How Do I turn my Spare PC into a FTP

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Beta Freak

How Do I turn my Spare PC into a FTP

Post by Beta Freak »

I think I am going to dedicate my Spare PC as an FTP for BetaArchive but I have no idea how to do this.
Can anyone talk me through it?

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

Well, first you have to set up an FTP server, a good free one for Windows is "FileZilla Server". If you use Linux/Unix, there's likely a FTP server already installed which just needs to be configured and enabled. You decide which directory/-ies is/are to be shared, which permissions are to be set and create the user accounts and the passwords that have access to them. Then, you have to open the FTP port (21 usually, but you can of course change it if you don't want your ftp to be accessible too easy) in your firewall(s) and forward the port to your FTP server PC if you're behind a router (this is done in the router setup interface). If this works up to here, the last thing I'd do is install and register a No-IP service so that your server is always available with a fixed name, regardless of its IP address. I'm sure someone else will be able to explain this more detailedly, but in short, these are the steps to get you up and running, err, no. serving!

Beta Freak

Post by Beta Freak »

I have all this set up now, I can access it from my other Computers using the internal IP address, but in my router settings it lets me update all my DynDNS stuff but it wont let me connect through it to the ftp.
Can anybody help?

Axalon

Post by Axalon »

Try setting the server to a port other than 21. It's possible your ISP is blocking it.

Beta Freak

Post by Beta Freak »

Fixed it, ports needed opening.
Edit: Got the DynDNS sorted as well, it seems to be working now but could someone check it for me?
If you can send me a PM.

Gnome
Staff

hi

Post by Gnome »

dou you need a fixed ip for an ftp server ive got a dell wating to be used