for the first one that is true atleast on some computers at my school. They run them so low its amazing because the crts can clearly do 1280x1024 and have it still readable for everyone but they like the lower res. On the faster computers its set to native resolution.
The point is the resolution is too big and is a pain like for the orginial poster and cause I cant change it when I need to view somthing big. Its only a problem then.

Last edited by win98 on Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:06 am 
Permanently Banned

win98 wrote:
I voted for the first one that is true atleast on some computers at my school. They run em so low its amazing because the crts can clearly do 1280x1024 and have it still readable for everyone but they like the lower res. On the faster computers its set to native resolution.

someone needs to shoot you.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:26 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
win98 wrote:
I voted for the first one that is true atleast on some computers at my school. They run em so low its amazing because the crts can clearly do 1280x1024 and have it still readable for everyone but they like the lower res. On the faster computers its set to native resolution.

1280x1024 + 60Hz = murder

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:10 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
MacOS 9.2.2
1024x768 ftw
1280x768 ftw :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:51 pm 
FTP Access

Well, when I once visited the college I am going to soon, I went to the library, and the only program on the start menu was Internet Explorer, but the internet connection was broken. I looked in the system tray, lo and behold! There was an ATI icon and right clicking it brought up settings for ''Radeon X550'', and I was able to rotate the screen. The librarian caught me and I literally pssd myself and ran away as fast as I could! When I dared return, (the librariaan has a bad memory of people), she was still trying to figure out how to get the display back to normal again. :D

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:10 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
HP keystroke RPL
If you can't read 1280x1024 on a 19" you shouldn't be outside, put on your glasses and stop complaining, or just move closer.

And my school resolution is 2560 x 1160 px
Dual monitor setups own (everyone in my class uses dual monitors (and we have projectors in every room (they do full HD) (and I get paid to go there (my school owns so hard))))

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:35 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
I don't mind 1024x768, but 800x600 really bugs me and I see it a lot more. :x

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:23 pm 
FTP Access

squidward_ wrote:
Yes, obviously, my school account doesn't have admin rights, but I am suprised at your school they have Vista. I wonder why they have aero turned off?

yes we got new computers last year. now we have a lot of rooms with a mix of old computers with win2000, some with xp and some with vista (business, 64bit)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:56 am 
Donator

Tried just being gratefull that you have shiny new computers capable of running at high resolutions?
I'm guessing that either you go to a private school, or public schools are rather well funded were you live.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:59 pm 
FTP Access

I CAN read a screen resolution of 1280x1024 just fine thankyou.

The reason why I was annoyed was because it seems pointless that the screens can give a lot space for working on large word documents, but they aren't been used to their full potential and everything looks squashed.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:29 pm 
FTP Access

squidward_ wrote:
I CAN read a screen resolution of 1280x1024 just fine thankyou.

The reason why I was annoyed was because it seems pointless that the screens can give a lot space for working on large word documents, but they aren't been used to their full potential and everything looks squashed.
What jabster was trying to say is what's the point of arguing what resolution somebody else's computer (or in this way, another's own personal property), when it's not your own? The reason for public usage of a computer is for the mere purpose of acquiring information with the services you are provided. You should be grateful for the fact that you have the ability to actually use a computer to access the internet and information across the globe, rather than arguing what you cannot run on the computer itself, any websites you cannot access, or the fact that other screen resolutions are not accessible by default.

If it makes you feel any better, my music history instructor likes using a screen resolution on his MacBook on the projector at 800x600! Personally, I love it, but get stuff done takes a little more time. 1024x768 I would have to say is near perfect for getting things done, but if you truly are a multi-tasker, then a higher resolution is probably needed. In fact, right now I'm using 800x600, and I recently was using 512x384 to surf the web. It may be tedious for a little while, but remember that it's not permanent and you can still return to your personal home computer whenever you can! :)

Since January 2005, I've been in the Operating Systems Prototype Community. I've enjoyed learning more these past four years about the development of the Windows and Macintosh operating systems, as well as learning of new user-based projects that optimize system performance.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:47 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
HP keystroke RPL
troyoda1990 wrote:
WORDS

This is a p. good fakepost.

and if you didn't notice squidward I was agreeing with you

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:08 pm 
FTP Access

Oh, OK then. :P I once went to visit some person at their house, and their PC had a 19-inch LCD screen, but was only beign used at 1024x768 and I asked them why, and they told me that they use to own a CRT monitor and they are so bad at using a PC, they don't know how to change the screen resolution. :D I had to change it for them!

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:12 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
They all blow
1024x768 is the most supported resolution on a projector.
Plus, windows is usually installed from images on even slightly bigger places.
1024x768 is also the most supported resolution and won't cause any hassle with different configurations since they might use the same image on different machines.
Tech support work blows and they won't get any better pay for switching the resolution on each machine manually, besides no-one else than the poweruser would not care.

As sad as it is but that is just how it is. I even run to oem machines that come with a 22" wide display and use 1024x768, when I offer to change and they can preview they deem it too small. So readability is one thing too (as mentioned) :)

Also more on schools, we had some 'student remoteview' applications where the teacher could browse trough every screen or present a lesson on it's computer and it would show in everyone's screen. Having different resolution in that case would probably have introduced some nice problems.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:17 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
MacOS 9.2.2
Lets be thankful we still arent stuck with the monitors from the Macintosh 128k

512x384!! *pukes*

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:21 am 
FTP Access

longview wrote:
troyoda1990 wrote:
WORDS

This is a p. good fakepost.

and if you didn't notice squidward I was agreeing with you

Fakepost? WTF? I love using smaller resolutions because of my eye sight. And if you don't think I'm serious, I can upload a few screenshots of me getting work done in either 512x384 or 800x600.

Since January 2005, I've been in the Operating Systems Prototype Community. I've enjoyed learning more these past four years about the development of the Windows and Macintosh operating systems, as well as learning of new user-based projects that optimize system performance.

Top  Profile