Leftovers from old Windows versions

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
tulgartezel00

Re: Leftovers from old Windows versions

Post by tulgartezel00 »

There is an Longhorn recycle bin icon in Windows Vista RTM, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1. Thanks they removed in Windows 10.

TechyTommy

Post by TechyTommy »

tulgartezel00 wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:35 am
There is an Longhorn recycle bin icon in Windows Vista RTM, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1. Thanks they removed in Windows 10.
Where can you find that recycle bin icon?

Googulator
FTP Access

Post by Googulator »

Zacchi4k wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:27 pm
ElementalChaos wrote:I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it yet, unless I just didn't notice, but.

The icon for the Offline Web Pages folders in C:\Windows hasn't been updated since at least Windows 95. Screenshot from Windows 10.

Yeah I've noticed that too.
Still there in Windows 11 too, even though Internet Explorer, which this belonged to, is long gone! Furthermore, clicking it actually causes a Vista-era "Organize" bar to show up, which remains there until the Explorer window is closed. Clicking the "View" icon on the Organize bar then reveals the old slider-based View UI from Vista.

TechyTommy

Post by TechyTommy »

Googulator wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:26 am
Zacchi4k wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:27 pm
ElementalChaos wrote:I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it yet, unless I just didn't notice, but.

The icon for the Offline Web Pages folders in C:\Windows hasn't been updated since at least Windows 95. Screenshot from Windows 10.

Yeah I've noticed that too.
Still there in Windows 11 too, even though Internet Explorer, which this belonged to, is long gone! Furthermore, clicking it actually causes a Vista-era "Organize" bar to show up, which remains there until the Explorer window is closed. Clicking the "View" icon on the Organize bar then reveals the old slider-based View UI from Vista.
Well, I think Windows 11's version of Microsoft Edge has Internet Explorer mode. They might have kept that for compatibility for that. But, the only people that would use it is businesses and very little home users. They should remove IE mode from Windows 11 Home.

KTRMAmbiance

Leftovers from old Windows versions

Post by KTRMAmbiance »

The icon for DEP (Data Execution Prevention) was never updated since Windows XP, here from Windows 11:

Karzahni wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:50 am
Some things I extracted from ntoskrnl.exe (already been mentioned in other threads)

Oh forgot to mention this is in Windows 7 by the way.

They were still in Windows 10 (and possibly 11 as well) IIRC

SONBTV

Post by SONBTV »

Googulator wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:26 am
Internet Explorer is long gone
In Windows 11, Internet Explorer 11 can be launched by replacing ieframe.dll in both System32 and SysWOW64 with 21382.1000's one
Last edited by SONBTV on Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#russiapleasestopinvasiontoukraine

Googulator
FTP Access

Post by Googulator »

But I have a feeling this "Offline Web pages" folder has not been used since the Windows 9x era, as it's user data in C:\Windows, thus not compatible with Windows NT user accounts.

FarmerCars789

Post by FarmerCars789 »

TechyTommy wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:29 pm
tulgartezel00 wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:35 am
Where can you find that recycle bin icon?
It's in shell32.dll, you can see it with a resource editor or something like that.