BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 53d, 9h, 54m | CPU: 19% | MEM: 5703MB of 10731MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Building a PC (err... Hackintosh)        Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:57 am 
Donator

Grandmother wants to upgrade from her iMac G3 400Mhz :P
So far:

ASUS P5GC-MX - $54
Pentium Dual Core E2180 - $70
2GB 2x1GB Memory DDR2 - $46
Samsung 640GB SATA - $99
20x SATA Samsung DVD-RW - $25
SHAW Xtreme-550 Case - $39
19” 5ms DVI WS Acer X193B ($164 after $49 Cashback) - $213

Total: $546
After cashback: $497

She's got a keyboard/mouse and would hook up her stereo to it like she has done with her iMac...anythign else I should change/add/remove? Looks ok to me but yeah I just want a second opinion.

Most probably overkill for what she wants but it should last a few years. It would most likely run OSx86 (all she does is iTunes/Internet/Video and she likes OS X and would prefer to keep using it) instead of Windows.

Last edited by happy dude on Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:58 am 
Donator

Three trusted resources say that the onboard LAN on the P5GC-MX will not work on OSx86 but everything else (SATA) seems fine.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:06 am 
Donator

Only thing i can suggest is getting an ati graphics card (basic one) cause didn't they use them on macs at one point to ensure it runs well without onboard video stealing memory. A good card for thay pc if you did go for one would be a ATI Radeon HD 3450 256MB. For lan if you on board won't work grab a cheap 10/100 pci lan card and disable onboard if it won't work with OSx86.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:19 am 
Donator

win98 wrote:
Only thing i can suggest is getting an ati graphics card (basic one) cause didn't they use them on macs at one point to ensure it runs well without onboard video stealing memory. A good card for thay pc if you did go for one would be a ATI Radeon HD 3450 256MB. For lan if you on board won't work grab a cheap 10/100 pci lan card and disable onboard if it won't work with OSx86.

Apple also used Nvidea cards on eMacs, iMacs, Mac Pros, Power Macs, MacBook Pros and PowerBooks.

However the onboard video on this board, the Intel GMA 950, were used on most Intel-based Macs like the iMac, Mac mini and MacBook so it should be entirely compatible.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:35 am 
Donator

Apparently sound works on said motherboard, however you must patch OSx86 first for it to work.

I might still use this motherboard if I can get sound working... I've got a 10/100 NIC lying around and if worse comes to worse I'll just buy a Wifi adapter (even less cables, thats a bonus) :wink:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:27 am 
Donator

Yes, afaik, the sound will work if patched. It's just the onboard gigabit ethernet won't work.

Maybe some OS X kext making is in order...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:52 pm 
Donator

I just checked, the 640GB SATA HDD is now $89. :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:43 pm 
While I love Hackintoshes (I use mine quite often), do you think your grandma would be better off with a Mac mini? I'm assuming she's not a power user, so having that "Just Works" aspect of a real mac might be better.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:45 pm 
FTP Access

I'd say as long as you don't try to update without knowing what you're doing (just make sure automatic updating is turned off) a Hackintosh is as reliable as a real Mac once it has been configured (at least if you use the Apple kernel and keep it as close to the OS that Apple provides as possible).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:07 am 
Donator

Yes, most updates will kill the install so you'll have to either turn off Software Update, or tell your grandma that she must not install updates.

However, if she listens to music, she can update iTunes as many times as she likes.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:36 am 
Donator

TerraPhantm wrote:
While I love Hackintoshes (I use mine quite often), do you think your grandma would be better off with a Mac mini? I'm assuming she's not a power user, so having that "Just Works" aspect of a real mac might be better.

The thing is, she actually needs the 640GB of space configured in this Hackintosh :P she has ...alot of music. Plus she lives with me and teh rest of my family so if something breaks I'm in the room next door. :P

Vista R2, mdogg: Yes, I know abot the software updates... broke my original OSx86 install by updating. :(

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:52 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.7
Personally I find that while the GMA 950 is included with many mac products and you would think it would run great it does have a lot of mouse artifacts, where your pointer sticks in one place after moving the mouse and you can see two pointers for a brief period.

I can't say I've had experience with a dedicated graphics card but I would deffinately say it should improve the performance. I've experienced the artifacts on my sony hackintosh with simple tasks even just using iTunes.

Top  Profile  WWW