Project: Installing every beta build of Windows Me in VMware!

Discuss Windows 95, 98 and ME.
anonymous74
FTP Access

Project: Installing every beta build of Windows Me in VMware!

Post by anonymous74 »

Here we go again...

I've already done one of these projects on Windows XP, Pre-Reset Longhorn, Windows Vista, and Windows 7, and now I'm going for a slightly older OS. The project is as the title states, I will be attempting to get every single Beta build of Windows Me running inside of VMware virtual machine. I don't count RC (Release Candidate) builds for these projects because they are so similar to the RTM build, I'll just end up getting really bored really quickly. The end goal here is to have every beta build of Windows running in a VM.

Why would I spend the time to do this? What's the point? Fun, of course! Plus, I like seeing the evolution of Windows just as much as the rest of this forum, and sometimes installing and checking out every build is just the best way. What else am I going to use my new 2TB SSD and 4TB HDD for?

Due to how long I tend to take on these projects, and the 30 day edit limit on posts here, I'll be keeping track of my progress on my user page on the BA Wiki as I've done in the past.
Link: https://www.betaarchive.com/wiki/index. ... ildproject

Here's a bit of information on the information I have on the BA Wiki Page:

Information about build interest ratings:
The more interesting a build is, the higher value /10 it gets. The longer it has been since a new interesting feature in a build, the lower score it gets. For me, visual changes make a build more interesting so that is the most important metric in determining this value.

About Screenshots:
In the past, I have linked screenshots of every build I installed with winver or similar open. Since migrating to the BA Wiki for my progress tracker, I still haven't taken the time to figure out how to add a screenshot gallery. I will go back and do this for both my Windows 7 project and this project at some point (I'll be keeping these VMs for as long as I can!), just bear with me for now.

Past Projects:
See my signature below.

Is Windows Me really as bad as people say? I suppose I'll find out!

Wish me luck!
My chosen virtual machine programs:
Windows 9x+, Intel macOS: VMware Workstation Pro 16
Older than 9x: PCEm
PPC Mac OS: QEMU

Current Projects: Installing every beta build of Windows Me in VMware (viewtopic.php?p=468094#p468094)
Past Projects: Installing every beta build of Windows XP, Longhorn, Vista, and Windows 7 in VMware (https://www.betaarchive.com/wiki/index. ... nonymous74)

techLinuxtux

Re: Project: Installing every beta build of Windows Me in VMware!

Post by techLinuxtux »

Damn I haven't been on this forum for a LONG Time and you've got to this! I hope we can get more updates :)

2004/2005 roblox rating images: :D :) :(

anonymous74
FTP Access

Post by anonymous74 »

I've got 5 of the 20 installed so far. The main struggle is keeping control over the BIOS Date. As soon as you install VMware tools, it time-syncs and boom, timebomb tripped. I found a patch but it causes the build to have the RTM bootscreen, which I don't want, so instead I'm just leaving a boot floppy in the drive so that if I miss F2 to BIOS it won't trip the build. It's working, but I did have to re-install build 2348 some 4 odd times before I figured that trick out.

Current Projects: Installing every beta build of Windows Me in VMware (viewtopic.php?p=468094#p468094)
Past Projects: Installing every beta build of Windows XP, Longhorn, Vista, and Windows 7 in VMware (https://www.betaarchive.com/wiki/index. ... nonymous74)

LetsLeakOurHardWork

Post by LetsLeakOurHardWork »

Okay, this sounds pretty interesting to me. I don't get the point of it, but it's interesting! :D
let's leak our hard work

I don't have FTP access.
Do your country a favor - put these on Google Drive or something!

anonymous74
FTP Access

Post by anonymous74 »

The point of it is.......why not!

TechGamer17
FTP Access

Post by TechGamer17 »

You can disable the VMWare time syncing in the options of the VM I think.
hmm

anonymous74
FTP Access

Post by anonymous74 »

I tried a tutorial that gave me lines to add to my vmx file and it corrupted the vm lol. I’ll have to try it again.