Best web design tool

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
stenorman2001

Best web design tool

Post by stenorman2001 »

What is the best web designer tool (Dreamweaver/Go Live etc.) in your opinion?

RentedMule
Donator

Ugh again

Post by RentedMule »

Notepad or equivelent. Funny IDE's that make your website based on burried template code is the reason the internet is the mess it is today.

Plain and simple, learn what you are doing, and youll leave these tools behind.

Vista Ultimate R2
FTP Access

Post by Vista Ultimate R2 »

I made my small website in MS FrontPage 2003 - I know it doesn't generate "pure code" or whatever you might call it, but it is:

>> Extremely easy to use (HTML coding isn't really an option for me - I'd like to be able to program but can't, so the HTML code looks baffling and it would be very difficult for a non-experienced coder to make much more than a text website with one or two pictures using HTML coding alone),
>> Displays fine in both IE and Firefox (as long as you check how it displays in both and adjust the position of things, because some things are in slightly different places in each browser so you need to make sure there's not 2 things overlapping in either) (and you must avoid all of the tools on the Drawing toolbar eg lines, Text Boxes, as Firefox hates them),
>> Produces a nice-looking website that you would not know was FrontPage unless you looked at the source code (as long as you avoid the built-in templates and do your own design from scratch).

I haven't tried Dreamweaver but people seem to say that it's quite good - it's more "professional" than FrontPage I think so is more powerful, but probably not quite as easy to use.

FrontPage is now called SharePoint Designer by the way, if you're looking for the latest (2007) version – I’m trying to find a copy but it seems very elusive at the moment. Or if you don't mind getting FP2003, you can get a free legit (not trial) version by sending off for the Small Business Server 2003 evaluation pack from Microsoft, if you're in the UK that is (they charge shipping costs for these packs if you're elsewhere).

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

For the best website hand coding is always a winner above WYSIWYG editors. I coded this site (not the forum) myself hand coded and all of my other sites as well.

___
Donator

Post by ___ »

i use Dreamweaver because thats what we used in my webdesign class this year (but we had to learn Coldfusion ), I can use notepad but I like the little extra things in Dreamweaver like the spell checker thing

m1rkd1rk

Post by m1rkd1rk »

How can anyone forget WebWeaver?

Once youve got the hang of that, the web is your oyster!

ddrmaxromance
FTP Access

Post by ddrmaxromance »

My website is actually undergoing construction. All of it was saved in FrontPage for organization purposes, but it's all strict HTML. However, I dislike the way Frontpage handles a lot of things to a website. I suggest Notepad.

If you own a Mac, and want a blog with RSS support, I suggest using RapidWeaver since it makes website creation and RSS so much easier.

Lastly, for iCandy, I use Paint Shop Pro, Macromedia Flash 8, and Paint. =P
Since January 2005, I've been in the Operating Systems Prototype Community. I've enjoyed learning more these past four years about the development of the Windows and Macintosh operating systems, as well as learning of new user-based projects that optimize system performance.

Frozenport
FTP Access
Location: The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Post by Frozenport »

I am a fan of FrontPage but I use it inconjunction with Dreamweaver...

I like FrontPage because I don't have to spend time with the anoying details and when I want to I hit the "Split" button and see both code and graphic editor.

It all really matters what you want... For some people Droople is enough
Part Time Troll - HPC Enthusiast - Spelling Master - Old Fart

theSpam
FTP Access

Post by theSpam »

I would say Notepad as things such as Dreamweaver add a lot of junk to my pages. For example, Dreamweaver adds attributes to tags despite the presence of a style sheet.

___
Donator

Post by ___ »

i always delete the extra stuff it adds

RentedMule
Donator

Post by RentedMule »

Thats what is called "counterproductive"
___ wrote:i always delete the extra stuff it adds

___
Donator

Post by ___ »

it isn't like the sites i make are that complex anyway

vel0city

Post by vel0city »

I use Dreamweaver, mainly for the cross-application support.

stealth
FTP Access

Post by stealth »

as a web designer / developer i mainly hard code my sites in notepad then check errors for various programs. i would recommend the following for skill level:

New:
Notepad
Microsoft Frontpage (i hate it to death though)
Macromedia Dreamweaver

Advance:
MS Expression Web Designer
Adobe GO Live

Grisa
FTP Access

Post by Grisa »

I prefer WYSIWYN (What-You-See-Is-What-You-Need) editors. The best for me is Bluefish (get a win32 build here), it's open-source and has a rather good interface. (Note: you must get GTK to run it, so grab the latest win32 binary from http://gladewin32.sourceforge.net/)

themodernizer

Post by themodernizer »

I prefer Microsoft Expression Web. It is similar to FrontPage, and features updated standards support.