BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 54d, 12h, 9m | CPU: 12% | MEM: 5772MB of 10831MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: WinFS Beta 1 question        Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:44 pm 
FTP Access

I read an article somewhere about how to get WinFS Beta 1 working on non-Windows XP SP2 systems. Do you think it would be possible to get it working on Windows Vista SP1?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:49 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 8 7955
I tried, I managed to get it to install, but basically nothing worked.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:52 pm 
Donator

yes, but it does not work as winfs should...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:54 pm 
FTP Access

Why, what did you do and what happend? Did it actually install successfully or did it install with errors? Maybe you could show me a screenshot as eveidence?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:46 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
squidward_ wrote:
Why, what did you do and what happend? Did it actually install successfully or did it install with errors? Maybe you could show me a screenshot as eveidence?

Or maybe they might not need to show you evidence.. Just a thought 8-)

Vista and XP are hugely different platforms, you can't expect something designed with a specific platform in mind, before the other platform far from complete at the time, to even begin to function correctly.

And WinFS being WinFS, it's debatable whether it actually functioned at all.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:41 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 8 7955
I had to remove the installer version check (Using Microsoft "Orca") and after that it installed without any errors, but it would give script errors (if i remember correctly) as soon as I opened any part of it.

Edit: Here is an archive with all the files extracted from the WinFS Beta1 Refresh archive from the FTP server, but with the winfs.msi that I removed the version check from (still B1refresh):

Code:
http://www.mediafire.com/?n3mbjcxojcd

Good Luck

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:49 pm 
FTP Access

Do you think I should try it out on Vista installed in VPC or on my actual Vista installation? I know the question might be obvious because this WinFS package is only Beta 1, but if something goes wrong, is it likely to do lots of damage? (I have an up-to-date backup of all my important files).

:wink: Thankyou! :wink:

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:33 pm 
FTP Access

I just have installed it, it installed OK, and there is a blue folder icon called ''WinFS stores'' in Computer/Windows Explorer. When I click it, it does nothing. When I look in Task Manager, I click show all processes and WinFS is nowhere to be seen. I go to \windows\system32\winfs and click WinFS.exe and a command prompt window appears and a message saying:

''The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142). Click OK to terminate the application.''

The when the error reporting dialog box appears, it says the problem was caused by UTNative.dll.

When I try and start WinFS in services.msc, the WinFS services are there, but I can't start any of them! :cry: Please could someone help me as it looks like I have nearly got it working, it is just WinFS.exe that won't start! Thankyou! :wink: :)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:38 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7
And this WinFs.exe file is the heart of the thing. If that file doesnt work, then WinFS will not work....

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:51 pm 
FTP Access

Is there anything I can do to get it working?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:03 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7
You can try editing the registry entries of the WinFS.... Bu, you may harm your system, so be Careful!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:47 pm 
FTP Access

Would you or somebody else you know you know know how do or at least try this please? I have tried WinFS in VPC, so it can't really matter too much if I end up destroying the registry.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:50 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 8 7955
squidward_ wrote:
I just have installed it, it installed OK, and there is a blue folder icon called ''WinFS stores'' in Computer/Windows Explorer. When I click it, it does nothing. When I look in Task Manager, I click show all processes and WinFS is nowhere to be seen. I go to \windows\system32\winfs and click WinFS.exe and a command prompt window appears and a message saying:

''The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142). Click OK to terminate the application.''

The when the error reporting dialog box appears, it says the problem was caused by UTNative.dll.

When I try and start WinFS in services.msc, the WinFS services are there, but I can't start any of them! :cry: Please could someone help me as it looks like I have nearly got it working, it is just WinFS.exe that won't start! Thankyou! :wink: :)

You are exactly at the point I got to, there is nothing else that can be done, the code just does not support Vista on a fundamental level it has nothing to do with the registry entrys. Sorry, there is nothing we can do...

Top  Profile