BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 24d, 6h, 24m | CPU: 49% | MEM: 6817MB of 11399MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: How did you get into beta collecting?        Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:16 am 
FTP Access

Lets start another discussion. I'll begin:
In 2005, I found out there was a HL2 leak. Wanting to compare it to the final version of the game, I torrented it. From there, I downloaded and compared the Doom 3 Alpha and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. alphas to the retail copies. I was mainly downloading video game betas.
Then someone on this forum put up links to Longhorn build 3683 so I downloaded it to see what all the fuss was about. I liked what I saw and started to download more Longhorn builds.
After I was done with Longhorn, I started getting into some Whistler and Chicago builds, and the one Neptune build.

Thats my story in a nutshell.

Who's going next?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:23 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
I was searching for Whistler because I recently heared of it and got to the Betaarchive FTP site (and got a warning that it was not accessible) and I stoped searching for a while, then when I searched again I got to the same page, so I thought, lets go to the root domain of that site and thats how I found this website, read it, and joined.

Thats was back in May 2007.

And from there just joined, getting posts and then downloading from the FTP (the original is offline now) and still making conversation and solving problems (not like many people who post 10 or 15 posts and then start downloading and never return).

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:25 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074
For me, it starded somewhen in 2003 or 2004 when i found little polish website about Longhorn named LonghornXP.prv.pl (now the site is called WinBeta.pl and is propably the bigest polish resource when it comes to Windows betas). Than i've found MSBetas.org but i didn't know english well and i was a n00b, i've made just a few lame posts. I remember first beta that i got on my hands personaly was Longhorn 4074 that i've... bought at polish internet auctions (allegro.pl) for 12PLN (like 3-4 Euro). I had too slow internet to download plus i didn't knew much where to download it from.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:48 am 
FTP Access

That was me who put up the links to Longhorn Build 3683 on this website, didn't you know?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:01 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
For me, it was all my interest in Wndows 1, which led my to ToastyTech. I looked through all the screenshots, and one day (several years after I'd found Windows 1) these screenshots of Chicago 58s appeared, and so I asked Nathan where he got it from, and he told me about this site called osbetaarchive.com, which I joined :). As then, I'm only really interested in Chicago's development (maybe 7's as well, now), and would like to learn as much as possible about it and document it all some day.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:52 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Neptune & Longhorn
I saw a little youtube video about the history of Microsoft. There was a part about windows Neptune, the never released OS. I was searching for more information when i found sites like joejoe.org, flexbeta, and finaly, the betaarchive. I thought it was/is a good site, and i still think so! I downloaded Neptune, and installed it. After that, I downloaded more and more versions, and try them. I think it is funny to collect the betas, and see how a windows version is made.

When I joined betaarchive, DjRob told me somethings about the forum. I liked it, and I posted many news Items, so I could become a Advanced Member. Now this is my most used website every day (without counting google)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:40 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
My dad brought home for me some MS Technet CDs that had Windows 98 Beta3 and NT5 beta 1. This was back in ~1997.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:14 pm 

My dad bought me the Half Life 2 Leak on his holiday (As in the Russian marketed version) ever since then i i have been fascinated with Beta software and anything leaked.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:16 pm 
Permanently Banned

[censored] well i told this story to someone not too long ago (don't fill in what i left out), but someone I know brought me a win2k beta burn, a later 2k not Nt5 or anything but I tried it out and toyed around with it for a while. It was stable enough i kept it around for a while until i obtained real 2000. But like i remember the guy getting me the disc explaining how where he works was hesitant on upgrading to 2000 when it came out, much like companies and vista now. I was like very young at the time so I really never thought much of it but I also had a Whistler beta disc and toyed around with that. nfc what build but it had luna and windows media player still had the full 7 series skin, and not 8. It was rather unique and was stable for the most part.

But like yeah i never really got into it but I tried prerelease 2000, XP, and Vista so I guess I use it more on a normal way, to preview before it's released.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:38 pm 
FTP Access

What really got me intrested in Longhorn builds in the first place was Longhorn Reloaded. But now I use other Longhorn builds/regular build 4074 as this version is very unstable, worst than a regular build 4074 in my opinion. However, I think it can be nice at times to start projects based on alpha/beta builds, eg: Reloaded or Protoplex. It has inspired me to start a project based on Build 4039!

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:49 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
All Microsoft operating systems!
First, I got a manual from a book sale at a library called "Mastering Windows 3.1" from Sybex. I still have this book (although the front and back covers are gone, and I ripped out all the Roldolex cards or whatever they're called), and it has screenshots taken from a Beta of Windows 3.1 (Codenamed Janus), including some that seem to be around Build 40. I remember seeing the strange Control Panel icon (which was used in the early Janus Builds), but I didn't know why it was so different.

Then, either while our "geek" friend was fixing my 1996 Dell Opti-Plex PC with Windows 98 Original and Microsoft Office, or while it was back at the shop where we got it, I was on my old 486 (which was owned by another member of the family by then), and I found these AVI animations from the Windows 95 Help System. They showed a "strange" version of Windows 95 that I had never seen before. It showed the old Windows 3.1 style Arrow (used until Build 189), and it also showed a slightly different set of Close, Maximize/Restore, and Minimize buttons (from Build 122 and Build 189). It also showed other slight differences as well, including the older My Computer icon in the My Computer window (used in Build 122 and Build 189). I thought about having it in real life, but then I thought that no one in the world would have it (which wasn't true, because if it was, this website wouldn't exist).

Then, a year later, one night in a computer lab with a projecter screen and a wireless Keyboard (and some kind of thing that substituted for a mouse, kind of like a Game Controller kind of design), I found some screenshots of Chicago Beta 1, from the Chicago Beta One Reviewers Guide. I didn't know what "Windows Chicago" was, but I looked at the screenshots, and they looked very similar to what I had found the year before in the Windows 95 Help System. That's when I began to know what Betas were.

Then I found some Whistler screenshots with the Luna interface, and then I also heard about Longhorn on Paul Thurrott's WinSuperSite for Windows, and I also saw some screenshots of it there.

Then the next year, I was really intrested in Longhorn after seeing it in my PC World and PC Magazine subscriptions (or at least my PC Magazine subscriptions), and then I also got a manual called "Windows 3.11 for Dummies", and it had a Preview section about Windows 95 in Black text with a Yellow background, instead of a white background like with the rest of the book, and it showed some screenshots of a Beta version of Windows 95 (Build 224). I already kind of knew it was a Beta, since it didn't look new enough to be the retail version, especially since I had already heard about the "$30 Dollar Preview" in the "Windows 95 for Dummies" book (the original First Edition).

And then I also read an article about Internet Explorer vs. Netscape in the June 1997 issue of PC World, and I couldn't believe that it was Internet Explorer 4.0, because it looked so much like Internet Explorer 3.0! It showed screenshots of the Web Integration Technology and everything! It also had a section about this thing called "Memphis", and it even had a small screenshot of a dialog box, which had a list of "Settings Wizards". This dialog box was a part of these "Settings Wizards". Unfortunately that issue is so ripped up now that I can't scan it or anything, since I lost the part about Memphis.

The next spring, I found winhistory.de, and I saw some screenshots of Chicago Build 122, 189, 347 German, and 480 German, but something happened that made it so that I stopped going there for over a year.

Then in the summer, I decided to look for places for old Chicago and Memphis betas. I found OSBetaArchive, but I couldn't view the posts, since it required you to be a member. One day, I decided to try to register, but it required an email account, and I didn't have one that I could use. I had one, but I hadn't used it in months and I already forgot the password, and I think I might have tried logging in and guessing the password, but even if I did, it didn't work. I also got a Windows 95 Manual by Ed Bott, with screenshots of what seems to be Build 347, and it also had screenshots of the "Party Line" game, but I was mainly intrested in Chicago Beta 1, and besides, we had to return it to the library (which was where I was going online at the time, since this was on vacation).

Then, after a while I quit searching for Beta related things for a while, but then in September that year, I found Air101's screenshot place. I found screenshots of a lot of intresting things, and this was at someone's house (that person's computer wasn't working right, but for the most part it was something as simple as a loose Keyboard connection, so this place that was run by Air101 helped pass the time).

Then, the next year (at the same place), I found a Russian website with screenshots of Chicago Build 58s, Chicago Build 73g, Chicago Build 122, Chicago Build 189, Chicago Build 347, and things like that. It helped me get intrested in Betas again, and then I found two websites being run by Air101, with things like Memphis screenshots, and other Chicago screenshots as well. Then in
August, I returned to winhistory.de. I found a lot of screenshots that year, but I still didn't find any builds. Then for a while I lost intrest in betas, until one day (November 16th 2006) when I was searching for things to put in a Windows 3.x based OS that was supposed to have Java support, when I found WinWorld, after "surfing" the Internet for a whole day, looking through websites. It said on the first page that it was "devoted to keeping Old OS's and Betas alive". I checked the server, and it had lot's of things that got me intrested in Betas again. That was at 11:30 PM or something like that. Then the next day I looked for WinWorld, and I had to do the same thing again, but then I checked the server again, and I downloaded Windows 3.00a, Windows 3.1 Codenamed Janus Build 34e, Windows 3.1 Codenamed Janus Build 61d, Chicago Build 58s, Chicago Build 73g, Chicago Build 122, Chicago Build 189, Chicago Build 224 (Damaged), Chicago Build 347 English, Chicago Build 490 English, Nashville Build 999, Memphis Build 1351, Memphis Build 1387, Windows NT 3.1 Build 404, Windows NT 3.1 Workstation, Windows NT 3.1 Server, Windows NT 3.1 Advanced Server, Windows NT 3.5 Codenamed Daytona Build 756, Windows NT 3.51 Workstation, Windows NT 4.0 Workstation, and I think Windows NT 4.0 Shell Update Release Build 1054 as well. I would have downloaded Millenium Build 2380 but I thought it would take too long (because it was over 400MB in size). Then from another website I downloaded Windows 1.01, Windows 2.03, and Windows for Workgroups 3.11 (thinking it was Windows 3.11 because of the file name, but I actually think Windows for Workgroups 3.11 is more intresting). When I thought I was having trouble with the WinWorld server, I also turned to the Forums for help, although I didn't post or anything, I just lurked. That's what got me into forums, and once I became intrested, I started looking around, and became a regular "lurker" there. Then I burned all these things to one full size CD-R and two mini CD-R's, and took them all home. Then, I installed Windows NT 3.51 Workstation. It wasn't a Beta, but it was still intresting since I had never used it before, and I remember the long Readme file. Then I installed Janus Build 34e, but it stopped at the end of Setup and it didn't work right when I tried to start it. I also tried installing Chicago Build 58s, but the Setup program only gave me an error message. Then I discovered OLDSETUP.INF and SETUP31.EXE, and when I looked through OLDSETUP.INF, I had discovered that there was a version of Chicago that installed like Windows 3.1. I tried to rebuild it using files from Chicago Build 58s, but that didn't work right. Then that night, in Windows 98 Second Edition, I used "Quick View Plus" to view the SYSLOGO.RLE file and then, I really became intrested in this early Chicago Build once I saw this "Windows 3.1-like" logo. Then I installed Chicago Build 73g, but the installation got messed up the first time, so I installed it again and it worked! I used it for hours! It was the first time I ever got to use a beta at all! Then I installed Chicago Build 122, but it required a Beta Site ID and Password, which I didn't have. For some reason, I thought it might be shown in a Chicago Build 122 screenshot. After looking for screenshots of Chicago Setup (for Build 122), on the Russian website that I knew of, I finally found a screenshot of Chicago Setup with the Beta Site ID and Password shown. So I took wrote down both numbers, copyed them into Chicago Setup on my own PC, and it worked! :P But for some reason, I could only start it in Safe Mode. But it was fun to use! Then I also installed Chicago Build 189, but the Windows Portion of Setup wouldn't finish, so I had to boot that in Safe Mode as well. Then I tried installing Chicago Build 224, but it was damaged (no SETUP.EXE), and I tried repairing the Setup Program using files from Build 189, but that didn't work. Then I installed Chicago Build 347 English, but I ran into the Timb Bomb. Then I installed Nashville Build 999, and then, on an old Gateway 2000 system, I installed Memphis Build 1351 from a CD I burned with the Setup files. I would have installed Memphis Build 1387 as well, but it wasn't uncompressed yet, and so it would have taken too much space to remove Memphis Build 1351, decompress it, then delete the RAR Archive after copying it from the CD-R, and then install it.

Then on the other PC, I also installed the Windows NT 4.0 Shell Update Release Build 1054, and it was pretty intresting, and I was also planning to make custom version of Windows out of it that updated Windows NT 3.51 based on this update, and even started working on it, but I decided not to.

That's how I became intrested in Betas. It's already a long story, and since I already posted the rest of it elsewhere, it would probably be too much to post the whole story, but what I just posted is how I became intrested in Betas.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:15 pm 
Permanently Banned

WinPC wrote:
snip!!!

ffs dude, sparknotes that story.

add: lemme know when it comes out on paperback, i'll be much more inclined to read it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:17 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
WFW 3.11/Win 98SE
Zimmy wrote:
WinPC wrote:
snip!!!

ffs dude, sparknotes that story.

add: lemme know when it comes out on paperback, i'll be much more inclined to read it.

rofl!

anywho, betas in general, i got interested when i first stumbled on the old sonic 2 beta years back, back when windows 98 was awesome (still is, but that's another story), as for OS betas, i was on wikipedia, screwing around to kill time during web design class, when i read about windows neptune, i thought it be pretty cool to have, the first site i found accidentally "lost" the key to the rar archive, then i stumbled on this site when i saw the error screen you used to get when you try to access the ftp from a search engine.

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:41 am 

WinPC wrote:
First, I got a manual from a book sale at a library called "Mastering Windows 3.1" from Sybex. I still have this book (although the front and back covers are gone, and I ripped out all the Roldolex cards.
I have that book in perfect condition.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:25 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
OS 7
I got into Betas when an exgf's Cousin who worked for M$ dropped a copy of NTSVR5 Build 1848 on me when I started asking about the next ver of windows ... then I signed up for and got .NET Betas .... and used to get the @ a company I worked for through MSDN ...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:26 pm 
Permanently Banned

Superbird wrote:
WinPC wrote:
First, I got a manual from a book sale at a library called "Mastering Windows 3.1" from Sybex. I still have this book (although the front and back covers are gone, and I ripped out all the Roldolex cards.
I have that book in perfect condition.

I have quite a few older computer books but they're mostly packed away, but I found 2 on my shelf worth mentioning.

#1 is a beginners book on Visual C++ 4.0, which is interesting and retro in it's own way as it discusses the Win32 API, porting from 16bit to 32bit, build apps for Windows 95 (which came out about 2 months after this book's first pub), and supposevily it discusses porting MFC applications to 68k MacOS (which, while it's on the cover, it makes absouletly no mention of it in the actual book). It also includes WinNT 3.51 (which i grew up with) screenshots and various references to CompuServe (PRE-AOL). ISBN 1-55828-475-3. This book was aquired at a library booksale. Our library has a nice booksale, you get a paper grocery bag and you get all the books you can fit in the bag for only $2. This was bought in the sale in the year we transitioned from a library building smaller than my house to the new building.

#2 is the 7th Edition of Peter Nortons Inside the PC. This book was published in late 1997, and discusses things I grew up with, Windows 95, Pentium and Pentium II pc's, Laptop PC's (which has descriptions that are FAR different of laptop-desktop comparisons than the laptop's we have today), and discusses the Internet during the .com bust, which means you won't find any mention of Web 2.0 in here. It primarily takes a point in view with Windows 95 (and Dell PC's) but it does discuss other operating systems, including 98 beta. ISBN 0-672-31041-4

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:10 pm 
Donator

How did I get into beta collecting?

I never did. I just download a build sometimes, maybe play with it for 5 minutes then delete it.

:)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:34 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
Hm... I knew about betas looong time ago before I started to search. A computer magazine here in Greece, "RAM", had an article in February 2004 named "Windows Longhorn: The new windows". I read it all. It said about microsoft plans about Longhorn. No Vista at all. The first beta I got was an original Vista RC1 disk in 2006, which came with the magazine. 6 months later, I got my long awaited 1mbit internet connection, and started to download from all over the web. You know, maximum internet connections here in greece are 24mb/s down - 1mb/s up, but it's quite expensive. Now I have a 2mb/s down/256kb/s up and downloading all Longhorn betas. I'll do some really contributing posts and donate 15$ to gain access at this unique Betaarchive ftp server.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:21 am 
FTP Access

early longhorn builds at OSBA

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:05 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows
Well this is simple.. back in 2000 ( I was 10) one of my old brother friends (Harry) started this company and they got in contact with Microsoft and stuff, they made tons of software and I was just wondering and one day asked Harry and he took me to the company and showed me what they were doing.
I love what I saw and I told him I wanted to do the same..
Since then I started looking and playing with Visual Basic , Windows and lots of other stuff.
I was contacted thanks to Harry by Microsoft to participate on the Windows .NET Beta program.
And since then Microsoft has been inviting me to beta programs.. not all but some… mostly Windows betas
In 2003 I saw the first longhorn build. I was already talking to people and I had some friends at some places. Like BetasIRC and WinBeta so I got the first LH build.
I started some “projects” using longhorn platform and the early Avalon and xml then Harry saw what I was doing and he told me if I wanted to work with him on the company. I started as a basic no0b developer but thanks to that I got in contact with my current friends at Microsoft they got me in to the beta program and thanks to ARDCorp I got to test and use some Longhorn builds (also thanks to the company I got the Microsoft Certification as Solution Developer in 2005).
Since then I been collecting the Longhorn bits and mostly that, I really don’t care much about old Windows 9x or Windows 3 stuff.. I just care about longhorn on Windows 7 I’m so no interested because for me 7 has lost its foundations and its begging ripped apart.
So yea my first alpha build is 3683.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:30 am 
Donator

WinHistory.DE :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:25 am 
FTP Access

I don't really remember but I think I was looking for something Windows 3.1-related on computing.net and stumbled across a link to winworld, browsed around a bit and found the Win9x betas they had. From that point on I've been interested in the progression of the points in between those which we all saw as 3.x, 95. 98, etc which I'd been interested in anyway, betas just added a much more complete picture of the overall progression of the life of Windows.

I have a thing for technical history, at least in the last few decades, from games consoles through to teletext, it's all good stuff and it's representative of a time when I was growing up and discovering all this wonderful technology so I'd rather it didn't disappear without me having a copy or representation of it. The downside to this of course is storage, you can only collect so much digital information.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:08 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Debian GNU/Linux 7.0
I got into beta collection when I found a torrent for Longhorn 3718, I spent hours on the internet looking for good sites till I found the beta-archive

Top  Profile