Windows 7 Beta: Which build was the last to include Microsoft Agent?

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
DeveloperPudu

Windows 7 Beta: Which build was the last to include Microsoft Agent?

Post by DeveloperPudu »

Alot of us know about the old ActiveX technology Microsoft Agent, a successor to the Actor code from Microsoft Bob and Office 97 released in 1997, which was included Windows 2000, ME, XP and Vista, in addition to being used for the Office Assistant feature in Office 2000, XP and 2003.

Starting in April 2009, support for Microsoft Agent was discontinued, only three months before Windows 7's RTM build was compiled and six months before the OS was released to general availability. Microsoft did release a hotfix for Windows 7 users that included a version of Agent utilizing SAPI 5.3 and included the character Merlin, but since sometime around the late-2010s that hotfix is no longer available.

However, while Microsoft Agent itself was removed from the final release of Windows 7, what nobody seems to know is that Microsoft Agent was probably removed during the development of Windows 7 somewhere between the Beta and Release Candidate builds. If this is true, then which Windows 7 build Microsoft Agent was last included with is unknown for the time being.

If anyone has ever tried looking into the Windows 7 Beta and Release Candidate builds regarding the possible removal of Microsoft Agent during these development stages, let me know about it.

anonymous74
FTP Access

Re: Windows 7 Beta: Which build was the last to include Microsoft Agent?

Post by anonymous74 »

What folder/location on the drive is agent stored in normally on vista for instance? I'd love to try and help, unfortunately though I lost my full collection of Windows 7 beta VMs due to a hard drive failure a few months back, but I'll be re-installing them soon and will be able to help then.
I collect old laptops and mess with old software.

My chosen virtual machine programs:
Win 9x+, Intel macOS: VMware
9x as well (and earlier): 86box
PPC Mac OS: QEMU

Current Projects: Installing every beta build of Windows Me in VMware and recovering from data loss. (viewtopic.php?p=468094#p468094)
Past Projects: Installing every beta build of Windows XP, Longhorn, Vista, and Windows 7 in VMware (https://www.betaarchive.com/wiki/index. ... nonymous74)

DeveloperPudu

Re: Windows 7 Beta: Which build was the last to include Microsoft Agent?

Post by DeveloperPudu »

In Windows 2000, ME, XP and Vista, Microsoft Agent is stored in C:/Windows/MSAgent, hopefully this is the info of finding out which build of Windows 7 removed this folder during its development.